Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times

Advertisements

Are you a Dad totally alone raising your daughter? I was raised with 4 sisters and no brothers and the hormone surges made our home like a bunch of fighting hens in a chicken coop...it was awful. Ten seems fairly young but not out of the question for a girl to start to mature. I was older but then everyone is different. Please remember to try to talk with her about how she is feeling and what she thinks she might need to make her more comfortable. I know this might be difficult for a Dad to do talking with his daughter, but it is essential so that she will feel comfortable telling you when things change. You need to stay tuned in to her bodily changes for health reasons as well. Good luck and hang in with the flip mouth...that is part of it too.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Girls voices do not change like boys. Usually the first sign of puberty with a girl is the breasts getting bigger. Hair on the legs and under the arms begins growing and then at some point her periods will start. Along with this you usually do see a lot of attitude changes with girls. I send my condolences!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
This thread reminds me of when my daughter went through this. One evening she said that she thought something was happening to her chest. I requested permission to feel, and she agreed. After a moment, I told her, "Yes, honey, you're starting to develop." With great trepidation, she asked, "How long does it take?" I quickly told her, "Years! It takes years, sweetie." My poor baby probably thought she'd wake up in a week with fully formed breasts! She didn't get her period until she was 13; that made me feel old!

Hoosier, you'll be fine. Your wife will be around to help her through it, right?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Are you a Dad totally alone raising your daughter? I was raised with 4 sisters and no brothers and the hormone surges made our home like a bunch of fighting hens in a chicken coop...it was awful. Ten seems fairly young but not out of the question for a girl to start to mature. I was older but then everyone is different. Please remember to try to talk with her about how she is feeling and what she thinks she might need to make her more comfortable. I know this might be difficult for a Dad to do talking with his daughter, but it is essential so that she will feel comfortable telling you when things change. You need to stay tuned in to her bodily changes for health reasons as well. Good luck and hang in with the flip mouth...that is part of it too.
No, I'm not thank goodness. I do want her to feel comfortable talking to me. We have a terrific relationship...matter of fact she's waiting for daddy to lay down with her and help her get to sleep. Needs her daddy cuddles. Makes me feel great to know she still needs daddy cuddles.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM

819 posts, read 1,591,789 times
A lot of dads will start distancing their girls when puberty starts in simply because they are not as informed as the women who have gone thru it. Don't let this make any difference in how you treat her. She's nervous about it - even if she does not know what she is nervous about.

My daugther had PMS big time and her dad always threatened to build a "menstrual hut" like the Indians used to do - for her! Even if you have to go to the store for her "necessities" she will probably think you have no idea what they're for.

Good luck - there were 5 girls in my family and 2 boys! What fun, one of us was always, starting, just getting over, right in the middle, etc. Drove our brothers crazy.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
A lot of dads will start distancing their girls when puberty starts in simply because they are not as informed as the women who have gone thru it. Don't let this make any difference in how you treat her. She's nervous about it - even if she does not know what she is nervous about.

My daugther had PMS big time and her dad always threatened to build a "menstrual hut" like the Indians used to do - for her! Even if you have to go to the store for her "necessities" she will probably think you have no idea what they're for.

Good luck - there were 5 girls in my family and 2 boys! What fun, one of us was always, starting, just getting over, right in the middle, etc. Drove our brothers crazy.
I could not imagine distancing myself from my daughter. I've started talking to her more about what is happening. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea initially, but am glad I've done it. I told her I am here if she wants to talk. I can be a good listener.

I let her know I understand what is happening since I have a sister, mom and wife. I've heard many stories about what has happened to other women, but couldn't tell her how things physically felt. I could tell that she heard me and felt more comfortable after we talked.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
I agree. Is it not acceptable for a father today to be affectionate with his own daughter just because of this paranoia we have?

Suggesting that someone is a child molester (which I think she CLEARLY did in the comment in parenthesis about the "red flags") on a public forum because they love their child and are affectionate with their child. I don't know what to say about how messed up that is.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Hoosier, you can't really blame someone for thinking in that way. While many of us know you, there are many more that don't. With all of the evilness that we hear of out there in the world it is wise for everyone to be on their guard.

However, there is nothing more special than the relationship between a father and his daughter. The closeness that you speak of reminds me of the relationship I had with my father. I would often climb on his lap while he was in his recliner and just watch TV or read the funnies in the paper. As I grew older those times became fewer. Thursday, January 28th, 1971 I sat on his lap and we watched TV. That was the last night I ever did so. He died the next day while I was in school of a massive coronary. I was just 13 years old. I will always treasure those times that it was just him and me. Thirty eight years later I can still feel his gentle touch as he held me, his youngest daughter, on his lap. I think of him every day and thank God that we had the relationship that we did.

Be the great and loving father that it sounds like you are. Love that little girl as only a daddy can. Build her memories.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Hoosier, you can't really blame someone for thinking in that way. While many of us know you, there are many more that don't. With all of the evilness that we hear of out there in the world it is wise for everyone to be on their guard.

However, there is nothing more special than the relationship between a father and his daughter. The closeness that you speak of reminds me of the relationship I had with my father. I would often climb on his lap while he was in his recliner and just watch TV or read the funnies in the paper. As I grew older those times became fewer. Thursday, January 28th, 1971 I sat on his lap and we watched TV. That was the last night I ever did so. He died the next day while I was in school of a massive coronary. I was just 13 years old. I will always treasure those times that it was just him and me. Thirty eight years later I can still feel his gentle touch as he held me, his youngest daughter, on his lap. I think of him every day and thank God that we had the relationship that we did.

Be the great and loving father that it sounds like you are. Love that little girl as only a daddy can. Build her memories.
I'm real sorry to hear about your dad.

Honestly, I think that hoosier can blame her for that comment. It was WAY out of line.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
At our elementary school we have had a couple of girls start at 8, several.. maybe 10 or so that I know of that started at 9, age 10 is NOT unheard of to start your period.
Good Luck Dad.
My ex wife had her menarche @ age 9--------and; had a serious bust by age 13 or thereabouts. It was no fun to hear her tell it since she appeared to look much older (if one catches my drift).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting