Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:00 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,823,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I know that often the first thought is about the 'bad buys' but in reality it's not so much them that brings out things like leashes, in my opinion.

There are many reasons 2009 is far different than 1979 that bring cause for parents, especially those who have kids that dart off with no notice or fear, to use more caution.

Cars are one main example. There are so many more cars on the road today than 30 years ago..something like 150 million then and 250 million now. That alone makes driveways, streets and parking lots more potential tragedy spots today than 30 years ago.

Add to that many more cars and drivers on the road all the distractions (cell phones, ipods etc) less attention being paid, and the possibility of a child getting hit by a car has increased exponentially. For a child that vanishes in a flash, you have even more so increased chances of danger. It only takes a split second.

Malls in 1979 were very few and far between and they were small things and often the places for pleasant family trips. Today they are much more in quantity and usually huge structures with all sorts of reasons for people to be there and places to go. While the disappearing child couldn't go too far in 1979, today the possibilities are endless and finding them is much more challenging. That's one stress factor we can all do without.

So, for the parent who has a child who vanishes like that, to have the opportunity to add one more layer of protection, good for them! These kids aren't your normal everyday run of the mill kids that most of us have, and unless you have one or have witnessed first hand instances, you just might not quite understand the difference.

None of mine have been like that, but I sure have known many that were! My poor sister in law couldn't let go of her daughter for even a split second or she'd be GONE! Strollers were not able to contain her in the least and nothing could distract her enough if she took a notion to just go. There were far too many 'close calls' for my liking and she wasn't even MY child!
Well said! Taking responsibility and keeping your child safe should never be criticized. What that child needs to stay safe should be for that parent to decide, not someone looking in from the outside. Given that, parents who go overboard are only serving their own issues and not that of the child. Diapers on a 12 yo? That sounds like it's edging on abuse to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,351,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I agree. I never judge just from looking. I just don't know the situation. I believe if it whatever works, use it. I know of several mothers who have children with severe autisim that use these all the time in public.
I couldn't agree more.
The first time I saw that, yes it was a bit of a shock, but I know that may be the best solution for the child. If it helps him be safe, then that's great.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,748,304 times
I just had to add a bit.. When we use the harness (used it twice so far in three years - once in a busy city and once at the airport), my child has worn the harness which looks like a monkey backpack, where the tail is the "leash". I wrap the "leash" around my wrist then hold my child's hand. It's not like I talk on a cell phone, smoke a cigarette and let my kid sniff around like a dog.

Really people, you should not judge others when you seem them use a harness on their kids. Someone mentioned that the "leash" parents are the same who are overly worried about germs etc. No, I can only speak for myself but my child's SAFETY comes in first. Yes, manners should be learned and a child should learn how to hold a hand and not let go and run onto the street. But seriously, is a potentially dangerous (taxis zooming by 45 mph) situation really the place to teach your child? "Jimmy, you go ahead and get hit by a taxi, that'll teach you".. I will not keep my child at home in a bubble and not expose him to the world, I rather take him out there with extra precautions.

If you are reading this and use a harness with your toddler, please try not to care what some people say here or the looks people give you when you're out and about. They should just mind their own business.. You're an awesome parent for taking care of your child's safety!!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 PM

283 posts, read 740,317 times
I tried leashing my middle two children, but it was like trying to control a wildcat on the things! These were little harness things, not around their necks, and they would run to the end of the leash and jolt my arm out of its socket. Or they would lay on the floor and refuse to move. I gave up. It seemed like a great idea, but it was just too much. Our youngest has just been taught to stay with us, and he does pretty well (two years old), but the middle two are too strong willed to stay with us even today (ages 9 and 3!).

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,579,863 times
My mother used the leash on all four of us. We're just fine.
I used them on mine and they are just fine.

My DIL is now considering using one on her's and is worried about what other's think.

I told her not to worry about what other's think. I told her there would always be people who think they are a more perfect parent no matter what the subject was.

A parent needs to what they feel is the best for THEIR family. Don't worry about the others.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,648,361 times
My concern would be for the childs safety, not what anyone thinks. Anyone who's worked in retail will agree.
I've seen quite a few "Code Adams".
Scary, but fortunately, the children were found.

Last edited by virgode; 06-22-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 17,948 times
I never gave it much thought. I think its a good idea for non-stroller kids that have a tendency to wander off and not let the parents concentrate on anything.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

305 posts, read 1,236,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I was shopping for a birthday gift yesterday at Metropolis, (The local mall) and happen to look over to the other side of the square at the playground and saw a parent with her little boy and she had him on a leash. I( not even close to being a parent yet because I'm 17) thought it was terrible. I know little kids can be a little rambuncious but are they so bad that they have to be put on leashes? It was just one lady with nothing else but a purse and her kid. It's not like she had her hands full and couldnt keep her kid close.

What do you guys think?

I had put my 15 mo girl on one at the airport... too many people and i didnt want her to get lost in the shuffle..... that vacation was the only time, she did well.
It was more for security than anything else, once we were out of crowded areas and had no luggage, she was "free". we went to "DC", she was not on the tether there much if at all............

Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,065,826 times
I've used them. When my son was younger and we would go in the stores, I would turn around to pay or do something and he would run as fast as he could down aisles, hallways, etc. I bought it at walmart and it had a wrist guard and a body harness but it was kinda weird making him wear it but I figured better same than sorry. One day he was going to run off and get hurt/kidnapped, etc. So I think they are quite alright now for whoever to use it!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,201,173 times
Before I was a parent I thought that leashes were cruel. Now that I'm a parent I don't think there is anything wrong with them at all. We don't have one but I would get one if I felt that we needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting