Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?
Nope! My son will work, save his money and we will match his half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL.
Yes, not only did my parents buy me a car for my 16th birthday, it was a fancy dancy convertible.
Then they paid for every cent of college that wasn't covered by my merit scholarships.
And yet I appreciate it every day, took damn good care of that car, worked an afterschool job anyway, got excellent grades, have perfect credit, and know the value of a dollar.
But you know, that's impossible according to folks here who say if you buy a car for your kid or pay for their school, they will never appreciate it or waste the opportunity.
I think that each kid is vastly different and a car purchase should be one that is carefully considered. I've known quite a few kids who have gotten lovely, new cars while parents are driving clunkers and have trashed those new cars through negligence or just general neglect. Then there are people such as yourself who have appreciated what you have, have worked hard, kept your grades up and do know the value of a dollar. A big purchase by mom or dad isn't the end of the world and each situation and child is different.

Alas, my daughter at least, has given me every indication that she would fall into that earlier category and would not appreciate or take care of the car. For example, we purchased her a nice cell phone that she picked out. Over time, she has become highly resentful that it isn't an iPhone so basically refuses to use it. She only makes calls from her friends' cell phone which is idiotic and only iPhones. Fast forward...I'm sure that the same attitude will be expressed when it comes to cars. You can be damned sure that I'm not buying her a fancy luxury import for her 16th, even if I felt comfortable with her maturity level to have a car. It is all about attitude, maturity, and responsibility exhibited by the child. As both of my kids get older, I will judge the situation and go from there. The more entitlement a child expresses, the less I give. When my daughter in particular finally realizes that, the easier life will be for her.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
On the flip side, I am 27, and have not had a car payment yet in my life as I am still driving the car I had when I got my license.

You know much that has helped me financially? When applying for a mortgage, the lender was taken aback by they fact I had no debt to my name. By city-data standard I would be a spoiled, rotten, good for nothing because my parents picked up the bill for my college education and bought me a car.
My son at 16 already has great credit, cause he's an authorized user on our CC, with high limit and zero balance. It will help him out if he ever needs a loan in his name only.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Both DH & I had assistance from our parents when getting our first cars way back when (neither of us lived in walkable areas or areas with good public transport). Obviously though, the stipulation was that we contribute to the insurance / registration and pay all our own gas money (DH actually paid all of his insurance after a short while as well).

We will more than likely be doing the same for our upcoming child and future children. Neither DH or I had anything fancy as our first cars (I had a 1970s Celica and he had a 1960s Ford Pickup) but they got from A-B. DH will probably end up getting our son a 'project car' that they can work on together and get running prior to him turning 16 with the agreement being that if our son helps out with getting it running, he gets the car. I think it sounds like a pretty good incentive!

We definitely wouldn't be buying our children new cars, that's for sure. Something to get to part-time jobs though and run errands while giving a bit of freedom though, of course!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL.
Yes, not only did my parents buy me a car for my 16th birthday, it was a fancy dancy convertible.
Then they paid for every cent of college that wasn't covered by my merit scholarships.
And yet I appreciate it every day, took damn good care of that car, worked an afterschool job anyway, got excellent grades, have perfect credit, and know the value of a dollar.
But you know, that's impossible according to folks here who say if you buy a car for your kid or pay for their school, they will never appreciate it or waste the opportunity.
Well he's doesn't have fancy convertible but does have older BMW. He makes straight A's, incredible swimmer/water polo player, school/sports are his FT JOB. He does have summer job as swim coach. He appreciates everything he has. DH and I often wonder if he's our kid cause we were so different as teenagers.

I do not think parents are obligated to buy children a car, but if their good kids, I think they should help in some way. I see my son getting more independent with his new lifestyle, car, job, etc...we are experiencing less "teenage issues" now that he feels more in control of his own life. He's growing up!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Not obligated, but it sure was a relief not having to take them to all their jobs and school activities anymore!
Good kids, good grades, responsible and hard working, definitely worth the price of a couple of old beaters.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
No. I used my parents' cars when they were free, until I graduated college. Then my father gave me the down payment on a used truck - but only because he had unexpectedly backed out of paying for a semester of college earlier and I had been forced take out even more loans and to graduate early (and skip adding a "minor" to my degree).

But this is what I will say: I think you have an obligation as a parent to ensure that your child is driving a SAFE vehicle, no matter who has paid for it.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I think that each kid is vastly different and a car purchase should be one that is carefully considered. I've known quite a few kids who have gotten lovely, new cars while parents are driving clunkers and have trashed those new cars through negligence or just general neglect.
I consider it partly a parent's responsibility to see that a car driven by a teen is properly maintained. The kid never had a car before. They don't know how to take care of it. The parents have to make sure the car is maintained. Just like you teach your child to take care of things as he grows up you also have to teach that child how to take care of a car. I don't understand why a parent would give a child a car and then not make sure they knew how to take care of it (and make sure it happened). Parents don't need to actually maintain the car but they need to ensure that their children maintain it.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
We gave each of the 3 boys a used car when they got their license. Two of them were my hand-me-downs, the third one was purchased. As so many have said, it was to make our lives easier with transportation to school, activities and jobs. Definitely NOT through any sense of obligation to them.

I bought my own first car, as did my DH. I bought what I could afford, and my father finally replaced it because it kept leaving oil spots on his driveway.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
My parents gave me my first car so they could stop driving me to school and appointments, and so I could drive my younger sister around. I'm not complaining; it was a mutually beneficial deal!

As far as not taking care of the car, I drove that car for over 200,000 miles and 12 years. The only reason I don't have it any more is because a big rig decided to plow into me on the highway One of the reasons I'm alive is because I had a good, reliable car instead of being forced to buy a cheap junk car. I asked my parents at the hospital if they had any regrets and they said NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting