Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,294,256 times

Advertisements

ASU anything > Hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,249,956 times
ASU Hockey?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,510,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Phoenix will lose its hockey team, because it has never been able to support one. Thats why the team is bankrupt and why they cant fill the stadium. No amount of taxpayer dollars will be able to help the Coyotes. You cant force a market where there isnt one. Hockey is a sport meant to be played in cold climates. The question is where will the Coyotes relocate? Their best options are Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Kansas City or Cleveland.
I really hate to agree with these statements but they are true.

The NHL fanbase is very limited in the desert southwest.

I'll bet my small hometown of Marquette, Michigan has more hockey fans than all of metropolitan Phoenix.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,249,956 times
Yet professional hockey has been played here in one shape or form for around 45 years (although from '79-'89 there was no team as the PHL ceased operations) ...............

Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Phoenix will lose its hockey team, because it has never been able to support one. Thats why the team is bankrupt and why they cant fill the stadium. No amount of taxpayer dollars will be able to help the Coyotes. You cant force a market where there isnt one. Hockey is a sport meant to be played in cold climates. The question is where will the Coyotes relocate? Their best options are Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Kansas City or Cleveland.
Right that's why it's succeeded in Anaheim, Dallas and San Jose...really cold cities!

The location is hurting the team. And this is not picking on the West Side, if you put the team in Gilbert, you would have the same issues. The team needs to be more centrally located where businesses, lawyers etc can purchase suites and take clients to games. A lot of the big money is avoiding the Coyotes because the location is impractical and people are not going to drive an hour to see them during the week. It is a tragedy because if Los Arcos had become the home of the Coyotes, a lot of these problems would have been avoided. You can get away with NFL games in Glendale because there are only 8 home games and they are all on Sunday but hockey is not practical in Glendale.

The only way hockey will survive in Glendale is if the team were to obtain a great owner who invested in the team and made them a contender. The Valley would jump on the bandwagon and people would be excited and attend games. But a mediocre to above average team is not going to succeed in Glendale.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,971 times
How sad, I love NHL and love finally living so close to a stadium. I went to 2 Yotes games my first week here. Oh well. I liked it while it lasted LOL.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,624,054 times
Go Yotes!
Go Devils!
I love ya both!!! Never seen a coyote with devil horns and tail I didn't like. Don't worry, we like them all. We are just a little relaxed about our love.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
How sad, I love NHL and love finally living so close to a stadium. I went to 2 Yotes games my first week here. Oh well. I liked it while it lasted LOL.
They had a chance with Hulsizer but the city of Glendale messed it up. They keep mentioning prospective owners but those reports really have no substance and the local media can never provide substantive details other than "reports" meaning there is no serious interest in the team.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,726,432 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I personally agree more fans would attend if it was Downtown as well. Let me ask all this playoff question.

I do not believe we match up well against Detroit or Chicago. HOWEVER, I believe ST Louis and Vancouver are inexperienced (STL) or soft (Canucks). Do we hope for:

A) Win our first division title and likely fail to advance past Chicago or Detroit
B) Get the 7th or 8th Seed and win a Playoff Series for the first time ever since relocating here

I personally feel B would be more fulfilling if I had the choice.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,971 times
I don't know, I hope they go far but not against St Louis, cause that's my team
I'd probably rather them get 7th or 8th and win a series, that is the better option versus winning division, but losing first round. The title is nice, but you wanna go as far as you can, I'd think.
I enjoyed watching them (on TV) before I moved here. I would like to see them do well even if they do get moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area