Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Breast feeding, my doctor told me my child would not get sick as often. Is this true for you?
I breast feed. 59 60.82%
My child is rarely sick. 53 54.64%
My child gets sick often. 2 2.06%
I bottle fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 16 16.49%
My child gets sick often. 3 3.09%
I bottle and breast fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 15 15.46%
My child is often sick. 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM

431 posts, read 396,535 times

Advertisements

All during my pregnancy I debated on whether or not to breastfeed. In the end, I did not. I had no desire whatsoever to breastfeed. My baby girl was a bottle-baby :-) She was a happy, healthy child and now is a happy, healthy young adult.

Last edited by Lannie; 06-01-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: spelling, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,844,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
All during my pregnancy I debated on whether or not to breastfeed. In the end, I did not. I had no desire whatsoever to breastfeed. My baby girl was a bottle-baby :-) She was a happy, healthy child and now is a happy, healthy young adult.
Just more proof that parenting and genes are as important as the way you feed them.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:10 PM

743 posts, read 2,240,179 times
Btw, all three of my kids who were exclusively breastfed for 1-2 years hardly ever got sick, even now. One of them has never had a single ear infection, another had her first ear infection at age 4. Also, becasue breastmilk is easily digested, I never had any constipation problems w/ any of my babies.
But, then again, we went w/ the "5 second rule" around here when things fell on the floor....so, maybe that's why their antibodies were built up

Maybe they should conduct a study comparing the health of kids who grew up in environments where things were sterilized and hermetically sealed vs. kids who played and (sometimes ate) in the dirt

Old 06-01-2007, 09:11 PM

190 posts, read 745,360 times
If you mean all those great pens and post-its that Dr.'s get as incentives then I don't think those influence Dr.'s opinions. And as far as I can remember vacations and such are against the AMA. Yes they can be taken to dinner for "educational" reasons, but I think most Peds. would not agree to that. JMO

Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 PM

190 posts, read 745,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
But, then again, we went w/ the "5 second rule" around here when things fell on the floor....so, maybe that's why their antibodies were built up

Maybe they should conduct a study comparing the health of kids who grew up in environments where things were sterilized and hermetically sealed vs. kids who played and (sometimes ate) in the dirt
I do agree with you on this. And I think that study would be very interesting.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Funny you should mention that...one reason why researchers think allergies are so on the rise is the over use of all the antibacterial fighting stuff we use now...it's not really good for us...our immune systems have nothing to busy themselves with so instead allergies develop. There is a study going on now to try to confirm this but it makes so much sense I stopped all the antibacterial cleaning stuff except for in the bathrooms (where I use 10% bleach solution) and kitchen (and I only use it after I've worked with raw meat in the kitchen). The rest of the house gets regular soap and water. I think more kids should eat a little bit of dirt now and then.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Believe it or not I am an OB/GYN nurse and a lactation consultant...I know I didn't breast feed...but it is better...LOL

I will be a Nurse Practitioner OB/GYN next year after I finish my last two courses...I'm not sure if I will go on to midwife or not...the malpractice is crazy high. But we will see.
That is sooo cool....(now I have to go back and read your posts on the birthcontrol thread

I used a nurse/midwife for my second and third children and had great experiences. For my last child we used a catholic midwife which was the "ultimate" for me. I was very committed to an unmedicated birth after almost needing an emergency c-section w/ my first when his heart rate plummeted as a direct result of the epidural (Oh boy.....I can see this post really pushing some buttons....that is soo not my intent)

It's so funny because if you knew me.....I am sooo NOT the all-organic, granola, birkenstock type....I highlight my hair, love make up and eat cheeseburgers

Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
If you mean all those great pens and post-its that Dr.'s get as incentives then I don't think those influence Dr.'s opinions. And as far as I can remember vacations and such are against the AMA. Yes they can be taken to dinner for "educational" reasons, but I think most Peds. would not agree to that. JMO
I'll have to hunt for my copy of Milk, Money and Madness....when I blow off the dust, I'll see what I can find to support what I've said....or, maybe I won't and have egg on my face

Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Another thing I wanted to mention is antibiotics....my kids rarely got them. One of my kids (Oh no, I already forget which one ) had their first prescription at 4 or 5 and the doc was stunned.....I told her it was attributed to breastfeeding, no day care, and of course....eating off the floor

Old 06-01-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Another thing I wanted to mention is antibiotics....my kids rarely got them. One of my kids (Oh no, I already forget which one ) had their first prescription at 4 or 5 and the doc was stunned.....I told her it was attributed to breastfeeding, no day care, and of course....eating off the floor
Yup the overuse of antibiotics is bad, but what's even worse is when people are prescribed a course and don't finish it all...that makes the germ you were treating evolve to a stronger version and antibiotic resistent...much worse for our future. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to just finish their prescription out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting