Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 6,365 times

Advertisements

What's the big deal? Of course no one wants to have some guys looking at their breast and getting excited over someone just feeding their baby. I don't think showing breasts is really the issue. Most of the time people make a big deal about it when everything is covered up and there is nothing to see. I don't see many women showing thier boob off when they breast feed. If you see something good for you and get over it already.

I just think it's silly. When I go to a fashion show, I often see breasts. It's really not that big a deal. How often do you even see women breast feeding their baby's? Not that often I'm sure. So, when you do, don't roll your eyes or make a fuss just ask yourself......

Would you rather listen to a screaming baby?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,812 times
I've breastfed my baby in public plenty of times. I always covered up(usually a blanket), or I would go to the car and park in an area where there weren't many people or many cars around me. Most of the time people were understanding of it. I never had anyone say anything nasty to me about it. I did feel awkward in some situations. For instance a couple of weeks ago I went to Chicago with my son. I went by plane. My "so" was already there for a business trip that week, so I was meeting him. I sat by two older men, and I have to say that I felt awkward breastfeeding next to them. That being said they were understanding. Truthfully I didn't have a choice. My son has become a screamer, if he doesn't get to eat he becomes very difficult to handle. Even if I wanted to care what others thought about breastfeeding in public I don't, because honestly my son throwing a fit and/or driving me crazy crying snatching at my breasts is more of nuisance(I think)IMO than nursing.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
I think making it visible is gross. I just got back from Europe. The locals are discrete, and do it by covering up. On the other hand, the gypsies on the loose let it all hang out. They don't have that much cooth anyway, so what can you expect? It's a natural bodily process, but covering up is the respectable thing to do.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Not really. I find most women to be modest and over up. Usually it just looks like she is holding the baby. I did have one gross experience seeing a woman breast feed. I worked for a large retailer and a woman was walking down the aisle with her shirt complete off except around her neck. Looked like a cape. She was bare chested, one breast flopping in the wind and the other was feeding her child. She held the baby like a football. She glared at everyone with a challenging look. I didnt bite (no pun intended). I figure she must be a lunatic looking to start a lawsuit.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Not really. I find most women to be modest and over up. Usually it just looks like she is holding the baby. I did have one gross experience seeing a woman breast feed. I worked for a large retailer and a woman was walking down the aisle with her shirt complete off except around her neck. Looked like a cape. She was bare chested, one breast flopping in the wind and the other was feeding her child. She held the baby like a football. She glared at everyone with a challenging look. I didnt bite (no pun intended). I figure she must be a lunatic looking to start a lawsuit.
Hahaha!

My mom worked at the Humane Society years ago and a lady came in with a kid around 4 years old. Kid strolled over to mom, demanded a drink, and the lady yanked out a boob. Kid stood there with both hands on it, having a snack.

Methinks that's overdoing it. The kid was big enough to go find a water fountain or something.

I have no issues with breastfeeding babies in public. Discretion is always welcome.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I know its natural and all that but no.... when I had babies we were given a bottle straight away in hospital as I dont even remember anyone on the ward breast feeding , one lady did but always had the screens round, so its sort of instilled in my head.. but I just couldnt do it in public if I was a young mother now... sorry folks , thats just me..I know its all changed again and more seem to be breastfeeding and good for them..

Old 08-10-2012, 05:33 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
Breastfeeding baby in public discretely, yes. A baby usually eats every few hours, needs to eat every few hours, gets very hungry and cries if he doesn't and it is easy to cover said breast while feeding baby.

Toddler breast feeding in public is a NO. Whatever you do in your home or in private is your business, but a toddler does not NEED breastmilk and can eat/drink/ get comfort from something else while he is out in public.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
As long as discretion is used, breastfeeding a baby won't even be noticed.

I won't even go there on the toddler issue. They should be drinking from a cup. Period.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
The 2 times I have seen it and found it offensive is at an outside cafe at Walt Disney World and we were eating and a woman sat facing everyone when she could have had her back to everyone and the boob was out and the other time, we went into the reading area of the library and the woman was facing everyone with the boob out. Well, I had my teen son with Down syndrome with us when we saw the woman at the library and he really could not help but stare and seriously, a teen boy and an exposed boob.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I won't even go there on the toddler issue. They should be drinking from a cup. Period.
Many disagree. WHO for example suggest exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.

I have never had a problem with it being performed in public. Mostly it is not even visible anyway unless you strain to see. Babys head usually covers anything you might have an issue with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.