Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
How could anyone "like" Guadalupe? You don't need a sign to tell you when you've arrived there.... Or when you leave.
I don't mind it it has some great Mexican market and food options. Never did anything to me and breaks up monotony.

I personally dislike the suburbs that don't add anything at all except chains and stucco boxes.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 AM

586 posts, read 541,703 times
For the record I've been to Scottsdale many times and have never met these Snobs I keep hearing about? Always met normal people who engaged in normal conversation. Not saying they don't exist but it doesn't seem to be the norm to me. But then again I wasn't looking for a reason to hate the place either!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Gotcha. There's no one size fits all answer here. We're fortunate that we live in a place with so many options, suited to many different lifestyles.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The poll is about least favorite suburbs. It doesn't matter how many of you like lots of restaurants and nightlife, some of us don't need that. I spend my winter in South Goodyear. I rarely go out to eat and when I do a franchise serves me quite fine. I don't shop much but when I do Outlets serve my purpose very well. I golf everyday so a Membership serves me well to reduce cost. I don't like traffic. I go to Pro sports events and all the pro sports are around 30 minutes drive for me.

Now someone tell in what way Scottsdale should be more appealing to me rather than my Westside neighbourhood of Estrella?? I don't have any negativity towards Scottsdale residents but that part of the City has little to offer me other than a higher price for everything I do and traffic hassles.
People have preferences however if restaurants and nightlife are important to you than Scottsdale is #1 for that in the Valley. As a Glendale resident almost the entire West Valley is all chain restaurants and dive bars. This works for some people but not everyone. The benefit is lower COL which is a huge plus to the majority of people for the West Valley.

I'm just arguing how almost everyone who voted Scottdale as LEAST (meaning in their eyes the worst) suburb of Phoenix metro just because of the people was silly.

No one here said Scottsdale was better than Goodyear because of that alone. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
Quote:
The poll is about least favorite suburbs. It doesn't matter how many of you like lots of restaurants and nightlife, some of us don't need that. I spend my winter in South Goodyear. I rarely go out to eat and when I do a franchise serves me quite fine. I don't shop much but when I do Outlets serve my purpose very well. I golf everyday so a Membership serves me well to reduce cost. I don't like traffic. I go to Pro sports events and all the pro sports are around 30 minutes drive for me.

Now someone tell in what way Scottsdale should be more appealing to me rather than my Westside neighbourhood of Estrella?? I don't have any negativity towards Scottsdale residents but that part of the City has little to offer me other than a higher price for everything I do and traffic hassles.
You remind me of the people who have the money to buy a Corvette, but would rather buy two Camrys instead, simply because they're more practical and less flashy. I would rather be around unique places than Dollar Generals, etc.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:39 AM

482 posts, read 533,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I personally dislike the suburbs that don't add anything at all except chains and stucco boxes.
And I dislike suburbs that look like stink holes. i.e. Guadalupe.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 PM

586 posts, read 541,703 times
So would you suggest I pay more for house, golf, restaurants and so on just so I can say I live in Scottsdale?? Not sure how that makes any sense if I just want to live a less congested life? Should I just go to anything that charges more so I can rid myself of more money, does that make me happier?? I'm having trouble understanding your point. And I bought the Porsche as I'm not really a Chevy guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You remind me of the people who have the money to buy a Corvette, but would rather buy two Camrys instead, simply because they're more practical and less flashy. I would rather be around unique places than Dollar Generals, etc.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM

394 posts, read 343,271 times
Quote:
So would you suggest I pay more for house, golf, restaurants and so on just so I can say I live in Scottsdale?? Not sure how that makes any sense if I just want to live a less congested life? Should I just go to anything that charges more so I can rid myself of more money, does that make me happier?? I'm having trouble understanding your point. And I bought the Porsche as I'm not really a Chevy guy.
It's funny how some people think those of us that prefer rural and have reasons to be in the West Valley must be due to low income...

I'm heading to AZ from So Cal... Been around that mentality for decades... I'm done with the over-crowded over-priced nonsense. I've always lived 3-15 miles from the coast (mostly in OC) and have seen the same phenomenon... I'm now only interested in peaceful, less crowded rural living... Buckeye is enticing to me and it has nothing to do with what I can afford. (easier access to CA is part of it too - for visitors coming here and me dealing with work)

I've been house hunting and can't find the draw to ease valley... It seems crowded and not as many new developments (from what I've seen - but I haven't looked extensively on the east side).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I understand your point of view... I don't see the benefit either - and the main response I see from people in the east valley when referring to West valley is "cost". It's way more than that to me.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:42 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
And I dislike suburbs that look like stink holes. i.e. Guadalupe.
I'd call Tolleson more of a stinkhole than Guadalupe.

Guadalupe isn't pretty to look at but it has its own form of culture and character.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 AM

482 posts, read 533,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Guadalupe isn't pretty to look at but it has its own form of culture and character.
So does a junk yard.

Look at home prices. It will prove your lack of taste, and knowledge at the same time.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
It's funny how some people think those of us that prefer rural and have reasons to be in the West Valley must be due to low income...

I'm heading to AZ from So Cal... Been around that mentality for decades... I'm done with the over-crowded over-priced nonsense. I've always lived 3-15 miles from the coast (mostly in OC) and have seen the same phenomenon... I'm now only interested in peaceful, less crowded rural living... Buckeye is enticing to me and it has nothing to do with what I can afford. (easier access to CA is part of it too - for visitors coming here and me dealing with work)

I've been house hunting and can't find the draw to ease valley... It seems crowded and not as many new developments (from what I've seen - but I haven't looked extensively on the east side).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I understand your point of view... I don't see the benefit either - and the main response I see from people in the east valley when referring to West valley is "cost". It's way more than that to me.
You've hit it on the head. I'd much,much rather have a half acre or more between me and my neighbors than live in the "it" place wherever that is. I've lived in the "it" place a few times and lived in the "dump" place a couple of times and finally realized having space around you is the real "it" place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area