Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times

Advertisements

hiknapster, no problem.

Thanks everybody for your kind comments.

It actually was a fun experience. Instead of just going to see some place, to have some sort of prior impression, try to prove or disprove that, plus try to put together some of the missing pieces that can't be gotten any other way.

I am still not sure of NAH's scorecard.

He is right on the crime, I doubt any serious crime problems, locals also said so.

He is definitely off on the weather. In a far more brutal pattern than he realizes.

Tough to decide what $50K will actually buy. I doubt anything as classy as he thinks. You don't need to be a genius to see some of the better houses and do a quick mental addition of what it is worth on the outside. Think the contractor and a few others are right, base value is ~$100K to get something you are not going to have to pour money into.

Difficult to put a finger on all that Realtor(dot)com he puts so much stock in. I know from experience there is a lot of bogus listings. Just search for Monroe County, OH ZIP codes, many of those don't exist on the ground. I just scanned thru what they are claiming for Oil City, no way there was anything near that amount.

You also get into things like what was the power system like, lots of houses on a stepdown transformer in some areas. Ancient from the pole wires, intake-service cables. Just by figuring the amp capacity of the service tells you a lot, can spot the horrible out of date houses a mile away. Questions about the cable system, how old. Is the comm / telephone fiber optic, all the wires appeared to be older systems.

Yup those local peeps in Oil City could be a surprise for him too. All small town peeps can be different. Too bad that one girl was so shy, she looked a bit and walked like one of my old girlfriends, wonder if her name was Nancy. Would have been nice to talk to her.

Then what is daily life like. Library is a biggy for me. Most states are fairly cramped compared to the Ohio system. Would have been interesting to found the library for Oil City and had a tour. Same with a few other places. You would need a week to really get it pretty well nailed down.

Yup the pup did eventually have lunch. She is only a mere 17 years old, 1990 model, that was a good year for getting a dog. She can go off her chow on longer trips, I have to do a bread / milk routine for a few days. Went well on this trip.

I am wondering how NAH is really going to take some of this news? Maybe he needs a couple of back up spots. I was thinking Bellaire and Zanesville, OH. Might just work, Ohio forum has one guy fixing to move from Columbus to Zanesville.

NAH's daddy's reaction is a surprise to me. What is with that? I thought he wanted him to fly the nest????

Going back up to Columbiana in a week or two, could stop in Bellaire on that trip. Going down to Columbus sometime in the future, could finally stop in Zanesville, used to live in Zanesville, want to see what happened to it. Who knows maybe his burning research may shift focus. Bellaire is just about all brick, a refactory lovers dream. Might be some nice buys. Fairly decent location, good access to bigger towns close. Yup that shopping mall with the WalMart not to far away.

Could do one on Woodsfield but want to wait until it is cleaned up after winter. Lots of neat lil places in some of the counties around here. Would like to go out and see Adams, Athens County, OH this summer. Wellsville, OH might be a real shocker for some peeps but might also be the super gem in the rough. The Busy Bee is having a St. Paddy party in a few days, shame I will miss it. If you never went Pub Crawling in either Wellsville or East Liverpool, you missed a special experience. They don't do it like that any more.

Might have those pix's of the Busy Bee on the drive, NAH might like such culture in his next home town.

Lots of stuff down along the river, some of the bridges are super if you can get the right shot for the pix. I am suppose to go out to west of Chicago this summer, got one planned down into WV, maybe go to NC / TN. Got a lot of stuff from this winter trip down into Lake Placid / Sebring, FL area. Not too much tourist stuff, lot of critters / animals. Got a fair amount of Columbiana, OH.

So one teaser question.

Where can you cross a bridge and come off the bridge on the same side you started? Must be a real bridge for cars, no word games. Maybe NAH will get into bridges. This is good country for bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
I would be interested in the crime of those Ohio cities. Hope its as low as Oil city. Know that Woodsfield is very, very safe but still wondering how it compares to Oil city. Does it have all the shopping and good house deals that Oil city has? What do people do for fun in Woodsfield? Why isnt Cosmic interested in moving from Woodsfield to Oil city? Im sure Woodsfield is a nice little town but looks like theres more to do in Oil city.

Looking forward to pics of other cities. If those cities are as good as Oil city, gonna have to visit those cities on the way to Oil city

Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
So one teaser question.

Where can you cross a bridge and come off the bridge on the same side you started? Must be a real bridge for cars, no word games. Maybe NAH will get into bridges. This is good country for bridges.
Sent my answer via PM... and yes, I've driven over it

Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Sent my answer via PM... and yes, I've driven over it
Yeah, the contest is over before it got going. PlaidMom won the booby prize.

The bridge is the Y bridge in Zanesville, OH. Only one of its kind in the USA. Heard it has been rebuilt, be nice to see it again. Does NAH have a Y bridge in his future???

No Y bridges in Oil City, there is an idea for them tho. Actually could be a lot bigger than the one in Zanesville.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I would be interested in the crime of those Ohio cities. Hope its as low as Oil city. Know that Woodsfield is very, very safe but still wondering how it compares to Oil city. Does it have all the shopping and good house deals that Oil city has? What do people do for fun in Woodsfield? Why isnt Cosmic interested in moving from Woodsfield to Oil city? Im sure Woodsfield is a nice little town but looks like theres more to do in Oil city.

Looking forward to pics of other cities. If those cities are as good as Oil city, gonna have to visit those cities on the way to Oil city
Don't know the general crime situation in either Ohio town but Bellaire is covered by the Wheeling WV newspapers, I don't see a lot of bad things happening there. Zanesville probably still has some good places.

What do people do for fun in Woodsfield?

Play with their computers, go on road trips, go to the library - play with their computers, play punt the dog bone, drink beer, watch TV, cut grass, go fishing, pay bills, go to Jackson's for ice cream, fix up houses, bingo, walk dogs, tell lies, punch a hole in your muffler to fit in with the crowd, take naps, brag about how much dirt your truck will haul, go to bag sales, try to steal the other guys riding mower, talk about what happened in the Wooden Shoe, watch the newspaper for sales, jack up trucks, try to figure out where to get free dirt, go to parades, go to the Chinese dinner and ask for lemon with their tea, cut more grass, go to the disco, ball games, talk about which weed killer is best, go bowling, more bingo, call the cops on the neighbors, watch the ugly girls go by, go out riding, order pizza, tell more lies, try to fix the neighbor's computer and then steal it.

PA is a very regulated state compared to Ohio. Plus I think I have done my last rehab job. Oil City is going to be start all over. Maybe I could build a new summer house there. Or I could just build in Monroe County.

When is the trip to Oil City scheduled???

Old 03-15-2007, 05:49 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
Youve mentioned the regulations several times before. Is that the deciding factor why you wanna stay in Ohio? Do you think Oil city is "worth it" if you can comply with the regulations just fine? Think maybe you could get a house that dont need much fixin' for $30k in Oil city because you want a smaller house, right? No point building a house unless you get the materials free

Gotta save up the $1500 I need for the trip and have a steady income in order to relocate. Trying different business ideas, one of them is im building a website about Oil city, should get lots of traffic and ill be offering my services on that website to earn money.

Whew im off to take cold shower, its 82 degrees in my bedroom and im sweating up a storm and I dont smell swell

Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,189 times
Oh no, it's too late... Oil City's gone Flooreeduh!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/OC.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Celebrating in the area

Ok there was one other thing I did not see in Oil City. A good place for the Girls Night out. Nothing like the Busy Bee as they have in Ohio.

They even are going to have a St. Paddy bash. One thing about those old river towns they have had some of the same dives for decades, I don't know how old the Busy Bee is but it has been around forever. Find them all up and down the river. Same names on the joints, your grandfather could have celebrated there. Those river rats like their traditions and their whiskey straight. Oil City doesn't seem to be a river town.

I just hope Oil City is not in a dry county.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

Once again, my dog has just come up to me to see what I am laughing about-that is hillarious!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

Those in the pickup truck look like some of the hilligans from the Lake Placid area that drive around at night and try to smash beer bottles in your driveway.

Them Florida boys could ruin Oil City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania