Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 AM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times

Advertisements

I am finally really curious.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.
Areas of inquiry

Philosophy is divided into many sub-fields. These include epistemology, logic, metaphysics, ethics, and aesthetics

How in the world did this forum here become plagued with "should we have or not have children" and its variations threads? How "philosophical" is this? And they keep coming and coming and coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM

802 posts, read 985,844 times
The topic of philosophy and its influence on children would be a fascinating field of discussion, I should think. They seem born with the kind of questions tailormade for philosophical inquiry - "why do some stars twinkle and others don't?" "why are some people mean?" "why should I share my toys?" "who am I?" "of course, I can talk to my cat. why can't you?"

Of course, parents and teachers may have a devil of a time trying to answer (or argue with) a child who masters the fundamentals of inquiry, discussion. and reason. Maybe that is why it is not part of school curriculum.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,653 times
Lots of threads are about the ethics of reproducing. Ethics is subfield of philosophy isn't it?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,307,187 times
I guess it became "plagued" with such threads because you never started a better one.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
This is not really a philosophy forum, rather a place for some really disturbed people to b*tch and moan at random groups.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 AM

5,545 posts, read 3,958,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am finally really curious.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.
Areas of inquiry

Philosophy is divided into many sub-fields. These include epistemology, logic, metaphysics, ethics, and aesthetics

How in the world did this forum here become plagued with "should we have or not have children" and its variations threads? How "philosophical" is this? And they keep coming and coming and coming.
Yeah, this forum is generally lacking. Yourself not exempted. However, philosophy is essentially subsumed by the sciences these days. Metaphysics and ethics are dead. Aesthetics remains a subjective discipline, which is to say dead. [Deductive/inductive both] Logic is borderline-commonsensical in this society. Epistemology is subject to precise neuroscientific definition--an open question to some extent, but we can presumably imagine the forces that determine our own beliefs. Presumably. Probably not in this thread, were I to guess the comments that will follow this one.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
In practical terms, Philosophy (as implied by this forum title) is the gathering of a lot of related pieces of information and distilling them down to a single principle that would be valid to describe all of them. Somewhat like defining words, to include all members of the class.

An example would be defining solid, liquid and gas. Solid retains its size and shape, liquid retains its size but assumes the shape of the container, gas reforms in shape and shape to fill the whole container.

Philosophy is the process of converting a complex world into simple compartments.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times
And that ^^^^ somehow has to do with "why men ware long fingernails" and yet 2 more threads on "children".

Philosophy is a fundamental science, one and only, that can give answers to things, no other science can. Why would you mix in such trivia? Don't we have better suited sub forums here, like Psychology, or Fashion and Beauty? Or a poster simply picks a booger, stares at it, and says - wow, what a philosophical thing to post in Philosophy forum?

Truly, I can give you answer to any of those questions.

It's FORTY TWO.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM

13,673 posts, read 9,752,216 times
Philosophical questions can be grouped into two categories: questions about the world (why is there something instead of nothing, is there an intelligence supervising the universe, is a universal concept of justice possible) and questions about ourselves.

Of the latter, in my view, the chief question is: is the human condition something to be celebrated and enjoyed, grudgingly tolerated, or eliminated? From this follow the questions about having children. These are not about children themselves, or about personal lifestyle decisions. They are about whether humans, as a species, ought to voluntarily stop its continuation, because of insights that we've gleaned about ourselves.

To some people, this whole question is patently silly, because humans (just as other animals) will keep reproducing by evolved instinct. Others would say that we make conscious and rational decisions to reproduce, because in our estimation, the consequences of reproduction are on the whole positive. Still others take precisely the opposite view.

How are these not philosophical questions? How are they not important?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Philosophical questions can be grouped into two categories: questions about the world (why is there something instead of nothing, is there an intelligence supervising the universe, is a universal concept of justice possible) and questions about ourselves.

Of the latter, in my view, the chief question is: is the human condition something to be celebrated and enjoyed, grudgingly tolerated, or eliminated? From this follow the questions about having children. These are not about children themselves, or about personal lifestyle decisions. They are about whether humans, as a species, ought to voluntarily stop its continuation, because of insights that we've gleaned about ourselves.

To some people, this whole question is patently silly, because humans (just as other animals) will keep reproducing by evolved instinct. Others would say that we make conscious and rational decisions to reproduce, because in our estimation, the consequences of reproduction are on the whole positive. Still others take precisely the opposite view.

How are these not philosophical questions? How are they not important?
They are not offered as intelligent questions, but as irrational judgments by troubled people who make it plain that they wish for the end of our species based wholly on their worldview. It reminds me of terrorist thinking- I'm right, my way, my god, my interpretation should be adhered to. That sounds more like fascism or mental illness, not philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy