Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times

Advertisements

I was shopping for a birthday gift yesterday at Metropolis, (The local mall) and happen to look over to the other side of the square at the playground and saw a parent with her little boy and she had him on a leash. I( not even close to being a parent yet because I'm 17) thought it was terrible. I know little kids can be a little rambuncious but are they so bad that they have to be put on leashes? It was just one lady with nothing else but a purse and her kid. It's not like she had her hands full and couldnt keep her kid close.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
I dont like it at all , it compares to a dog or cat being on a leash . I dont think that it very nice at all .

Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,502,804 times
Some children have behavioral issues and I wouldn't give it another thought.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
I bet you kids abducted out of malls and other crowded places weren't on leashes.

At first I thought it was ridiculous, and then I thought to my own childhood. I always managed to wander off if my parents turned away for one second. I was the kid who hid in clothing racks and I even had a melt down at Disney where I hid behind a trash can and scared the daylights out of my mom. As a kid, I had breakdowns when there were too many people around and too much stimulation, so my first instinct was to be alone. That worked out fine when I was 3 years old and hid under the table when people were singing happy birthday to me but completely not fine when out in public- but as a kid, I couldn't control the impulses. A leash would have saved my parents a TON of worry.

Some of them aren't too intrusive. I think the animal backpacks with the tail as the leash are great.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,557,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I agree. I never judge just from looking. I just don't know the situation. I believe if it whatever works, use it. I know of several mothers who have children with severe autisim that use these all the time in public.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,876,088 times
I was in WDW last month and a kid was on a leash and the parent was jerking the leash! to get the kid back... like you would with a dog... mind you the leash was not long at all...I can understand they thought it was a good idea to keep tabs on the kid...but to yank the leash like a dog! Why not go pick the kid up or grab the kids hand? I always used a stroller... in fact my daughter was EXHAUSTED in WDW and she is five.... she used a stroller the whole time. This child who was walking on the leash was about three. Another one, in WDW, was actually wrapping the leash around her neck! Spinning around in circles bored waiting in line....Now that is safe!!! I saw several incidences in WDW that involved this leash alone....The parades were fun... as the parents let the kids just walk out into the streets instead of sitting on the curb like the rest of the kids and the parade workers had to keep asking the parents to control the kids.... Perhaps I just saw lazy parents most of the time... but it was not a great advertisment for the leash....

Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
True
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I agree. I never judge just from looking. I just don't know the situation. I believe if it whatever works, use it. I know of several mothers who have children with severe autisim that use these all the time in public.
I don't know the situation really either.I just saw a mother standing with her little boy on a leash so I don't know if the little boy was autistic or not. I've seen kids with severe autism on leashes and if it weren't for their leashes who knows what would happen but, whatever floats your boat if it works for you then do it. I just thought it was terrible to see a kid on a leash.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 AM

111 posts, read 316,540 times
Looks weird but the only opinion I have on it is that the parents did it out of good intention.....bet the leash company made millions though with that idea

Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 AM

382 posts, read 954,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Just wish that same standard/attitude would apply when people call CPS on parents for other "don't know the situation" issues. As a society we are so concerned when a parent swats a kids butt or grabs them by the arm too forcefully, in your opinion, or even speaking to them in a stern voice, but a demeaning dog leash; well that's ok.

What happened to the "self esteem" issue of a kid being on a dog leash. Leashes are for dogs not kids, even autistic kids.

Just an excuse for not wanting the hard job of parenting properly. I raised four boys and never had to resort to leashes; just constant observation, diligence and yes, a few stern looks, words and swats. Is it draining, yes, but that's what you signed up for when you made them.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,864,010 times
I myself used leashes on a couple of my kids. I only did so after one of my kids took off like a shot within just a couple of seconds of letting her hand go so I could get to something in my purse. My mom and grandmother were standing right there with us but she was so quick. She was around 2 at the time. She literally dissapeared and we could not find her anywhere. I was in a major panic, because it was around the Holiday season and the store was packed. I found someone who worked there and they called a code Adam and started shutting down exits and her description was being given out over the intercom so folks in the store could be keeping an eye out for her. She was found 15-20 mins. later in the dressing rooms clear across the store playing in front of the mirrors. That 15-20 mins. seemed like forever and I was in tears, just knowing that my baby was gone. After she was found I immediately bought a leash and never looked back.

My son had a habit of going and hiding in the clothes racks, so I put a leash on him as well. Both of my two older kids didn't mind shopping as long as they were allowed to walk and not ride in the cart. If I would have put them in a cart they would have had major meltdowns 5 mins. into shopping. The leash was my best solution to keeping them happy and close by.

I have to admit at first (when I was in my late teens) I thought leashes were horrible and I would never use one on my kids. The first time I actually saw someone use one, it changed my mind. This mother was walking home from grocery shopping. She had one hand holding a sack of groceries and the other holding a small child on her hip and the hand of a older toddler/preschooler. She was struggling while crossing the street at a fairly busy intersection and just as she got up onto the curb, the older child broke loose and darted back out into the street, nearly getting hit by a car that was turning. The bumber and the kid's face were just a couple of inches apart. She dropped her groceries, grabbed her child and yanked him back up on the sidewalk. When I saw what was happening with her and the child as they were struggling across the street, I went full run to help her out and tried to help stop the child from heading back into the street, obviously I wasn't quick enough. There was a pet store right there on the corner and she proceded insde and bought a harness and leash. I held onto her groceries while she purchased the harness and leash. She said she had been asking her hubby if she could purchase a leash for the older child because it would be of great help to her, but he didn't want his child looking like a dog. But she said at that point she didn't care, better her child look like a dog, than a flatened pancake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting