Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,726,697 times

Advertisements

My daughter who is quickly closing in on 10 years old is complaining of her breasts hurting. She says they feel like they're pushing out. Now, as a dad I'm not sure what this is going to feel like, and isn't ten a wee bit too young? I do know she wants her breasts to grow and grow, but I'm just not sure what to think.

We have already begun to deal with mood swings and a sassy mouth (something she has never had). Do girl's voices change noticeably like boys do?

I remember puberty and it was not fun going through it as a child. Now, as a parent...I have a feeling it is going to be much worse!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,373,511 times
Sounds like things might be starting!!

Get the American Girl Doll book "My Body." It's really helpful.

Amazon.com: The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library): Valorie Schaefer, Norm Bendell: Books

You can read it, she can read it, you can read it together to help you both understand. I picked it up at Walgreens! My daughters keep it in their room and look at it often.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,506,277 times
no it's not too young. she might still have a year or two left before her menstruation starts, but i have heard of it starting at 10 also. depends on when mom and grandma got theirs.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 AM

652 posts, read 2,665,680 times
My daughter loved the American girl books. not the novels but the body books, babysitting, etc. they have several fun self help/knowledge books for preteens/young teens. Puberty starts so young these days. I think my dh started "changing" around 10. she didnt start her period until 13 though. She is also very active, skinny, and doesnt eat a lot of fast food or processed food. I have read that typically plays a role. The book was nice because she didnt want to talk to me about that stuff. she would ask a question and didnt want more than that specific answer. I always thought it was weird because she didnt mind talking about sex, drugs, boys, etc. I read the book first and highlighted some of the areas I thought she would want to go back to and read again. She really liked it and wants to send it to her 10yr old half sister in va.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,000 times
I hear you...I was actually an early developer. Good thing I was mature in other ways and very well read.

My son is only about a year younger than I was when I was in puberty but he is so CLUELESS compared to how I was at his age.

Would you allow her to read some Judy Blume books? I know they may be a bit 'racy' but I read them as a 10 year old child and they helped me realize that all girls go through certain things. I recommend Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret. The girls in the book are all in 6th grade. (*maybe you want to read it first)

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,479,390 times
Not too young. I got my first period shortly after my 10th birthday and at that point I already had to wear a bra and was begging my mom to let me shave my legs because I was embarrassed in PE class.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
no it's not too young. she might still have a year or two left before her menstruation starts, but i have heard of it starting at 10 also. depends on when mom and grandma got theirs.
Her mom was probably 10 or 11 when it happened. Her mother 's side of the family is very well endowed...which as a father petrifies me! Since our daughther was born we've noticed that her body type is more like her maternal grandfather's side, which is more petite. I could only hope that she has her great grandmother's size.

She does have the American Girl book on bodies. I am going to scour her room and look for it. I think daddy really needs to read up on this. I miss my little toddler girl!!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 AM

831 posts, read 2,440,532 times
I have two girls. My oldest started at 11. I was told (by a dentist, believe it or not) that this was going to happen early. He said he could tell because she had all her adult teeth at such an early age and I should prepare myself. Her sister has been experiencing the same things your daughter has. Its been going on for at least 6 months. The best advice is to make sure shes prepared when it happens. The moods only happen once a month now :-)

Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I have two girls. My oldest started at 11. I was told (by a dentist, believe it or not) that this was going to happen early. He said he could tell because she had all her adult teeth at such an early age and I should prepare myself. Her sister has been experiencing the same things your daughter has. Its been going on for at least 6 months. The best advice is to make sure shes prepared when it happens. The moods only happen once a month now :-)
That is an interesting statement about the teeth. My daughter lost her last baby tooth about two weeks ago.

My daughter has been talking to her mom quite a bit so she is informed. Maybe I'm the one who needs to be better informed. Last night when she started commenting about her chest hurting I just assumed it was because she really wants her breasts to grow. Any suggestions on how to make her pain subside? Advil?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM

652 posts, read 2,665,680 times
IMHO I wouldnt give her anything unless it is really painful. I found with my dd if she consistantly exercercised her upper body and drank plenty of water it helped. a couple of times I gave her something but it didnt really help much.
Oh, I dont know how true it is cause I didnt do it when I was younger, but she used to say the padded bras helped. it just cushioned her when something would touch her. That was how I got her wearing bras. she refused until things got painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.