Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 07:52 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,987 times

Advertisements

Like it or not, it seems like next week we're going there.

Sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 07:57 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, it may not be the same thing as a citywide mandate, but I just heard that Georgetown and Johns Hopkins universities have reinstated indoor mask mandates. Johns Hopkins is one of the nation's leading centers of biomedical research.
Yea, but that is different a citywide mandate in indoor settings (as you said), and it's ridiculous at this point. And I can't find any other major American city that is contemplating a return of the mask mandate.

The Mayor and Council can't say Philadelphia is open and push for people to return and reinstate a mask mandate, it's counterproductive at this point.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:01 AM

386 posts, read 267,183 times
Ugh, this would be a disaster for the city. People are already reluctant to come in because of the crime and then if they’re required to wear masks too, forget about it.

I have been fully supportive of these restrictions but now that we have vaccines and we now know the new variants aren’t that serious for the vast majority of people, I just don’t understand why we continue to have these restrictions.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:14 AM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Ugh, this would be a disaster for the city. People are already reluctant to come in because of the crime and then if they’re required to wear masks too, forget about it.

I have been fully supportive of these restrictions but now that we have vaccines and we now know the new variants aren’t that serious for the vast majority of people, I just don’t understand why we continue to have these restrictions.
Just +1'd you on this.

I think too many people are now wedded to the notion that COVID remains more dangerous and deadly than the flu. These new variants and sub-variants are IMO clearly not that, and therefore our response to them shouldn't be the same as though they were.

SARS-CoV-2 is behaving like any other coronavirus: as it becomes easier to catch, it also becomes less severe in its effects.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:28 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just +1'd you on this.

I think too many people are now wedded to the notion that COVID remains more dangerous and deadly than the flu. These new variants and sub-variants are IMO clearly not that, and therefore our response to them shouldn't be the same as though they were.

SARS-CoV-2 is behaving like any other coronavirus: as it becomes easier to catch, it also becomes less severe in its effects.
Agreed. And the city will only be further hurting its businesses in doing so. I’m consistently annoyed that we have to wear masks on SEPTA…still. When will these folks use their heads.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:05 PM

Some good tourism news (let's hope bogus health department mandates don't hinder this effort).

Visit Philadelphia's $2M spring marketing campaign targeting drive markets is largest spend since pre-pandemic

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...marketing.html

"Visit Philadelphia has launched a $2 million spring marketing campaign that emphasizes targeting travelers within the drive market in the largest advertising campaign from the destination marketing organization since the Covid-19 pandemic hit."

"The nonprofit is continuing its “Pack Light. Plan Big. For Philly.” messaging, tapping into industry trend research that indicates people are looking to take a big trip after more than two years of restricted travel, Chief Marketing Officer Neil Frauenglass told the Business Journal."

"The campaign will run locally in the five-country Greater Philadelphia region, plus Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, aiming to attract people who work in the the city during the week to come for a weekend getaway. It also will extend regionally to New York, Baltimore and Washington, D.C."

"The destination marketing organization has a $14.4 million operating budget until its fiscal year concludes in October. Its standard pre-pandemic operating budget was $16 million. The nonprofit is largely funded by Philadelphia’s hotel tax, and with reduced traffic at local properties due to the pandemic Visit Philadelphia has tapped into other funding sources, including a $1.5 million grant from the city."

"The organization is also doubling down on marketing efforts in Canada, the city’s “largest international feeder destination,” Frauenglass said. It has ramped up public relations outreach in Canada in recent months and is noticing an increase in Canadian visitors as a result."

"Ultimately, Visit Philadelphia projects year-end Center City hotel room demand to be “in striking distance” of 2019 numbers, down 4% from the pre-pandemic heyday."

"From October 2021 through February, more than 521,000 leisure hotel room nights were booked at Center City properties, per Visit Philadelphia. Another 240,000 are anticipated from April to June."

Old 04-07-2022, 02:53 PM

1,026 posts, read 448,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
How a redesign of Washington Avenue got detoured by a clash of competing needs

https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20220228.html

Interesting read. I must say, it's always so refreshing to read Claudia Sherrod's statements... (sarcasm).

Claudia Sherrod, a longtime Point Breeze resident and activist, said police district data suggest that Washington Avenue has fewer traffic crashes than road diet advocates imply. The city says at least four people died and six were seriously injured on the roadway between 2012 and 2018."

“One is too many, but they’re making it seem 10 times worse than it is,” said Sherrod, president of Point Breeze Community Network Plus."

"Sherrod also wants more regulation of cyclists, who she believes often “put themselves in harm’s way” by not stopping at intersections and swerving around people in crosswalks. “That doesn’t mean they should be hurt or killed,” she said, but urban cycling “causes more problems than it’s worth. We need to make sure bicyclists have a license or permit and insurance.”"
Been out of town and catching up on this...i do recall a pic of a group of black protesters, one of which had a sign stating ''White Supremacy Wins Again''. So did white supremacy win again?

Considering that highways, railroads, transit systems are all racist, it's logical then that the list needs to be updated by adding ''bike paths'' to the mix.

Wonder if Ms. Claudia realizes though that Philly is now a large mix of asians and hispanics, especially along Washington Avenue...seems like Ms. Claudia needs to add a couple things to her mix...i guess, for starteres, asian and hispanic supremacy.

Last edited by MPK21; 04-07-2022 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 03:49 PM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times
Mask mandate? Ughh, no thanks. I already don't do my grocery shopping in Philly, in 10-15 minutes in three directions I can be outside the city with plenty dining options...

I was nothing of a anti masker but this seems pointless to reinstate. If they are reinstating it now it probably means the mandate will go on and off indefinitely. That is a hard no for me.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:49 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Agreed. And the city will only be further hurting its businesses in doing so. I’m consistently annoyed that we have to wear masks on SEPTA…still. When will these folks use their heads.
And agreed on that.

I have no problem with the notion that we will have to get periodic booster shots. That makes this (ahem) just like the flu, where we go in each year to get a shot that will give us defenses against that year's dominant strain.

Gawd, I really am astonished at how so many people just don't see the emerging parallels here.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:28 AM

Some positive news. Philadelphia continues to post impressive VC numbers. There is more detail here... https://www.cbinsights.com/reports/C...t-Q1-2022.pdf?

"Quarterly funding is down across all major cities and tech hubs in the US, except for Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Dallas. Among them, Philadelphia and Atlanta based startups saw the largest jumps in funding at 71% and 30%, respectively."

Venture Capital Q1 2022

United States top 10

City Deals Total Value

1. Silicon Valley 734 $28.9B
2. NY 499 $11.7B
3. Los Angeles 256 $5.2B
4. Boston 218 $4.4B
5. Dallas 54 $2.26B
6. Austin 105 $1.8B
7. Seattle 100 $1.5B
8. Philly 80 $1.495B
9. Chicago 64 $1.36B
10. D.C 116 $1.13B
11. Miami 81 $1.05B ("capital of capital")
12. Denver 89 $894M
13. Atlanta 55 $686M
14. Raleigh 41 $247M

Canada

1. Toronto 71 $1.7B (USD)
2. Vancouver 26 $237M (USD)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia