Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 04:44 PM

938 posts, read 445,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

She said they surely didn't find Newark or Jersey City and those places were attractive at all, but they're noticing many of their family and friends have been considering Philly and really like it.
Yay! We're better than Newark and Jersey City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Yay! We're better than Newark and Jersey City!
.....Yep., We most certainly are. Although the point she was making and explaining to me was that 25 years ago when living and working in Manhattan was getting a bit too tight with people who were married with kids or planned to, so the next option ( which wasn't so cool at the time) was to move to one of the outer boroughs and commute to Manhattan for work, and maybe weekend enjoyment.

As more people chose this as an option next on the list was Long Island or the last choice of the four remaining boroughs.., Staten Island. So North Jersey became the new urban pioneering hot spot. Her and husband's take on that was when they went to visit people over there that it had become the hot new region for priced out New Yorkers, but it also later has become a bit more pricey for and crowed for such a small region. City life in JC, Patterson, or Newark isn't all it's cracked up to be and only a few " choice" neighborhoods to move to. Also the restaurant and arts and cultural scene was small and still required going back to the city on the weekends.

Now within recent years comes Philadelphia, with a reputation of being a lot bigger and much more exciting than anything within 200 miles of NYC, and has plenty of housing and neighborhood choices for a whole lot less. A city that many true New Yorkers can appreciate.

As I've been working pretty steady in and around the city, I've met lots of people from other places outside the region. St. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, Nashville, etc;.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Makes perfect sense, I welcome them.

I've come across quite a few people from Buffalo.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
As I've been working pretty steady in and around the city, I've met lots of people from other places outside the region. St. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, Nashville, etc;.
Guess I was just way ahead of the curve.

I found the part with the charts that broke down the migration patterns by borough the most interesting.

One of the things I took away from them is that when we say "New York is like no other American city," we're really talking about Manhattan - and Manhattan alone. Those Philadelphians who can afford to move to that borough do so, and relatively few Manhattanites make the reverse move.

But if you live in one of the other four boroughs, it appears that what you're living in is simply any large East Coast city on steroids. What the outer boroughs have to offer in terms of quality of life, amenities, cultural institutions, restaurants, and the like is not so much greater as to justify the larger amount you spend on housing that you can also find elsewhere for less. Even in Washington and maybe Boston. But Philly's much closer to NYC than those two, and if you move here, it's easier to head up the NEC or the NJTP for a Manhattan fix whenever you want one.

The best phrase I heard yet summarizing the comparison comes from a friend of a local rapper who recently wrote one of the funniest new children's books, "P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever." The friend, who moved here from (yup) Brooklyn, explained why thusly:

"It's like 80 percent of New York at 20 percent of the cost."

Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 AM

A lot of the New York transplants are Chinese settling in NE Philadelphia.

They're good at dealing with the hoodrats.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:28 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
A lot of the New York transplants are Chinese settling in NE Philadelphia.

They're good at dealing with the hoodrats.
I despise you and don't try to hide it. In your trashy wording though, you bring up a valid point.

So many of the articles focused on New Yorkers moving to Philadelphia focus on the upper-middle class (mostly white) people who moved to Philly to get more square footage for their kids in trendy neighborhoods. It wasn't until an article (in the NYT?) recently that highlighted so many immigrants who had lived in New York previously or had arrived first in New York were making their way down to Philadelphia for the exact same reason. Except they weren't buying $750K townhomes in NoLibs or Fishtown, but $150-200K rowhomes in South Philly or the Northeast.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Another Philly as New York's 6th borough story.....Well sort of.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/new-yo...-20190611.html
Quote:
We were in Madrid a few months back - best seafood we ever had!

Anyway, I don't like you and you don't like me , but yeah, I'd much rather have New Yorkers than these goobers we're getting from Bumblescrew ... At least the New Yorkers have personality. And money. Don't forget the money.
I don't think those numbers are causing any pricing or parking problems in Philadelphia. Its a few thousand people a year (before you factor in the losses). Philadelphia at one point held over 2M people, we are still far from that.

And I actually agree with Indiana, I welcome people from New York. I am sure a chunk are working class immigrants, but you also have upper middle class couples and families who want more for their money. Philadelphia desperately needs more of that, I welcome them.

If anything the super rich people moving into the city are from our very own suburbs.
Who do you think is buying those $2M+ condos popping up everywhere??

Old 06-12-2019, 06:55 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Also surprised no one posted this...

Dranoff goes all-in on condos for South Broad Street tower after hotel hybrid plan fizzles

47 stories and host 108 balconied condominiums that will range in price from $2 million to more than $10 million

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190611.html

If this rendering holds true, this will be a very attractive tower.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM

84 posts, read 51,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Dranoff goes all-in on condos for South Broad Street tower after hotel hybrid plan fizzles

47 stories and host 108 balconied condominiums that will range in price from $2 million to more than $10 million

One of our local Philly leftists took a look at this one though and noted that this tower is actually about as dense as a series of row homes.

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status...69161221783554

Personally not impressed with the tower myself. And I've made my thoughts clear before on the tax abatement in Philly being just a tax cut for the wealthy and upper middle class.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I have a hard time believing there is enough wealth here in the city to sell that many towers at that price point. Outside investors looking to stash their money? Maybe? Some rich Main Line empty nesters who'd rather live in the city? Maybe. I hope I'm wrong. That empty-holed lot is a huge eye sore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia