Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,518,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's going to be a tough series for the Coyotes but I think they will prevail in 7. I'll gladly cheer 'em on until (if/when) they encounter the Wings.
I will too.

I have a funny feeling most of the NHL-Coyotes fans in all of Phoenix are right here on this forum board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 AM

69 posts, read 156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
Nice job, stereotyping a whole city. I'm employed, educated (going for Masters) and dont get into fights. I'm from Philly and unlike some random, west coast cities () we actually support our teams.

Heard KC has a brand spanking new arena just waiting for the Yotes to show up...

Good day.

So Bryz seems like he's in playoff mode. 3 goals allowed in the first 13 shots.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,032,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
Nice job, stereotyping a whole city. I'm employed, educated (going for Masters) and dont get into fights. I'm from Philly and unlike some random, west coast cities () we actually support our teams.

Heard KC has a brand spanking new arena just waiting for the Yotes to show up...

Good day.
Your stadia is also centrally located and easy to access via public transportation.

The Yotes are in Glendale and most people would have a nightmare getting there by bus.

Apples and oranges.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,265,181 times
Woohoo I got tickets for game 2, excited. My first live playoff game ever. Can't wait.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,278,073 times
Quote:
Your stadia is also centrally located and easy to access via public transportation.

The Yotes are in Glendale and most people would have a nightmare getting there by bus.

Apples and oranges.
Half true

The sports complexes in philly are not centrally located

they are very easy to access either by public transport of the adjacent freeway .... although living in the city I can only think of a couple times where we actually drove to games .... usually just connected into the broad street line and took it south

Also, Philly is not Phoenix ...... in Philly using public transport is common ..... in Phoenix it is not ...... car ownership is much higher here ....... while it's difficult to get there by bus it isn't super impactful as this is a driving city, not a riding city

Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,032,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Half true

The sports complexes in philly are not centrally located

they are very easy to access either by public transport of the adjacent freeway .... although living in the city I can only think of a couple times where we actually drove to games .... usually just connected into the broad street line and took it south

Also, Philly is not Phoenix ...... in Philly using public transport is common ..... in Phoenix it is not ...... car ownership is much higher here ....... while it's difficult to get there by bus it isn't super impactful as this is a driving city, not a riding city
It's centrally located by my standards. It's easy access for anyone in Philly and the metro area. Getting to the complex is a breeze. Even by car it's just minutes from downtown. Compaired to here it's centrally located for sure.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM

39,162 posts, read 51,452,938 times
Quote:
It's centrally located by my standards. It's easy access for anyone in Philly and the metro area. Getting to the complex is a breeze. Even by car it's just minutes from downtown. Compaired to here it's centrally located for sure.
Actually it is pretty easy to get to here as well. The arena is easily less than 1 hour away from the vast majority of the valley. I don't know about Philly, but I bet it takes just as long on public transportation for many fans there. Yes, you drive there. You drive everywhere in Phoenix. The arena is right off a major freeway that has modern exits and ramps, wide roads and signals that make getting in and out as effortless as this sort of thing can be. There is ample parking adjacent to and on the same level as the arena that requires no negotiation of elevators or stairs. You cross the street and you are there. The complex in which the arena is located also hosts numerous restaurants and bars clustered in a walkable configuration around the arena to gather before and after the game. Heck, you can even go to a movie and do a little shopping before the game. The problem is more about the team (and fickle/bandwagon fans in Phoenix) than the venue.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM

69 posts, read 156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually it is pretty easy to get to here as well. The arena is easily less than 1 hour away from the vast majority of the valley. I don't know about Philly, but I bet it takes just as long on public transportation for many fans there. Yes, you drive there. You drive everywhere in Phoenix. The arena is right off a major freeway that has modern exits and ramps, wide roads and signals that make getting in and out as effortless as this sort of thing can be. There is ample parking adjacent to and on the same level as the arena that requires no negotiation of elevators or stairs. You cross the street and you are there. The complex in which the arena is located also hosts numerous restaurants and bars clustered in a walkable configuration around the arena to gather before and after the game. Heck, you can even go to a movie and do a little shopping before the game. The problem is more about the team (and fickle/bandwagon fans in Phoenix) than the venue.

In my opinion, Phoenix is just not as good of a sports town than most other cities. As far as hockey goes, it's the perfect storm of reasons why there has been a persistent problem with attendance at the Coyotes games. Location, everyone is from somewhere else and follows there team, no winter time park hockey, and ownership issues.

I want the Yotes to stay, I love going to the games and follow them on TV. That said, PHX has many issues that hold back a NHL team from reaching the profitability of more east coast and northern teams.

It's funny because all of the xtra910 sports talk radio hosts talk about how they love the Coyotes, yet spend more time on out of market non NHL material than they do on the Yotes. The only time you hear about the Coyotes is during the playoffs. Some would argue that the demand for listeners is not there for more coverage, I would say that the media in general pushes what they want to increase coverage and not always based on demand.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM

39,162 posts, read 51,452,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
In my opinion, Phoenix is just not as good of a sports town than most other cities. As far as hockey goes, it's the perfect storm of reasons why there has been a persistent problem with attendance at the Coyotes games. Location, everyone is from somewhere else and follows there team, no winter time park hockey, and ownership issues.

I want the Yotes to stay, I love going to the games and follow them on TV. That said, PHX has many issues that hold back a NHL team from reaching the profitability of more east coast and northern teams.

It's funny because all of the xtra910 sports talk radio hosts talk about how they love the Coyotes, yet spend more time on out of market non NHL material than they do on the Yotes. The only time you hear about the Coyotes is during the playoffs. Some would argue that the demand for listeners is not there for more coverage, I would say that the media in general pushes what they want to increase coverage and not always based on demand.
I was at Westgate a couple nights ago and was talking to waiters, shoppers, that we ran into about the buzz over the playoffs. I was surprised at how popular hockey actually is. Admittedly, people milling there might be more attuned to the game than your average Joe, but still. Overall though, you gotta win consistently in this town. You need promotion and advertising and such as well. You don't inherit fans here, they are nurtured. The Coyotes just seem to be terrible at that. Even though the arena is half empty the prices are too steep. The Roadrunners of old did a lot better. There was always some "night" promotion it seemed. We used to go as groups from work to those games. They were a lot of fun with good seats and plenty of action. I think with a good management group and some work they could do much better.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,278,073 times
Quote:
Hey - well at least it's your standards..........

Not to mention that in reality the sports complexes are tucked into the southern edge of the metro not far from the navy yard in a neighborhood that really has zero other reason to be there aside from the sports complexes

It's really not central to the area ....... most of the population is coming from the north and converging from all directions

however, the geographic footprint of these two cities is again vastly different

you put the phoenix metro on an overlay map it's just so vastly different - you really can't compare

if you look at the population in philly in a 6mi X 6mi segment it's massive and is intersected by the market franford line and the broad street line ... with a variety of trolley & bus service to connect

it's complete apples & oranges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area