Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:13 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Oil City, PA is probubly thankful, it has been put on the map now because its one the the most posted about cities it seems on the website.

How do you think they feel about all this pubilicity they are getting, do you think they are aware of it?

Its amazing how a small town in NE PA despite its topgraphy has gotten such amazing amounts of attention the last few months.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Who knows maybe they will give NAH a house just for making them famous. Stranger things have happened.

I think Oil City would take being put on the map anyway they can get it.

I bet if somebody should tell them about his fascination, they would bring him up and give a tour. Might even get on TV, be a World famous fellow. Who is going to tell them? The boy needs all the help he can get.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Bet the local newspapers would love the story

Bet the local Oil City newspapers would love such a story. A guy who just has to get into town.

Bonus here is NAH might get a lot of the support type systems / advice that he is surely going to need. Maybe even get a good car free or at least for a good price. A town like that will love the idea of people wanting to move there for the features it has to offer. Put out the red carpet. About like love when both are poor.

Too many people try hard to get out of smaller town America, be a big switch to have them fighting to get in.

I also suspect Oil City / NAH might be a good fit. Partly for a reason I ain't saying. Think he will feel at home in that part of the country. After all where can a town get a walking Chamber of Commerce for free. Maybe he could do some Web design work for them. I sure would not pass up the idea.

I remember CNN did a clip on a small town for an old Postmaster I knew. His son was my lab partner in High School. For a while he was the oldest most senior postmaster in the country. Lil dinky town but those type stories have great appeal across the country. Sure got a lot of local press in the tri-state region.

Somehow we got to get this to the local newspaper. It will work. One of the two jobs I got fired in my life was working for a newspaper in Zanesville, Ohio. Yup, no small town editor could pass on this story. Ok, I wrote O-bits but the ink still is in my veins.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I honestly think this would make a great tv series "In Search of Affordable America" (ok...I borrowed that name from another poster). It probably couldn't make in on one of the big four (NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX) but I could see such a program on the Travel Channel (one of my favorite channels by the way). And I'm sure it'd have a fair share of viewers who are fed up with the outrageous prices in many desirable US cities.

Heck maybe NAH will become a millionaire in the process! Then he could live wherever he wanted!

I actually don't think it's such a bad idea to pitch a show like this to the Travel Channel... Maybe I could even become his manager $$ .

Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
If he would do the Oil city cam during his trip, I think it could be pitched to Letterman. Maybe even to a producer who could use it as a pilot for that channel that shows the home improvement / flip this house type of shows- I can't remember the network.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Personally I would love to see him on a cross country house-hunting trip. Perhaps some depressed towns would like to host him for the publicity. If he becomes a millionaire I wonder where he would live then....As for me no matter how much money I have I would never live near any "rich" area.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I honestly think this would make a great tv series "In Search of Affordable America" (ok...I borrowed that name from another poster). It probably couldn't make in on one of the big four (NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX) but I could see such a program on the Travel Channel (one of my favorite channels by the way). And I'm sure it'd have a fair share of viewers who are fed up with the outrageous prices in many desirable US cities.

Heck maybe NAH will become a millionaire in the process! Then he could live wherever he wanted!

I actually don't think it's such a bad idea to pitch a show like this to the Travel Channel... Maybe I could even become his manager $$ .
Yup, lots of angles for this one. Probably a fair amount of money to be made.

Number of folks have done this in the media. Go out to the boonies and find a story. Mother Earth News did it way back before the Internet, pitched as "Back to the Land", found the most receptive places to homestead like a pioneer. There is a bit of "Formula" but some of it can be "Real".

You really need a Charles Kuralt with the "On the Road" theme and that RV chugging over the hills and that air of understanding he tried to project.

I also watch and like the travel channel but this needs a different spin, a bit more homely and flintly. America will reinvent itself at some point but not as envisioned by many. The Lima's and Wellsville's, Ohio or Oil City's or some place wherever. At some point you will have a Revolution in the country with the drivers as per of all Revolutions, the mystery being the depth it may go. Only two true Revolutions, you must know when to stop, true Revolutions destroy themselves. I do fear they will not know where to stop for reasons totally ignored or misunderstood.

Outer boundaries and testing limits to be replaced with issues within boundaries. As per a TV docky-travel that tried to "Run Away" to Tristan da Cunha a few years back on PBS. Very good take if you haven't seen that program. I actually thought about going to Tristan when bailing out Boston. Sadly you come to realize Tristan has all the problems inherent in Islands. One of my big no - no's. Tristan has not faired all that well after. The modern World can find all nooks and crannies.

Please understand something here. Nothing I have ever said is to make fun or dis Oil City. In fact I think it in the "Zone" that will someday become super desirable based on some of the same thinking by Mother Earth News years ago. The tri-state area is one of the most grounded areas in the USA that understands why and what it is. Social power and roots is maybe the key to the future.

You get into some of the Harry Browne type thinking but one question to consider; "If the World went to Hell tomorrow, where would you want to be"? Most of the trendy places are not that desirable if it should all go brown. The real future problems are political / social it can go off the rails big time.

A lot depends on your perch to view the World. As of today I like mine.

Just for the record, I do not want to manage NAH. Simple royalty(s) will do.

Yup, played right NAH has a bright future in Oil City, no doubt.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Personally I would love to see him on a cross country house-hunting trip. Perhaps some depressed towns would like to host him for the publicity. If he becomes a millionaire I wonder where he would live then....As for me no matter how much money I have I would never live near any "rich" area.
Nope ain't going to work. He don't know pressed board from a chunk of plywood.

Bob Villa will get back into the game and eat his lunch in no time. That boy's future is in promoting PA. He can't get a diluted message. Dance with the one that brung you.

Keep it simple and run for President in 8 years.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
The spotlight provided by Need_Affordable_Home is probably the best thing that's happened to Oil City, Pennsylvania in decades.

Speaking of spotlights, a blue one just appeared over there by the piano! And there's our guy now at the mic!

Looks as if he's preparing to sing...

[LEFT]OIL CITY, P A[/LEFT]

[LEFT](Sung to the tune of "New York, New York") [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Start spreadin’ the news
I'm leaving today
I want to see affordable… Oil City, P A!
Trade flip flops for shoes
I’m longing to stray
And make a brand new start of it
Oil City, P – A!
I want to slip into a city once built on oil
And buy a little cheap house, not struggle and toil![/LEFT]

[LEFT]High power bill blues
I’m melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
Oil City, P A!
If I can’t make it there
It’s cool, so I won’t care
Don’t let me broil, Oil… City… Peee Aaaay![/LEFT]

[LEFT]I want to boot up in a city that seems asleep
That house may cling to a hill, but I’m King of the Cheap!
Those West Palm Beach blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
Oil City, P A!
No one can fake things there
(Like civic pride and care)
I plan to spoil Oil… City… Peeee Aaaaaaaay![/LEFT]

Dedicated affectionately to N_A_H

Last edited by Figment 07; 03-03-2007 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Figment, that is wonderful! Either you're really good or, like the rest of us, you need a life outside this forum. **applauding**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania