Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,795,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Are you kidding me? This isn't an attack by the Borg, it's a life changing, expensive, exhausting and never ending decision. When I see comments like this, they bother me, as I don't believe people just change their mind as they get older if they really don't want children, despite the constant reminders from "well meaning" others that they will.

Nice that you found that special someone and are financially able to procreate, but not everyone is in that position or wants to be.
Casting aspersions on her reality and character is as unfair as those who tell those who choose not to have children that they are selfish.

There is nothing wrong with changing ones mind, or not. But just because you are completely sure of your decision does not mean lots of people don't change their mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,862,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I would have totally agreed with you about 20 years ago. I was disgusted by families and couldn't imagine why anyone would actually want a child. Then I met someone special, became financially and physically settled, and realized that I was at the end of the time when it would even be physically possible to have a child. I changed my mind rather suddenly, and then I wanted children as much as I used to not want them. Now I have one, and I have turned into the very kind of person I used to look down on. Someday it could happen to you, too. You know, resistance is futile and all that....
Puhleese. Dont give me that "resistance is futile" . My mind is totally made up on this. Even if down the line I wanted kids, the economics would scare me right back into childfree village. Less people are gonna be able to be raise kids economically as the future goes on. I think even more are gonna decide it ain't worth it to reproduce.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM

541 posts, read 863,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Casting aspersions on her reality and character is as unfair as those who tell those who choose not to have children that they are selfish.

There is nothing wrong with changing ones mind, or not. But just because you are completely sure of your decision does not mean lots of people don't change their mind.
I think you need to re-read my post because you have most certainly misconstrued it. Then again, having read your snarky replies to others who show disinterest in having children, regardless of the logic, the response to my post doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I think you need to re-read my post because you have most certainly misconstrued it. Then again, having read your snarky replies to others who show disinterest in having children, regardless of the logic, the response to my post doesn't surprise me in the least.
You mean like this one, from the first page?

Quote:
No it is selfish to have children that you do not REALLY want to meet some societal expectation.
I came to this thread like most of the parents (seriously go read the first few pages) with the idea that everyone has the right to choose for themselves, and those without children were the ones in danger of being "bashed". That was not the case in the slightest.

I have never been one to think life revolves solely around procreation (after all as CR says "even roaches have kids") but for many of those with out children, they have replaced a child centered pov, with a money centered one and then brag as it were something to be proud of. Not an improvement in anyway.

I do not like little dogs, but I would not say to a someone who has one "I would happily stand by and watch your dog die" yet this subset of humanty, the child-free, thinks that is completely acceptable by the fact no one from their camp called this person out for this.

To be very honest, the mild mhypocrisy of your post is the least bothersome in this thread. Yet, I came here looking to reach out to people who were more similar than different and instead found a group of people who appear as a group to be unkind, lacking in judgement, hypocritical, and bigots.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,862,320 times
Quote:
I came to this thread like most of the parents (seriously go read the first few pages) with the idea that everyone has the right to choose for themselves, and those without children were the ones in danger of being "bashed". That was not the case in the slightest.

I have never been one to think life revolves solely around procreation (after all as CR says "even roaches have kids") but for many of those with out children, they have replaced a child centered pov, with a money centered one and then brag as it were something to be proud of. Not an improvement in anyway.

I do not like little dogs, but I would not say to a someone who has one "I would happily stand by and watch your dog die" yet this subset of humanty, the child-free, thinks that is completely acceptable by the fact no one from their camp called this person out for this.

To be very honest, the mild mhypocrisy of your post is the least bothersome in this thread. Yet, I came here looking to reach out to people who were more similar than different and instead found a group of people who appear as a group to be unkind, lacking in judgement, hypocritical, and bigots.
Think about your last statement and look in the mirror. That is all I'm saying, look in your mirror.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Think about your last statement and look in the mirror. That is all I'm saying, look in your mirror.
Read my first few posts and then YOU look in the mirror.

I fully support anyone's right to not have children and not have to give any reason. When I said that very same thing to you, you jumped all over me. YOU are the reason I have come to think so poorly of the child free as a group. I can only hope you are not representative of the group, but considering no one else in your group has stepped up and called out the actions of you and your friend as being unacceptable, I have to assume it is the norm.

It is a real shame.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,461,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'll bet there are more than a few older women living in poverty who, children or not, wished they'd spent more time making a living and taking care of their own business.

To the poster who says anyone with hatred/animosity towards children should "get help," I say, why? I'm not going to go out of my way to hurt a child, in fact, I go out of my way to avoid contact with them because I just don't like the state of childhood (and didn't like it when I was short and broke and powerless). I find babies repulsive. Why should I see a therapist about that? How about just not having one and avoiding contact with them?
Fair enough. Nowadays they'll send you to "get help" for just about anything so take it with a grain of salt. Usually it is to be "helped" to think more like the mainstream does, that's what the "help" is about.

I am a mother of two...and frankly speaking I rarely see a child (other than my own) whom I find truly endearing. I kind of just...tolerate other people's children.
Exceptions exist, of course, as I have seen a few children in my life who were just absolutely adorable and I just wanted to eat them up even if they were not mine.
But most of them - nuh-huh. Must be some some inborn selfish genetic thing...either way, I am sure they'd send me to get "help" for that too.

If you find babies repulsive, you just do and that's perfectly fine. Believe me, I am nothing but grateful to people like you. You have provided one less competitor for my kids when they will apply to that coveted program or that decently paid job. Thank you again.

Last edited by syracusa; 02-12-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You know, I guess I don't understand why someone would not "like" children.
Children are fundamentally in need of constant care and help. Nowadays they also need a tremendous amount of attention and they also make quite a bit of noise in the house as "running in the fields and forests" died long time ago. This can get extremely burdensome, in and of itself.
Some people do not have the energy, the breath, the resourcefulness to deal with that. They simply want a lighter life. Sue them for that.

As parenting requires more and more of parents and as 7 billion people aspire to live modern, technologically advanced lives - the species is responding by producing more individuals who will say "Thanks - but no thanks". I think it's perfectly natural. I attribute this "gay movement" thing to the same wisdom of the species.

When humans will once again be scarce and truly needed - watch everyone turning into rabbits once again.
Until then - we're cool.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree with this too; while I understand the biological urge to have children is usually irresistible, the fact is there aren't enough Earths in our solar system to provide the natural resources necessary for even the Chinese to share our lifestyle. There are simply too many people on this planet consuming too many natural resources and when those resources run out or get too pricey due to demand, it's gonna get UGLY. Hopefully I'll be gone by then.
Everyone should recite this paragraph every night before or after prayer. I think "before" would work best.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's always a pissing match between those who go all googly-eyed over babies and think people who don't have them are selfish, and those who love to tick parents off being as obnoxious and demeaning about children as they possibly can. For goodness sakes, have children, or don't have children. Why can't people just live and let live.
Because people can't "live and let live" with 7 billion neighbors - by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy