Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,304,965 times

Advertisements

One dictionary proffers this definition: "Philosophy is a theory or attitude held by a person or organization that acts as a guiding principle for behavior." If so it would include the basic framework of religion and politics. I just read something that is perhaps worthy of comment.

In theory the Constitution of the United States separates politics and religion, yet the Senate begins each dally session with prayer, and the politics of religion which shapes elections is heard from pulpit to pulpit across the nation. But probably the most questionable came in a letter from a Catholic Bishop who ordered the letter be read at all parishes. In part it said of the controversial contraceptive mandate , . . . supporters of pro-abortion rights politicians reject Jesus as their lord, as much as did the crowd that roared, "We have no king but Caesar.”

Is the Catholic Church a church of old men, or was the rejection of the anti-abortion movement by Catholic women a rejection of the barbaric back alley abortionist that was still common in the 1960s? Part of the problem, I think, is the people who make these statements do not have children, nor do they bear the expense of raising a large family on a limited income, let alone any idea of what a dozen diapers cost. From the time a man is accepted into the priesthood until the day he dies the Church pays all expenses, plus he receives a small salary for personal expenses.

I do not believe that not wanting to live in poverty for the sake of a large family is less moral or a turning away from the church's fundamental teachings. I think it is common sense. I think the church would be better served to reach out to all for a social solution and not target women. Church membership is dwindling due to antiquated thinking. We've come a long way since Christ was born and the goal was to populate the earth and promote a new thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
Philosophy is the pursuance of curiosity. When people wonder why things are as they are, philosophy is the process of moving toward that answer.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,401,908 times
Maybe it's a constant search for knowledge, in the knowledge of not knowing, in the moment that it - the search - ends, it was philosophy

Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,657,968 times
I wanted to raise an OP on 'What is Philosophy?' and was directed to this thread.

It is said that the number of definitions of 'philosophy' is almost the same as the number of people who attempt to define it.
It is true there are many definitions of 'what is philosophy.' I believe most are merely the form and do not reflect the substance/essence of 'what is philosophy'.

First draft definition,
Following from the last post,

Philosophy is the constant search for knowledge and wisdom using tools [empirical and reason] on the basis of continuous improvements to optimize the well-being of humanity.

Your definition [if any]?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,274,391 times
Trying to make sense of things that are obscure.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,460,735 times
Philosophy:
"Go ahead and laugh all you want
I got my philosophy
And I trust it like the ground
That's why my philosophy
Keeps me walking when I'm falling down"
Ben Folds 5

Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Wiki: Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind andlanguage.[1][2]

I am not sure what it is. I know what it is not. It does not answer the fundamental workings of the universe. But philosophy may be how we apply our knowledge. For example, evolution. Evolution itself is not a "philosophy" but how we use it may be philosophical.

It is also great for practicing writing and organizing thoughts using notions that are unclear to us or that go against one's world view. And no god knows I need that.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM

348 posts, read 832,496 times
The OP definition is for one sense of the word, such as saying "my philosophy" or "your philosophy" or "our company's business philosophy." It's a person's or thing's way of thinking or guiding beliefs. In a more general sense of the word, my dictionary defines it as the study of the nature of knowledge, reality, and existence. I like the meaning of the Greek word: the love of wisdom. The love of wisdom and its results, such as the pursuit of wisdom, are the fundamental way I understand the meaning of philosophy.

Of course, the truth is probably closer to the Bea Arther definition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgoB2JMEowc

Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,282,708 times
I've come to terms with this and basically it is what it says it is.

Lover of knowledge/wisdom. That means you question and think and examine the world through logic and science, and do it again.

The aim is Truth. You are the conduit of knowledge. It flows through you. Sometimes you take a position, sometimes you don't, sometimes you take the other side.

If you know anything about quantum physics; you are everything and nothing all at once.

In the academic sense, you study others who have done this. You read and dissect. These were mathematicians, scientists, theologians.

It is the ultimate basis of learning. It gives you the tools to think critically from all sides.

Yes science has made some of Philosophy's aims obsolete, but it is still required and needed to examine, the deeper whys and the Ethical without Religion.

I think there is no concrete definition because the world is constantly changing. As much as science has displaced some of Philosophy, it is also a symbiotic relationship and as such Philosophy adapts.

I also think that's why it is a difficult sell; because it is so amorphous.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:39 PM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Wiki: Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind andlanguage.[1][2]

I am not sure what it is. I know what it is not. It does not answer the fundamental workings of the universe. But philosophy may be how we apply our knowledge. For example, evolution. Evolution itself is not a "philosophy" but how we use it may be philosophical.

It is also great for practicing writing and organizing thoughts using notions that are unclear to us or that go against one's world view. And no god knows I need that.

Oh but it does. Matter of fact, only philosophy can fathom the entire fundamentals of the universe, known and more so - unknown. It also determined your post, as your post is determined by your philosophy of life, agree with this or not. With your fundamental perfectly general concept on existence, as THAT determines the rest of your thoughts, and your thoughts determine your actions, and so it goes. Darwin's concept of life, his philosophy of life, determined his thought of "evolution". We had this conversation in you know what thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy