Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM

793 posts, read 275,827 times

Advertisements

Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Obligated? I don't think so. But if they're a good kid, you can work out a deal with them. Maybe something like if your child maintains a 4.0 gpa their first two years of high school, you'll get them a car their junior year. They must maintain a 4.0 to keep the car.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
No but if the kid wants to work and you don't live near a bus line or where it would be convenient enough to walk to work or you don't want to have to be running back and forth to take the kid to and from his work, then it can make very good sense to at least help them get started with a car. Otherwise you may have to lend your own car which can be inconvenient.

Another reason is that if you think your kid is reasonably sensible and you know that it can come down to "drive or be driven" when it comes to going out with friends, you might want your kid to be the driver.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
No, but if you live somewhere with no public transport and walking isn't a feasible option then I think it would be good to at least help with the costs of getting one, otherwise I see no need for a teenager to have a car.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?

HAHAHA.........I think not. I had to purchase my own vehicles from the first one to the most recent one and I had to pay for insurance, gasoline, repairs and maintenance as well. Driving is a priviledge not a right and just because I am your parent does not mean I am obligated to purchase anything for you outside of what is a necessity to keep you warm, dry, as safe as possible, fed and clothed.

We did not have any luxuries when I was a child and the rare times my Mother could afford a small extra we were absolutely thrilled to share a cold bottle of pop from the market. We were loved, clothed, fed as well as possible and sheltered and that was enough.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
No.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Is one obligated to do so--No. Can a family make that choice-absolutely. Every family's needs and financial circumstances are different. We choose to give our children cars because we could afford to do so and because it made our lives much easier. We live 20 minutes from the high school they attended. They had after-school activities daily during their sports seasons. During a few summers they had jobs. Public transportation is nonexistent outside of the city limits which is where we live. Our older child was responsible for taking the younger child to his school.

Given our very poor financial circumstances when we started our adult lives, one of our goals has been to help our children start off at a better, or easier place. Older child is financially self-sufficient at 22 and manages to save a good portion of her paycheck monthly. She actually needed little/no financial help from us to get her own apartment, etc. We hope the younger child is the same in a few years. If a reliable car helps them do that, and one can afford it, I see no problem.

Last edited by rrah; 06-04-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
You are not obligated to buy your child their first vehicle. My dad didn't buy my first one. I had to! Tell you what, though, it made me appreciate my vehicle much, much more since it was my own. I was also on my own when it came to repairs. Buy a kid their first vehicle and see how poorly they treat it.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
I don't think parents are obligated to help a child purchase their first vehicle. We can afford to do so and having the kids drive has been a big help to us as a family so we have chosen to do so. However, having a car is not like food, shelter and clothing that a parent is obligated to provide for their children. Some people will make different choices for their family.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Obligated? No.

But unfortunately, unless you live in New York, Chicago, Boston, or a handful of other large cities were having a car is optional, owning a car is essential to most people's day to day functioning. If parents want their kids to go out and go do things, as opposed to hanging around the house all day, those kids have to drive. If parents don't want to be forever lending their kids the car, they might want the kids to have their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting