Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,742,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
Nice pics you were one street up from where I was,I was on west seventh,if you went down that road it winds towards cranberry that is where the walmart and cranberry mall is.It took me 5 minutes to get there.So technically it is not in oil city but cranberry,along that area is also tacobell,subway..ect.

The cranberry mall website http://www.cranberrymall.com/

I see they are getting a new and improved cinema opening in the spring.

Also the oil creek state park does have hiking and biking trails,that would have been past the Hoss's steak house if you were in that area.
Yup, the contractor type guy told me about cranberry something or other. I didn't want to get very far out of town, so didn't follow that road very far up, it looked like it was heading for the boonies. I knew there was fast food places just over the bridge on the other side. Got up to the church and turned around. There are a few roads going out in a number of directions and yup a fellow should explore the surrounding country for say a 50 mile radius. But that does mean you have to have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:06 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,294,552 times
My sister did tell me they also just recently put in a home depot,and there are 2 grocery stores,the other is just around the bend from the giant eagle and near perkins.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Also someone mentioned it looked dreary,it is winter and it does look like this especially towards the end of winter,this does happen up north in pa,ohio,ny,minnesota..and the dirty snow doesn't help,but when mother nature wakes everything up it is a whole different ball of wax,lush and green everywhere.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,742,845 times
Default Back to more pix's

This house behind the stop sign in grey is very interesting some better pix's of it coming later. Very, very well done. Difficult to tell if some of it is original. Almost looks like a redesign / rebuild. Peeps have some money in some of those houses, I doubt they are selling cheap, but everything is relative.

Might be a bit like many places in SE Ohio, the better houses never sell. They stay in the same family for generations. There appears to be a disparity between what NAH is claiming what you see in terms of For Sale signs. Do you see a lot of For Sale in these pix's???

Nice house but just horrible access

Look at the roof details on those two across the street. Some super designs with widow walks, balcony, etc. Especially the pink one, you do wonder about what that does to the heat bill?

There are houses that look like somebody bought an old junker next door and torn it down to build a garage. Some of those are like 3 car jobs.

Just a shot to give a feel for the streets. Hill are steeper than it appears.

Last edited by Cosmic; 03-14-2007 at 09:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,093,448 times
I showed my dad those pictures and he wasnt overly impressed. I thought dad was crazy not to love Oil city. Maybe being in Toronto for years made dad tired of snow. But im looking forward to snow, its a change for me!
Dad also wasnt impressed by most of the houses. Wow either he is picky or he cant see past Florida

Ill be dreaming about Oil city everyday, its the best affordable location. Ive thanked you in the other thread and will thank you for the pics in this thread. Dont know if dad wants to come with me to visit Oil city, oh well ill go alone if neccessary, will cut the costs in half anyway. Gonna need someone from Oil city to give me a tour, will pay him for the gas and time. Would love to meet you Cosmic, give me a tour of Woodsfield(is it like Oil city? what makes you live there instead of Oil city?)

Oh did any houses have more than 3 stories? Did you see any mansions?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,560,124 times
After hearing and reading so much about Oil City in this forum over the past few months, it's really wonderful to see what it actually looks like! Thank you, Cosmic.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,709,963 times
Nice pictures, Cosmic!

Definetly not my tastes (yes, I love my McMansions and sprawling suburbs) but I suppose some like it. It would've been nicer if the sun was out, everything seems so dreary...

Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 PM

ok..lol did you get a shot of the oil city sign on the top of the hill,the one where it replicates the hollywood sign

Funny thing is last I seen the O toppled back and it said il city,that bugged me hope it's finally fixed.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,395,221 times
I live in OC in CA, which I can now confirm is virtually the opposite of OC in PA. Houses look alike in OC-CA, not OC-PA. They have tree lined winding streets and a frozen river, we have cookie cutter gated tracts surrounded by dry barren hillsides. Nice photo tour Cosmic, I enjoyed the pics, and narrated tour too! Reminded me of a town I lived in for quite a few years in Morris County, NJ that like OC-PA was once a thriving industrial era town. Looks like a lot of history behind that place, didn't realize till reading some websites that OC-PA was once a corporate HQ of the big early oil co's in PA like Quaker State and others. I'll bet OC-PA was considered as a rich town at it's zenith a century ago or so.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'll bet OC-PA was considered as a rich town at it's zenith a century ago or so.
Yep that's what we were always told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania