Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Breast feeding, my doctor told me my child would not get sick as often. Is this true for you?
I breast feed. 59 60.82%
My child is rarely sick. 53 54.64%
My child gets sick often. 2 2.06%
I bottle fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 16 16.49%
My child gets sick often. 3 3.09%
I bottle and breast fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 15 15.46%
My child is often sick. 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 PM

743 posts, read 2,236,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Believe it or not I am an OB/GYN nurse and a lactation consultant...I know I didn't breast feed...but it is better...LOL

I will be a Nurse Practitioner OB/GYN next year after I finish my last two courses...I'm not sure if I will go on to midwife or not...the malpractice is crazy high. But we will see.
I used a lactation consultant for my THIRD child. Who would have thought after nursing two other kids for a combined total of three and a half years, I would need help.......but, thank God for lactation consultants! I wrote that $120 check (which insurance didn't cover) and felt it was worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,827,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I used a lactation consultant for my THIRD child. Who would have thought after nursing two other kids for a combined total of three and a half years, I would need help.......but, thank God for lactation consultants! I wrote that $120 check (which insurance didn't cover) and felt it was worth every penny.
Each child is different as is each mom. Sometimes you just need someone else's point of view or encouragement to get through. That's all we really do is educate, encourage and try to come up with a method that works for each case. But like you said if you need help it's worth it.

Oh and I didn't see a birth control thread here...was it this forum?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Don't sell yourself short on lc "just" educating. Some of my friends have been at their wits end (w/ bleeding nipples) starring at the formula can on the shelf they brought home from the hospital....then the lc arrives and helps w/ low supply, positioning, latch-on, etc....there is so much more than just support, imo.

For my youngest, it was a latch-on problem because where she could only nurse from one side successfully. They put me in positions I couldn't think I could get into to nurse . So, for me it was more than encouragement (I was already way committed), it was more technique. And the fact that they told me to come there for weigh-ins for her 2x a day if I wanted because the doc was concerned about her losing some weight.....anyway, it's somewhat of a blur now

Even though I hands-down support bf....I make it a point to try to foucs on all the many benefits (since bf really is better for mom and baby)....but, I've come along way from my "breast feeding nazi" days as my sister jokingly points out...let's just say I've been humbled alot over the past 11 years of child bearing and child rearing

I know I live in a glass house......

Btw, the birth control thread was on the religion forum

Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Don't sell yourself short on lc "just" educating. Some of my friends have been at their wits end (w/ bleeding nipples) starring at the formula can on the shelf they brought home from the hospital....then the lc arrives and helps w/ low supply, positioning, latch-on, etc....there is so much more than just support, imo.

For my youngest, it was a latch-on problem because where she could only nurse from one side successfully. They put me in positions I couldn't think I could get into to nurse . So, for me it was more than encouragement (I was already way committed), it was more technique. And the fact that they told me to come there for weigh-ins for her 2x a day if I wanted because the doc was concerned about her losing some weight.....anyway, it's somewhat of a blur now

Even though I hands-down support bf....I make it a point to try to foucs on all the many benefits (since bf really is better for mom and baby)....but, I've come along way from my "breast feeding nazi" days as my sister jokingly points out...let's just say I've been humbled alot over the past 11 years of child bearing and child rearing

I know I live in a glass house......

Btw, the birth control thread was on the religion forum
Oh I'm not selling myself short, that was the "method" part...believe me some women are so thankful for the help. Sometimes it's really easy to get them going, sometimes is really hard, but in the end if it's successful it's good. Since I did bottle feed I have never been a breast feeding nazi. I was actually amazed how many people would stop me in the formula aisle at the store and ask me if I was breast feeding or not. I would always answer, "Well of course I'm not, I'm here shopping!"...LOL I just didn't know what to say...so that usually stopped them. But how personal to get in someone's face at the supermarket? Again I obviously advocate breast feeding, but it's not a requirement for good parenting or happy healthy babies...there are many other more important things.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,386,485 times
Breast feeding can be such a heated topic! I had one lady practically follow me through the store scolding me for buying a can of formula. She finally left me alone when I explained I couldn't breastfeed because of the heavy duty meds I was on due to complications. I wasn't very nice about it, I was still reeling from finding out I can't have more kids due to those complications and not in the mood for her. But maybe that will make her stop and think twice about confronting some person in the grocery store again.

Both my kids were bottle fed and have had their share of sniffles, etc. Once they started pre-school, they would pick up the sniffles here and there and once in awhile the flu. My daughter does get sick more then my son. My son is one of those kids that you can't keep in bed when they are sick. He lives for playing in the dirt and its 'just not nice' (his words) to lay in bed on a nice day. LOL

Old 06-02-2007, 12:10 AM

I'm so sorry both Irishmom and IntheSierras had such bad expriences. Just for the record, I have never, ever confronted anyone at all....my sister called me the bf nazi because she saw on my well-baby check up scheduling book that the pediatrician gives you to keep track of apts and vaccinations, weight, height, etc...that I had crossed out w/ black magic marker everywhere Similac was advertized (basically, all over, since they're the ones who printed the books) and wrote "Breast milk only".....it was one month after I gave birth to my first child....I was sleep-deprived, hormonal, etc....what can I say?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry both Irishmom and IntheSierras had such bad expriences. Just for the record, I have never, ever confronted anyone at all....my sister called me the bf nazi because she saw on my well-baby check up scheduling book that the pediatrician gives you to keep track of apts and vaccinations, weight, height, etc...that I had crossed out w/ black magic marker everywhere Similac was advertized (basically, all over, since they're the ones who printed the books) and wrote "Breast milk only".....it was one month after I gave birth to my first child....I was sleep-deprived, hormonal, etc....what can I say?
LMAO!! I can just picture you up in the middle of the night looking for a sharpie...LOL I have to say I'm soooo glad those sleepness days are over...now I'm just battling the hormone insomnia of perimenopause...41 and counting.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,906,566 times
ÃŽ sometimes wonder if exclusively breastfed children are less likely to be sick because they are less likely to be put in daycare and therefore, just not exposed to as many different diseases period as their formula fed counterparts? My kid was formula fed for a year and never sick either until we put her into day care at 13 months.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,936,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
ÃŽ sometimes wonder if exclusively breastfed children are less likely to be sick because they are less likely to be put in daycare and therefore, just not exposed to as many different diseases period as their formula fed counterparts? My kid was formula fed for a year and never sick either until we put her into day care at 13 months.
I think that may relate to other aspects of BF benefits, like increased attachment and whatnot. And certainly kids in daycare are more likely to get sick than kids who are not. But when they do these studies, they take those factors into account, and formula feeding and daycare are independent predictors for increased illness, regardless of your individual experiences with it.

My child is 12 months old and has never had formula. She's been in daycare since I went back to work at 3 months. So it's not like going back to work requires formula. There are 3 BF babies in my daughter's class at daycare and we all handle it different ways. My daughter never would take a bottle. She eats solids at daycare, and I come to nurse her during my lunch break. One girl takes bottles and now won't take the breast anymore (opposite of my problem!) and her mom now exclusively pumps for her. The boy is great at taking bottles of pumped milk while at daycare and BF when at home. All 3 of us go to La Leche League evening meetings for working moms, and there are lots of working moms who are devoted to BF and whose children go to daycare.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,936,588 times
Quote:
Now after the child is weaned the is no evidence of the health protection lasting beyond that time.
Do you discount the studies which show formula fed babies have greater incidence of chronic illnesses including some cancers as adults (as I described above)?

Quote:
However there is evidence that if the mother was careful with her diet while breast feeding that breast fed babies have fewer allergies to food. They are studying the effects of other allergens but I haven't seen anything concrete yet, but I don't doubt it will be in favor of breast feeding.
I think that with respect to allergies, that moms of BF babies may be more likely to delay introduction of solid foods and that may contribute to a decrease in food allergies among these babies. I am often shocked at how early some people are starting solids these days despite all the recommendations for waiting until 6 months.

Quote:
Breastfeeding does not create a stronger bond than bottle feeding, assuming the bottle feeding parent is interacting with the child while feeding them.
Yes, if the baby is actually being held during their feedings. Yet bottle feeding babies are much more likely to be taught to hold their own bottle and self-feed at a pretty early age. They are also fed by anyone who is available, so don't spend as much time bonding with mom. Also, nursing babies will often comfort nurse and spend even more time being held and nursed when they are not actually eating. In addition, sleeping close to the baby is common with breastfeeding moms due to the ease of nursing during sleep without having to fully wake either mom or baby, and that also contributes to the increased attachment. So yes, while it is possible, and some bottle feeding parents do make the specific effort, I do not think it is common for this to happen.

Quote:
I bottle fed, not because I didn't want to breastfeed but because both times I had babies I went into severe heart failure and the meds I needed to be on to live were transferred through breast milk and dangerous for the babies...but unless you truly can not breast feed I do not recommend bottle feeding of infants to my patients. I do however tell them not to stress it if they can't breast feed I don't think any mom should judge another mom unless they can walk in her shoes.
It's exactly statements like these from health professionals though that are what I am talking about. A statement like this makes it sound like you are saying, "yah, breastfeeding is great, but it's no big deal if you don't do it". I think that's really the wrong message to send to patients. It's what my doctor said too - she said "Breastfeeding is best and I will support you if that is your choice. But if you use formula, just know that a whole generation grew up on formula and we seem to be doing okay too." That is pretty much saying, without actually saying it, that formula feeding is as good as, or nearly as good as, breastfeeding. And I really hate to hear that message from a healthcare professional, especially one who deals with pregnant moms or babies!
Quote:
Just more proof that parenting and genes are as important as the way you feed them.
Here is another such comment. Antibodies are not passed through the air via good parenting skills. It's just not true. They are passed through breast milk. Period. You're not breastfeeding? Well, your kid isn't getting them, no matter how good of a parent you are.

Quote:
Yup this is correct...they not only give the samples to give to new mothers for free but they also supply the hospital with all the formula they need for any babies there so the moms will use it when they get home....BTW...so do diaper companies, pacifier companies and baby care product companies...hospitals don't pay for any of that stuff.
But what brand of diapers or other baby care items you use does not have a health impact on your baby, whereas whether or not you use formula does! Big difference! Giving out free formula to new mothers is just sending the message that it's endorsed by the doctor, which sends the message that breastfeeding really isn't that important. Giving out free diapers or other items does not send any kind of parallel message. I do not think that doctors should be giving out free formula at all. Are you going to send your diabetic patients home with free candy bars too if Nestle provides them along with the formula?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting