Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You should, of course, ask the parents of this child to pay for the damage. And, of course, you could not invite her over (if your partner is ok with that). If you are going to have her around, you might want to make sure that expensive things that can be damaged are inaccessible.
I disagree for I was stupid enough to let her in my house knowing that something bad was going to happen. My partner really pushed me to give in because she is a family oriented person. I'm sorry I can't just move a half-ton pool table on a whim. When I did suggest that they pay for it. The dad just laughed and walked out. He's lucky I haven't seen him since. I would love to ban children entirely from my home but my partner won't go along with it. She just invites them over while I'm not there. This happened too long ago to try to get any kind of payment for it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Hear hear! My partner's little niece came over to our house and she tore the felt on my pool table. I was so angry. I had to spend $1700 replacing the felt the next week. It's OK because she said she was sorry.
Of course its "ok", it was an accident. Not like the child should be beaten for an accident right?

That being said a responsible parent takes responsibility for their child's actions and should pay to fix your pool table. Its no different than if an adult friend damaged something in your home.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
You should, of course, ask the parents of this child to pay for the damage. And, of course, you could not invite her over (if your partner is ok with that). If you are going to have her around, you might want to make sure that expensive things that can be damaged are inaccessible.
I disagree for I was stupid enough to let her in my house knowing that something bad was going to happen. My partner really pushed me to give in because she is a family oriented person. I'm sorry I can't just move a half-ton pool table on a whim. When I did suggest that they pay for it. The dad just laughed and walked out. He's lucky I haven't seen him since. I would love to ban children entirely from my home but my partner won't go along with it (she thinks it's wrong). She just invites them over while I'm not there. This happened too long ago to try to get any kind of payment for it anyway.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,607 times
Hard to believe there are 18 pages to this thread, telling the O/P what they already knew.

You don't want to have kids, that's your prerogative. We all make decisions for different reasons, you don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Sanity besides life appears much easier. I wouldn't suggest anyone have children until they have all their ends tied. Mid thirties should be the minimum age to reproduce.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
After these stories, am I out of bounds for not allowing children in my home at any time?
Not in the least. In your own home, you can choose exactly who can visit and when.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
You do not have to invite people with children into your home, of course. That's your choice. If you invite them, though, then you have to adjust your behavior to them. They are the guests in your home and as a host, you accommodate your guests. While pounding his truck on any table is not great, toddlers *will* pound things.

Now, if the child does break something expensive (or not), as a parent, I would expect to pay for it.

Do you remember what you were like as a toddler? Maybe you can ask your parents if you liked to pretend to hammer toys, etc.
Thank you. And I don't.
To digress:
Quote:"If you invite them, though, then you have to adjust your behavior to them." I see. So it is ok to put your feet up on coffee tables (this is not limited to children, as my SIL does it) , run as fast as you can around the swimming pool and hopefully not trip and break your skull on the patio, or torture the dog, or any other inappropriate behavior in someone else's household. A guest is expected to follow the rules of the household visited, and it is not open season to act in any manner chosen.

(As another aside, nice attempt at a diversionary tactic, however transparent, to ask about my childhood, as it is neither relevant here, nor is yours, to a thread titled 'Valid reasons for not wanting children').

Back to the regularly scheduled topic (though as another poster stated, this thread has long since run its course).

Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Thank you. And I don't.
To digress:
Quote:"If you invite them, though, then you have to adjust your behavior to them." I see. So it is ok to put your feet up on coffee tables (this is not limited to children, as my SIL does it) , run as fast as you can around the swimming pool and hopefully not trip and break your skull on the patio, or torture the dog, or any other inappropriate behavior in someone else's household. A guest is expected to follow the rules of the household visited, and it is not open season to act in any manner chosen.

(As another aside, nice attempt at a diversionary tactic, however transparent, to ask about my childhood, as it is neither relevant here, nor is yours, to a thread titled 'Valid reasons for not wanting children').

Back to the regularly scheduled topic (though as another poster stated, this thread has long since run its course).
I've always believed that a gracious host or hostess accommodates their guests. Now, if the guests are boorish, then you don't have to invite them back, but if you invite them, then you treat them as guests.

As for the asking about your childhood, I seriously wonder whether or not any of the people posting who are non-parents actually remember what they did as children. It's relevant because posting as if children were supposed to behave in all times and places is just closing your eyes to what children are like.

I already answered the original question, btw. If you don't want children, that is a sufficient reason for not having them. No one should have to justify that choice.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Your life, your choice. That would never have worked in my extended family because there was always someone with a small child, and with us, family togetherness comes first.
Got that beat too. I have no siblings and I'm not close to my extended family.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmanformumbaifem View Post
What are "valid" (even though validity is subjective) reasons for not wanting children?

I will admit that I detest children. Frankly, anybody under the mid-20s I seem to hold an innate dislike towards. I feel for this reason, I'm scared I may even abuse any children I ever have. So for this reason, I don't want any children.
Your reasons are certainly valid all by themselves if you detest children. I don't think people that decide they don't want children need to explain to others why they have made this decision. My sister chose to never have children because she is not that thrilled with kids, wanted her freedom to live her life and travel, and never was the motherly type. If someone feels that strongly that they do not want to have children, they certainly shouldn't. That's enough validity for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy