Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 04:50 AM

4,811 posts, read 3,337,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Also: did you read the article? It goes into some of the multiple reasons crime and violence have been on the rise and suggests that we need to rethink how we police communities rather than "defund the police". Whatever new approach we take may also require other forms of intervention than just police applying brute force. The stories I read about what happened in Camden after that city disbanded its police force and replaced it with a new county-run department whose top brass told the rank and file that community relations would be Job One, combined with the documentary film about former Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins' ride-alongs with Philly police officers, suggest to me that engaging the community rather than just sitting on the bad element pays dividends in reduced crime.
Our current police chief several years ago when on Portland's force did a "Ted Talk". She emphasized getting the police out of the cars and on foot patrol. Called it "Community Policing". How come she has not tried it here? I would imagine there could be a safety issue with the cops not wanting to do that, especially in crime ridden neighborhoods.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:53 AM

1,465 posts, read 630,666 times
Quote:
Also: did you read the article? It goes into some of the multiple reasons crime and violence have been on the rise and suggests that we need to rethink how we police communities rather than "defund the police". Whatever new approach we take may also require other forms of intervention than just police applying brute force. The stories I read about what happened in Camden after that city disbanded its police force and replaced it with a new county-run department whose top brass told the rank and file that community relations would be Job One, combined with the documentary film about former Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins' ride-alongs with Philly police officers, suggest to me that engaging the community rather than just sitting on the bad element pays dividends in reduced crime.
Stop blaming the police.

The single parent household and too many generations of males being raised by the ghetto thug street culture are the main reasons crime is out of control. It needs to be honestly addressed.
That and plea deals and lenient judges who keep letting the same trouble makers wildly run the streets. Start putting people in jail for property crimes and drug offenses.

Malcolm Jenkins is a racist scumbag, btw. I mean, we all have our negative thoughts about each other, but this guy is a true thug-loving scumbag.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:09 AM

7,020 posts, read 3,791,408 times
I hear Boston is nice place to live

Old 03-25-2021, 07:21 AM

7,020 posts, read 3,791,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Our current police chief several years ago when on Portland's force did a "Ted Talk". She emphasized getting the police out of the cars and on foot patrol. Called it "Community Policing". How come she has not tried it here? I would imagine there could be a safety issue with the cops not wanting to do that, especially in crime ridden neighborhoods.
Safety issue? The purpose of the cops is to make the community safe so if they are fearful of doing that then what good are they?

Old 03-25-2021, 08:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 994,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Trying anything would be a major improvement.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 994,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Stop blaming the police.

The single parent household and too many generations of males being raised by the ghetto thug street culture are the main reasons crime is out of control. It needs to be honestly addressed.
That and plea deals and lenient judges who keep letting the same trouble makers wildly run the streets. Start putting people in jail for property crimes and drug offenses. ....
The reason why the "ghetto thug culture" is enlisting so many cadets is because there are so few other opportunities. I would bet that a good percentage of the kids pulled into that life would pick another path if presented with one. Some are drawn to it no matter what. But a lot know that once in, they are in and that it's not gonna end pretty.

You don't take that choice lightly.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:21 PM

4,811 posts, read 3,337,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Safety issue? The purpose of the cops is to make the community safe so if they are fearful of doing that then what good are they?
For one, the city needs more cops. Years back (70's, 80's and 90's) there were far more on the force then current. Foot patrols would be great, officers becoming friendly with the merchants and residents, but you still need cops in cars to get around quickly. Unless the city comes up with the money to expand the force, I do not see that happening.
And then there is the problem of "physical shape" of some of these cops, or lack of. Up in Bensalem were I live for example the cops are mostly former military and very fit. When they respond to a call of any kind, it is never just 1 car, but 3 or more.
I sometimes ride up Thornton and Comly past the academy and the new recruits look pretty fit. They must stay that way.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:41 PM

1,465 posts, read 630,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The reason why the "ghetto thug culture" is enlisting so many cadets is because there are so few other opportunities. I would bet that a good percentage of the kids pulled into that life would pick another path if presented with one. Some are drawn to it no matter what. But a lot know that once in, they are in and that it's not gonna end pretty.

You don't take that choice lightly.
The manufacturing jobs that paid a livable wage in those areas have gone the way of the dodo bird.

The community is going have to preach education, skilled trades, civil service jobs, military career and above all else, work ethic. The opportunity is there, but it's just so much easier for too many to subscribe to the lazy, thug lifestyle.

Fathers and manufacturing jobs would help, but I don't see either coming to the rescue any time soon. It would also help if the females who aren't prepared to raise a child would keep their legs closed.

The same problems also affect the white and Hispanic communities. The Asians seem to be getting it right.

People need to make better choices and be held accountable.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:31 PM

14,398 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Stop blaming the police.

That and plea deals and lenient judges who keep letting the same trouble makers wildly run the streets. Start putting people in jail for property crimes and drug offenses.

Malcolm Jenkins is a racist scumbag, btw. I mean, we all have our negative thoughts about each other, but this guy is a true thug-loving scumbag.
Not the impression I got from his ride-alongs at all. You seem to be channeling John Nesby here.

And if there are cops who don't understand the value of working with the community, then they do deserve to be called out. They're guardians, not warriors.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:24 PM

463 posts, read 209,810 times
Quote:
Not the impression I got from his ride-alongs at all. You seem to be channeling John Nesby here.

And if there are cops who don't understand the value of working with the community, then they do deserve to be called out. They're guardians, not warriors.
I do agree they deserve to be called out. I think the challenge is figuring out how to be a guardian on a Battlefield. Some of these neighborhoods more resemble a battlefield than they do neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia