Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 05:29 PM

7,020 posts, read 3,791,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
I live in Chicago (i.e the beautiful northside) and visited your dear city last month.

Man, Philly felt rough, though.

Like so rough as in I-couldn't-wait-to-land-at-O'Hare rough.

But the city was so obviously once gorgeous. That's the tragedy of it all. I just sat in your airport kind of lamenting this iconic American city. Some of the neighborhoods I saw looked like a minor improvement over Haiti or Liberia, but barely.

Then I watched some of the videos you all posted and it's no different from the barbarity practiced by the gang bangers in our own southside neighborhoods.

The greatest American tragedy is the high volume of ruthless murder perpetrated on a daily basis in our beloved American cities.
And what you think chicago is?

Old 08-11-2021, 06:51 PM

305 posts, read 219,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
And what you think chicago is?
Chicago is bad in the black neighborhoods but virtually the entire northside of Chicago (Wrigley field, Lincoln Park Zoo) is beautiful and safe. I wasn't sensing there was as many safe urban areas in Philly as there is in Chicago.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:51 PM

7,020 posts, read 3,791,408 times
Quote:
Chicago is bad in the black neighborhoods but virtually the entire northside of Chicago (Wrigley field, Lincoln Park Zoo) is beautiful and safe. I wasn't sensing there was as many safe urban areas in Philly as there is in Chicago.
90% of the crime is in the hood

Old 08-11-2021, 08:56 PM

2,246 posts, read 1,153,845 times
Quote:
I live in Chicago (i.e the beautiful northside) and visited your dear city last month.

Man, Philly felt rough, though.

Like so rough as in I-couldn't-wait-to-land-at-O'Hare rough.

But the city was so obviously once gorgeous. That's the tragedy of it all. I just sat in your airport kind of lamenting this iconic American city. Some of the neighborhoods I saw looked like a minor improvement over Haiti or Liberia, but barely.

Then I watched some of the videos you all posted and it's no different from the barbarity practiced by the gang bangers in our own southside neighborhoods.

The greatest American tragedy is the high volume of ruthless murder perpetrated on a daily basis in our beloved American cities.

Why does this particular thread attract so many trolls? Philadelphia living rent-free in people's head.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:35 PM

1,171 posts, read 607,344 times
Quote:
I don't think there is any problem Philadelphia has that Chicago doesn't have. Chicago is one of the very few large cities, and large metros, that is still losing population. You didn't say where you visited so I don't know how you expect anyone to respectfully respond. I trust that the worst parts of Philly are no worse than the worst parts of Chicago. I am sure the dumpsters behind the hotels in Monaco look like **** too, context matters.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I don't think there is any problem Philadelphia has that Chicago doesn't have. Chicago is one of the very few large cities, and large metros, that is still losing population. You didn't say where you visited so I don't know how you expect anyone to respectfully respond. I trust that the worst parts of Philly are no worse than the worst parts of Chicago. I am sure the dumpsters behind the hotels in Monaco look like **** too, context matters.
I visited the birthplace of the United States, Independence Hall, which was a truly inspiring site. Then down to City Hall. One of the most magnificent buildings I have ever seen.

Then I went to the black parts and happened to drive past Kensington and Camden and couldn't believe what I saw.

Everyone in our car shouted the same thing:

"We gave it away! We threw it all away!"

Old 08-11-2021, 10:49 PM

Yeah, Kensington and Camden are awful. No one would argue otherwise. Awful enough to wonder why you, or anyone else, would decide to visit there. But my guess is you probably didn't feel exactly the same way there as you did in Independence Mall, yet your OP indicated you did. As for "the black parts" the economic disparity is no secret but if you want something interesting, visit Fishtown next time. Its gentrifying white hipsters and then a bunch of white meth addicts. I lived there 2010-2011, I felt uncomfortable and I was white back then. I think I had a shirt with collar on and that made me bougie.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Kensington and Camden are awful. No one would argue otherwise. Awful enough to wonder why you, or anyone else, would decide to visit there. But my guess is you probably didn't feel exactly the same way there as you did in Independence Mall, yet your OP indicated you did. As for "the black parts" the economic disparity is no secret but if you want something interesting, visit Fishtown next time. Its gentrifying white hipsters and then a bunch of white meth addicts. I lived there 2010-2011, I felt uncomfortable and I was white back then. I think I had a shirt with collar on and that made me bougie.
Fishtown? Then you should read up on your statistics and the concept of normal distribution. Do meth addicts and Phish lovers brutally murder one another en masse?

Didn't think so.

And why would I visit this message board? Because I was recently in Philadelphia, that's why.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:06 PM

What on earth is your point? You visited a touristy area and hood and got exactly what you would expect in any other town.

Also, who the heck suggested Kensington and Camden? Sounds to me like you googled the worst places in the area and you got what you got. This isn't a rhetorical question, why did you pick those places?

Old 08-11-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
What on earth is your point? You visited a touristy area and hood and got exactly what you would expect in any other town.

Also, who the heck suggested Kensington and Camden? Sounds to me like you googled the worst places in the area and you got what you got. This isn't a rhetorical question, why did you pick those places?
No one recommended those trash holes.

I toured the whole city, and much of it seemed forlorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia