Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Changing the topic back to Toll Brothers again... Major height increase, this could finally be a cutting edge Toll tower in Philadelphia, I have/remain in full support of this project.

Toll now planning 29-story tower on Jewelers Row for more condo units
It's a half-baked crappy idea.

Jewelers Row has retailers, manufacturers, & wholesalers, as well as a gold refinery. Many of the apartments over the businesses have family members. It's a quiet area by design. There's a lot of money in a lot of those quiet little shops. Toll Brothers big fat brain fart is a perfect way to destroy that neighborhood, but you don't know or care. You & the Toll Brothers look at their scheme & see dollar signs in your pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Agreed.
What was the point of that UNESCO designation again? Can they revoke it if the city can't tell a developer to get lost?
A World Heritage City designation is not an "official" recognition of a place's significance the way the designation of a building or feature as a UNESCO World Heritage Site is.

The Organization of World Heritage Cities, an independent nongovernmental organization, designates cities as World Heritage Cities; the only prerequisite for obtaining that designation is that the city in question must have a UNESCO World Heritage Site within its borders. Ours is Independence Hall.

Charlottesville, Va., could gain admission to the club on the same grounds, being home to Thomas Jefferson's University of Virginia, another World Heritage Site.

I know of two inhabited cities that are themselves World Heritage Sites: Bath in England and Québec in Canada. (The OHWC is headquartered in the latter.) There may be more, and probably are. Taos Pueblo in New Mexico is also one, but it's uninhabited.

World Heritage City designation brings with it bragging rights and another tourism-promotion tool. The member cities may meet to discuss things like preserving their heritage, but designation is not based on things like the overall urban fabric or preservation ordinances or policies.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:48 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's a half-baked crappy idea.

Jewelers Row has retailers, manufacturers, & wholesalers, as well as a gold refinery. Many of the apartments over the businesses have family members. It's a quiet area by design. There's a lot of money in a lot of those quiet little shops. Toll Brothers big fat brain fart is a perfect way to destroy that neighborhood, but you don't know or care. You & the Toll Brothers look at their scheme & see dollar signs in your pockets.

I don't see dollar signs, I see progress and growth (I want to see renderings, then I will make up my mind). Philadelphia according to your standards, at least now I live in a city that shook its provincial attitude hundreds of years ago---> New York City.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
I don't see dollar signs, I see progress and growth (I want to see renderings, then I will make up my mind). Philadelphia according to your standards, at least now I live in a city that shook its provincial attitude hundreds of years ago---> New York City.
...and is losing its soul on a daily basis.

(I don't totally disagree with you by the way, but there needs to be a balance.)

Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Look at it this way. NYC also has a jewelers row. Having a jewelers row does not equal being provincial. Destroying jewelers row & causing the places that I listed to scatter means promoting plain vanilla cityscapes.

It's a lousy idea.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Look at it this way. NYC also has a jewelers row. Having a jewelers row does not equal being provincial. Destroying jewelers row & causing the places that I listed to scatter means promoting plain vanilla cityscapes.

It's a lousy idea.

Fair enough... Lets say Toll decided to building on a vacant lot or tear down an eyesore building in that area to build a tall tower, would you fully support the project then? Is the demo of Jewelers Row the only reason you are against this proposal?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
^^I've come to support the Toll development more now that I know the owners of the buildings, and other retailers/property owners on Jeweler's Row are fully for it. As long as they preserve the facades, set the tower back from the street, and build ground floor retail space and offer the space to the retailers first, I have become okay with this development.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Awesome photo showing Philadelphia skyline from 2005 vs. 2016

I spot 15 buildings in this photo that have been built since 2005. Those are:

Colket Translational Research Center by CHOP - 12 floors - 245 FT
Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Research by CHOP - 14 floors - 292 FT
Smilow Translational Research Center by Penn Medicine - 14 floors - 295 FT
Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine South Tower - 19 floors - 302 FT
FMC Tower @ Cira Centre South - 49 floors - 736 FT
2040 Market - 13 floors - 182 FT
2116 Chestnut - 34 floors - 379 FT
1919 Market - 29 floors - 367 FT
One Riverside - 22 floors - 260 FT
Comcast Technology Center - 60 floors - 1,121 FT
Comcast Center - 58 floors - 975 FT
10 Rittenhouse - 33 floors - 396 FT
Residences at the Ritz-Carlton - 44 floors - 518 FT
Roberts Center for Pediatric Research by CHOP - 23 floors - 375 FT
1706 Rittenhouse - 33 floors - 401 FT

2005:

2016:

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old 12-07-2016, 12:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
and a hidden evo

Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
and a hidden evo
And a hidden Murano
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia