Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,739,368 times

Advertisements

Those of you with little ones, especially those who like to climb, please consider securing furniture and heavy televisions to the wall with furniture straps or other appropriate hardware. There was a recent story in my area about a 6-year-old boy who died when a large TV fell on him. From the articles, it sounds like he was climbing on it. Some kids climb bookshelves or dressers to reach something, and they can pull it over on themselves.

My own daughters were about four and six when they tried to climb a dresser to put a videotape in a TV on top of it, and they pulled the whole thing over. Thank God but the TV stayed plugged in, and the sturdy cord kept it from falling all the way over on top of them. That was a frightening experience that could have ended much worse than it did, with two scared girls and some mashed fingers and bruises from all the drawers falling out. We always used straps with tube TVs after that.

Nowadays, more people have flatscreens that are mounted to the wall, or at least not as heavy as the old TVs, but please look around your house at bookshelves, dressers, and other top-heavy items.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=8413193
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM

538 posts, read 1,523,198 times
Heck, I have to secure stuff so my wife doesn't knock stuff over. Makes it easier when the kids are older. (On a serious note, everything should be secure properly anyway, kids or not.)

Old 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
So tragic and what a nightmare for those parents. My heart goes out to them.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:26 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,233,199 times
wow, we've secured our dresser and bookshelf because we've got a 22-month old, but I would've thought by the time they're 6 they would know better to not do stuff like that. I guess you never know...the other thing is of course keeping an eye on them all the time, I guess it doesn't stop even after toddlerhood. Scary.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
wow, we've secured our dresser and bookshelf because we've got a 22-month old, but I would've thought by the time they're 6 they would know better to not do stuff like that. I guess you never know...the other thing is of course keeping an eye on them all the time, I guess it doesn't stop even after toddlerhood. Scary.
It doesn't even take a person to knock something over. A couple of nights ago our cat squeezed himself between a 6-foot tall bookcase and the wall. (Only his little cat-self knows why.) We have everthing secured because we're earthquake paranoid but if it hadn't been strapped to the wall it probably would have fallen over. It was pretty scary to see it moving back and forth.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,760,524 times
Dew just brought up my thought... we secured everything to the walls when we were living in the Seattle area because of the likelyhood of earthquakes. It just so happens that we were living there when the kids were still little, so it was already done.

What a tragic event for the family. My heart goes out to them - I can't imagine the pain of losing a child.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
We had neighbors whose entertainment center fell over on their toddler. He was saved because one corner of it--no more than about 6 inches--caught on a chair and kept it from hitting the floor entirely with him underneath it. There was broken glass everywhere.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,362,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
So tragic and what a nightmare for those parents. My heart goes out to them.
Same here. OMG i really have to child proof the house now before my little rascal is old enough to start touching things. Thanks for the wake up call OP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting