Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 AM

1,699 posts, read 976,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
I think a more accurate characteristic of Trump is "shady hack real estate developer that always wants more and does not take no for an answer." He's just trying to run government the way he has run his bankrupt business developments. A CEO makes final decisions and fires everyone they don't think is properly aligned or competent.
I would agree if he was really running govenment. He spends his days pulling levers that only help him stay in power - whether that be crushing his political enimies or making allies out of historically dangerous enimies who benifit from the dictator status he craves.

I think we mistakenly give him credit for strategizing this. I don't think he has a strategy. He is a single-celled amoeba who is genetically programmed to exist like this. It is not a choice. It is a reflex.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:56 AM

463 posts, read 207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I would agree if he was really running govenment. He spends his days pulling levers that only help him stay in power - whether that be crushing his political enimies or making allies out of historically dangerous enimies who benifit from the dictator status he craves.
This is something the Democrats did a great job standardizing in all honesty. Using the media outlets to create villains and demand resignations has been real dangerous. In Trump's defense, he came into a pretty tough term with people vilifying him and others as well as contending the election for probably 3 of his 4 years. Trump has simply no tact or strategy in his "crushing of political enemies", whereas Democrats use the media.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:19 AM

1,699 posts, read 976,976 times
How, exactly, do democrats use the media. I'm so tired of the conservative "leftist media" drumbeat.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:22 AM

1,213 posts, read 958,490 times
Quote:
This is something the Democrats did a great job standardizing in all honesty. Using the media outlets to create villains and demand resignations has been real dangerous. In Trump's defense, he came into a pretty tough term with people vilifying him and others as well as contending the election for probably 3 of his 4 years. Trump has simply no tact or strategy in his "crushing of political enemies", whereas Democrats use the media.
I think it's more accurate to say Democrats effectively collaborate with the media and vice versa. Both organizations seem to have similar agendas, making it most beneficial to align on a united strategy. And, even as a Democrat myself, I must say it's gotten to be a bit much these last few years. Other than 60 Minutes and maybe PBS NewsHour, almost every other media outlet seems to publish very subjective pieces with misleading and vitriolic headlines and intros. In my opinion this goes beyond just politics, BTW, and is a serious danger to current day society where most people get their news and worldviews through bite-sized headline chunks.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:32 AM

463 posts, read 207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
How, exactly, do democrats use the media. I'm so tired of the conservative "leftist media" drumbeat.
Look at who the media is owned by. Do you think it's just dumb luck that Democrats are highlighted in a favorable view most of the time? Pennsport does a nice job of outlining the subjectivity and the misleading/vitriolic headlines. Fox News is the strongest Republican medium representative, but it was conflicted with Trump because he's really not a Republican (I think?); now the network is turning its back on Trump because he lost. However, far more back the left.

Truth is that the death of honest/objective reporting and the poisoning of our court system is the end of our Constitutional Republic. The rest is just your preference on which flavor of corruption and in-fighting you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I think it's more accurate to say Democrats effectively collaborate with the media and vice versa. Both organizations seem to have similar agendas, making it most beneficial to align on a united strategy. And, even as a Democrat myself, I must say it's gotten to be a bit much these last few years. Other than 60 Minutes and maybe PBS NewsHour, almost every other media outlet seems to publish very subjective pieces with misleading and vitriolic headlines and intros. In my opinion this goes beyond just politics, BTW, and is a serious danger to current day society where most people get their news and worldviews through bite-sized headline chunks.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:57 AM

14,234 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
I think a more accurate characteristic of Trump is "shady hack real estate developer that always wants more and does not take no for an answer." He's just trying to run government the way he has run his bankrupt business developments. A CEO makes final decisions and fires everyone they don't think is properly aligned or competent.
If Trump runs his real estate businesses the way he ran the government, no wonder they went bankrupt four times. Developers hype stuff all the time*, but he seems to operate in a hype-only mode that bears only passing relationship at the outside to reality. He spends money like water, and mainly on himself and his family, which is why his supporters are being hit up for donations to "carry on the fight against the steal" that will actually go mainly to retire his campaign debt. (There you go: profligate spending and bait-and-switch advertising in one move.) And he demands not just loyalty but also adherence to whatever fantasy he has convinced himself is real; it seems that there is no one in his inner circle who can tell the emperor that he's wearing no clothes.

Quote:
Look at who the media is owned by. Do you think it's just dumb luck that Democrats are highlighted in a favorable view most of the time? Pennsport does a nice job of outlining the subjectivity and the misleading/vitriolic headlines. Fox News is the strongest Republican medium representative, but it was conflicted with Trump because he's really not a Republican (I think?); now the network is turning its back on Trump because he lost. However, far more back the left.

Truth is that the death of honest/objective reporting and the poisoning of our court system is the end of our Constitutional Republic. The rest is just your preference on which flavor of corruption and in-fighting you prefer.
No, Trump really isn't a Republican, at least not in the manner that the party had defined itself prior to his taking it over. It had no populist flavor at all. It was committed to free trade among nations and against tariffs as a trade weapon. It (at least ostensibly) favored fiscal restraint and small government. But all that went out the window when someone who could deliver it victory on his own terms arrived on the scene.

As for media ownership: Fewer newspaper owners are overtly ideological in the way the great newspaper barons of the pre-television era were (e.g., Col. Cyrus McCormick of the Chicago Tribune (conservative); the liberal Bingham clan that owned the Louisville Courier-Journal; the Copleys, the conservative family that owned the San Diego Union-Tribune; and so on. Actually, the only newspaper owners I know who I'd class this way now are the Sulzberger family, which owns The New York Times, and Rupert Murdoch, who owns The Wall Street Journal and the New York Post in addition to Fox News Channel. (I'm not sure that Jeff Bezos' personal politics are the same as those of The Washington Post.) Most media companies are more concerned with their bottom lines than with the political slant of their content; consider the Gannett flagship, USA Today, whose editorial page is known for running an opposing point of view alongside its own lead editorial.

But Murdoch is a pragmatist more than he is an ideologue, and if he perceives his business interests might be harmed by a too-strident ideological bent, he will trim sails. And at both FNC and the WSJ, most of the news reporters play things down the middle while the editorial pages and prime-time opinionators (and the "Fox & Friends" morning crew) do the ideological cheerleading. (It was this split between the facts he was reporting and the opinions the spinners that followed him spewed that led Shepard Smith to quit abruptly on the air at the end of his late-afternoon news show about a year ago He now anchors a new nightly newscast on CNBC, which is not known for having an ideological slant the way its sister news channel MSNBC is.)

Most of the ideological decisions come more in the form of "deciding what's news" than in how the news is reported.

*I recently said on Facebook that the experience of these past four years should lead us to avoid putting any real estate developer in the most powerful office in the country in future. And I like developers — I write about their work all the time.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:12 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
When the head of the country and a political party consistently maligns anyone who isn't a straight White male - which would include the majority of this city - and gaslights his opposition - which would include the *overwhelming* majority of the city - it's difficult to be objective about him. Right-leaning media, particularly the news networks, have certainly been reluctant at best to criticize Trump.

With his bash of other Democrat-led, majority-minority cities, it seemed inevitable that Philadelphia's turn would come...and it did just before the election, only for irony/karma/schadenfreude to bite him hard.

Bringing this back to the thread: as I've often said here, the crime issue is the culmination of several decades of actions - not always the city's fault but often the *region's* - that disenfranchised most people of color. Many agree that the Democrats' long rule over the city has made them complacent. However, the more recent (lack) of response from Trump to Toomey to locals in Fishtown and South Philly won't help Republicans' cause as it's clear that they have low if any regard for the majority residents of color.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:44 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,559,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
MOD NOTE - The purpose of this thread is to corral crime posts to stay in one thread so as not to take over the Philadelphia page here on citi-data. Starting now, 5/26/19, I'm going to ask posters to post links when they cite crime activity to bring clarity to the thread. As per city-data TOS, no racist or rude remarks are allowed. Report comments that break the TOS, do not respond to off topic remarks - report them.

I live in the Overbrook section... 65st and Lebanon... On Lebanon Avenue and Im just saying, ...66st people getting shot all the time, school shootings, the assault rates are high because of the schools in the area (Worst schools: Beeber Middle School (Closing, but was on the worst crime schools list and its a MIDDLE SCHOOL!, Overbrook High School, Very bad high school, worst crime high schools, probably equal to Strawberry Mansion HighSchool/Middleschool crime) And my block is okay....................... The area is officially shady and I just wanted to warn people about Central Overbrook. Overbrook farms is okay at best, and Overbrook hills is still GREAT. Stay OUT of Central Overbrook at night and even tho Im 16, I can tell you, I went to Beeber Middle School and saw some things i didnt want to see.. Regular kids (8th grade) fighting with mentally retarded kids. Bullying the whole 8 miles. People going on seizures and still getting stomped out,Etc. Im just saying.. Philly isnt fixing anything in the bad areas, Such as the schools, the only thing they're doing is Getting the downtown all good and make it look good, the mayor/city officials dont care about north philly schools, west philly schools, south philly schools, northeast philly schools, southwest philly schools, Like theres no school cameras in the hallways, outside the school, etc... So crime goes undone, there was 1000!!!! FIGHTS in OVERBROOK HIGH SCHOOL..... AVERAGE A YEAR.... AND YOU KNOW ALREADY, that 99% of Fights dont get caught, Etc. IF WE HAD CAMERAS EVERYWHERE (Except bathroom, bathroom does have some fights) SCHOOLS WOULD BE BETTER IN PHILLY, AND IF THE COPS THAT WATCH THE SCHOOLS (REAL COPS) THE SCHOOLS WOULD BE REAL GOOD..................... IM PISSED OFF AT PHILADELPHIA, BECAUSE ITS A GOOD CITY, VERY ROUGH, BUT GOOD CITY IF THEY WOULD FIX THE SCHOOLS. ......

[url=http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20130411_Student__2_others_shot_near_Overbrook_Hig h.html[/url] - Thursday, April 11, 2013 -Link not working but it works if you go to it manually from the philly.com website, link is valid but doesnt work on this forum for some reason..
Back on topic please. The politics and other controversies page is where you can talk about politics.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,188,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And I am a democrat who is becoming fed-up with the party, however I could never vote with the GOP which is a whole different mess. So what is a moderate to do?...
Be a Libertarian, like me....

Old 11-19-2020, 08:45 PM

1,803 posts, read 939,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Get over it already. You will still make money off your rentals even if you pay a bit more in taxes for our National deficit .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia