Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 AM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Wait it's a shelter in the same building as the Wawa??????????
Quote:
''Im surprised to hear that about Wawa since its so out in the Open and in a very busy area''

Armed robbery in broad daylight (12:00 pm) today at 20/Market.

The bus shelter at this intersection (southwest corner) was and could still be party central for various dudes; couple people shot there the past couple-few months as well.

See above (bus shelter?) response.

Last edited by MPK21; 11-29-2021 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-29-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I cant see how anyone can be robbed in that busy active at 12pm with those big 4 corners. Just hard to believe
You can believe or not believe whatever you want. I live in this area and know that, in fact, it's not busy the vast majority of the time and especially after dark every day and especially weekends. I avoid the 1900 block WaWa after dark, too many sketchy people hang-out around there.

Right now, on a Monday a.m. there is little auto or pedestrian traffic in this area.

Even pre-pandemic, a homeless man was stabbed to death in the apron area of Rittenhouse Square at 18/Walnut about a week before Thanksgiving 2019 on a very busy evening by a member of that sketchy group of open weed smoking folks that Kenney tried to ban from sitting on the park's historic concrete masonry and then quickly caved-in to the charges of racism; or when real estate developer Sean Schellenger was stabbed to death by Michael White on an extremely busy summer night in 2018 on 17th Street in Rittenhouse. So much for the ''safety in numbers'' thing...

Again, not sure why you're certain an armed robbery couldn't happen in the non-busy 2000 block of Market Street on a Sunday afternoon; again, you can believe it or not.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Wawa is in 1901 Market Street (former Philadelphia Stock Exchange Building), in the block just east of the bus shelter in question.

2040 Market is a former office building (once home to the Keystone Auto Club (AAA)) turned residential, and there's a Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection store on its street floor, which may account for the bus shelter becoming a party spot.
Yes, that's right the Wine & Good Spirits store is there and it's logical then that the party may then take place in the bus shelter at the corner...surprised no one has objected to a ''party bus shelter-stop'' taking place in such a prominent and busy area let alone shootings and gunfire there..lol...and at least one man was shot among a couple episodes of gunfire.

Last edited by MPK21; 11-29-2021 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-29-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What I find interesting (I guess that is the right word) are the contrasts. On one end, Philadelphia is an economic, residential, construction renaissance not seen in decades, and the on the other is persistent poverty and disturbing levels of crime.

As Sandy said in another thread "Bos-troit" is as real as ever. I am hopeful 2021 will be an anomaly for record violent crime, but sadly, I don't see any major changes to the status quo until after the 2023 mayoral election.

Luckily, Philadelphia has managed to mostly fly under the radar regarding its murder rate, but if this keeps up, the media will latch on to that story-line.
Philly's also flying under the media radar about its anti-Asian hate crime epidemic.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:25 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
You can believe or not believe whatever you want. I live in this area and know that, in fact, it's not busy the vast majority of the time and especially after dark every day and especially weekends. I avoid the 1900 block WaWa after dark, too many sketchy people hang-out around there.

Right now, on a Monday a.m. there is little auto or pedestrian traffic in this area.

Even pre-pandemic, a homeless man was stabbed to death in the apron area of Rittenhouse Square at 18/Walnut about a week before Thanksgiving 2019 on a very busy evening by a member of that sketchy group of open weed smoking folks that Kenney tried to ban from sitting on the park's historic concrete masonry and then quickly caved-in to the charges of racism; or when real estate developer Sean Schellenger was stabbed to death by Michael White on an extremely busy summer night in 2018 on 17th Street in Rittenhouse. So much for the ''safety in numbers'' thing...

Again, not sure why you're certain an armed robbery couldn't happen in the non-busy 2000 block of Market Street on a Sunday afternoon; again, you can believe it or not.
But why would there not be auto traffic in that 20th and market area during the day????

Old 11-29-2021, 11:12 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
But why would there not be auto traffic in that 20th and market area during the day????
I couldn't find anything for an armed robbery at 20th & Market. There was a robbery at the Wells Fargo bank near that corner, maybe that is what MK is referring to?

And yea, 20th & Market has a fair amount of auto and pedestrian traffic from 8am - 6pm. It calms down a lot after that.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:22 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
I couldn't find anything for an armed robbery at 20th & Market. There was a robbery at the Wells Fargo bank near that corner, maybe that is what MK is referring to?

And yea, 20th & Market has a fair amount of auto and pedestrian traffic from 8am - 6pm. It calms down a lot after that.
That's why I am confused how someone can be robbed while drivers are at the red light lol

Old 11-29-2021, 12:43 PM

Get the Citizens App for starters...can't post a screen shot of the incident here but would gladly do so...the WellsFargo bank robbery is completely separate

another report of a man armed with gun at 4:00 this a.m. at the 1900 block Market WaWa...

if you're looking at that philly crime map & stats, that doesn't even have the Temple student murder on it yet.

Last edited by MPK21; 11-29-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-29-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:

very few pedestrians....light traffic 8am-6pm M-F...kinda dead on weekends.

I'm a block away and, looking outside, I can see maybe one or two people...sporadically in the area...folks not back to work in the offices around here yet.

not sure why this is so hard to believe.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
That's why I am confused how someone can be robbed while drivers are at the red light lol
and even if there are cars at a red light, you assume they're watching the sidewalk and can see let alone will intervene in an armed robbery...right!

a woman can be raped on a Septa train in full view of passengers...males stabbed to death in then extremely busy high profile Rittenhouse Sq....but an armed robbery at 2040 Market could not and did not happen...wtf..lol...and recently someone was robbed at Barclay Prime in not as busy Rittenhouse.

Last edited by MPK21; 11-29-2021 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia