Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM

591 posts, read 1,416,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I think it is a wonderful selfless thing to do and Good for You CountryLovingWoman as I am sure you have so much to offer a child. There are so many that need homes.

I don't think it is our place to judge.
thank you. Course when he was asking me to pull his finger yesterday so he could rip a tootie I'm not sure how wonderful I felt then lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,198,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
A grandmother at 24!!! Did you post that right??? One way to do that would be to have a kid when you are 12 and then your kid has a kid at 12!! I don't think anybody would think that is a good idea and SOMEBODY should surely have some regrets (or be in prison for statutory rape).
Yelp they lived next to us.

hillman

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
More and more women are having babies in their 30's and 40's. I guess a married couple can enjoy life while they're young and then settle into having a family. But I feel the older we get, the more we might appreciate slowing down and relaxing - at least I do. At 39, I can't imagine being responsible for another human being for 18 more years.

I also like being young enough to be able to relate to my son during his entry into adulthood. He likes being around me, wants me to tear up the town with him when he turns 21. I'm not much of a party gal anymore, but I love that he thinks I'm "cool" enough to party with.

Your thoughts?
I think they should pass a law against becomming a parent until you're, at least, 30. I see too many bad parents in their teens and 20's. I think growing up before you have kids is a good thing. It's not about them thinking we're young enough to party with. We're their parents.

Raising kids in my 40's is very different than raising kids in my 20's was (married a man with children so I've done both). I'm calmer, have more insight and we're more stable today. Just the financial aspects of being an older parent are worth it. Kids don't need to be raised in a household that is stressed because their parents are living hand to mouth.

I'm a bit tainted here. I've met one too many young women who have kids because having kids makes them feel important. I want to yell at them, THEY"RE NOT ABOUT YOU!!!!! I hate the "Look at me I'm a mom" attitude and the focus on kids like the world revolves around them is raising a generation of adults who expect everyone else to cater to them (IMO this attitude is borne out of moms need to feel important so she makes her children of the utmost importance so her serving them has importance). I'll tell you one thing, we're screwing up a generation.

One thing I can say about women who have careers first is they are not having kids in order to make themselves feel important. Their kids are not a source of self esteem for them. They've already gone out there and proven they cna succeed. They're, most often, choosing to have kids because they want them and are ready.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Well its also if you follow the Bible.I have one neighbor that has had over 20 kids because of their beliefs.I know one of their Daughters was told not to have kids because a Horse fell on her and messed her up.But I think they have at least 6 kids.

I know there was 10 kids in our family.I'm the oldest Mom had me at 15.

hillman

Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,689,462 times
I had my first 2 weeks after my 19th bday and twins right before my 21st. I am married to the same man(their dad) and wouldn't change that for a hot second. I am glad I had them young cause now they are on their own, self sufficient...1 is married and another is making babies in every port and the oldest has a career, travels...and goes and does stuff the other 2 cannot do right now...
Yeah, we were young... but we made us and our family a priority. I suppose we are the semi exception to the rule.
I canNOT imagine dealing with the teen years now. I have no patience for that crap. I guess my kids are lucky The teen years are ugly.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,343,541 times
One of my friends had her first at 16 and two more before she was 21. When she was around 23 (I think) she had to have a hysterectomy because of cancer and if she hadn't had those kids when she was so young, she never would have. I guess things worked out the way they were supposed to in her case. She has lots of grandchildren now.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM

I was wondering something too.I've had some genetic problems show up after I had my kids.Makes a person wonder if they would have gone ahead knowing this before they had kids.

hillman

Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,686,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
The current crop of younger folks seem generally less mature and I agree that many of them are better off waiting until they are older to have their kids, some still live with their own parents at the ages we had our kids. Maturity is better factor to consider than age.
oh please, every generation thinks the one after them are more immature etc. movies have been made on the subject - bye, bye birdie "kids" anyone?

regardless - if a couple 'o mature and ready newlyweds wanna knock themselves up nice and early good for them.

as I said in the thread that is just like this one**....hubby and I married at 25 and we are 27/28 right now. We travel often...all over the US and world...and will be birthin' a kiddo...hopefully having a baby making trip to Europe... into a 5 digit college fund.

there is a benefit of age and establishment...

Why is there such a rush to have kids after marriage? ( 1 2 3 4)

Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,689,462 times
Well, in our case we were in NO way ready to be parents...but ... my husband was a drummer in a touring rock band and we traveled with him until the kids were ready for school. It was then we took a long hard look at life and decided we needed to 'mainstream'... and seeing dad a few weeks a year wasn't going to work... and I was NOT going to fly to wherever they were every few weeks with the kids just to see him. That was a hard time for a couple of 20 sumthings...
Too bad they don't remember a lot of the people they met and the places they've been...They have their little place in the 'Big Hair' days of rock history.
We did what we did for them and us.
Daddy is still a drummer...in our basement. He's recorded some stuff over the years...the kids are doing good...
He has no regrets... the kids love him more than me
Not to mention we were the cool parents at Back to School Night cause we had *gasp* tattoos!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,549,022 times
I think it's all up to what end up being right for you.

I have a friend that had children at 31 $ 33 and she and her husband STILL weren't old enough.

Our friends children had their children at 22 and 24 and have been the best parents ever.

Being young enough to play with the grands is a big plus for ME...doesn't make it right or wrongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting