Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times

Advertisements

I am sick of school fundraising. My kids don't participate anymore. If the school gives me the amount of money they need for a field trip or party, I'll write them a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,438,444 times
I'm a parent, and I HATE fundraising. I would much rather just write a check to the school, band, whatever. But the schools make such a huge deal about it. They had a big assembly at the elementary school to "launch" their fundraiser. Basically a big pep rally for the kids to get excited to participate. So my kids come home thinking that they HAVE to do it. They also give prizes if the kids sell a certain amount of stuff, so now they want to win the prizes. They also think that everyone else is doing it and don't want to be left out. So as a parent, when you tell them "no," they are disappointed, sad, and scared that they will be made fun of or actually get in trouble. It's absurd. These are little kids!

Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
When one of my grandchildren was selling something, I’d just send a check to the school or the scout troop. This way, they get all the money. If some random child asks me to buy something for $5. in front of a store, I probably always will.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'm a parent, and I HATE fundraising. I would much rather just write a check to the school, band, whatever. But the schools make such a huge deal about it. They had a big assembly at the elementary school to "launch" their fundraiser. Basically a big pep rally for the kids to get excited to participate. So my kids come home thinking that they HAVE to do it. They also give prizes if the kids sell a certain amount of stuff, so now they want to win the prizes. They also think that everyone else is doing it and don't want to be left out. So as a parent, when you tell them "no," they are disappointed, sad, and scared that they will be made fun of or actually get in trouble. It's absurd. These are little kids!
Oh those pep rallies annoy me the most. Seriously, think about it. The school is allowing a company to take time away from education in order to pump kids up to hawk their wares. SO ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,675,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I totally agree with this and I think this type of school assembly should be banned. I have seen the ramifications from both sides - as a parent and as a school employee.

And you are correct - my kids always felt they needed to be part of the fundraising while I preferred to just write a check. I hope parents are being more vocal about this now and standing up to their PTA group running these fundraisers. These groups are often dominated by a very small group of parents.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
My kids' charter school isn't big on fundraising in that sense but even if it were I don't care, I'd just do it. When I was a kid I had to hawk candy all of the time. It's just a rite of passage, I guess. I buy some things and other times I don't. No hard feelings on either side. I still say that you can easily say "no thank you" to a kid. My dog is far more effective at extracting stuff from a person than my kid. She'll gladly accept "no thanks" and move on to the next door. If anything, door to door helps people get out and actually meet their neighbors, whether people buy or not. It develops social skills. I don't particularly like going to door to door but I will always support my kids' endeavors and my kids are respectful enough to respect others' wishes.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,870,149 times
I've only read the first couple of pages of responses, but I feel like I'm in the minority in that I don't mind it.

Mind you, we often just get Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts door knocking. We always try to purchase something.

What DOES annoy me though, is there is an intersection on a busy road just beyond the city limits (unincorporated county so it is permitted) that always seems to have at least half a dozen children standing in the center island, collecting donations or trying to sell something for their school or sports team. Sometimes I can't even spot where the parents are.

Some of the kids even run across the road when traffic isn't even at a stop. I just feel that it is SO unsafe for them to be standing in the middle of a busy road- it is only a matter of time before a child gets hit by a car. I wish the county would disallow it.

I would FAR prefer these children to be coming door to door chaperoned than trying to sell to cars stopped at a traffic light.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 AM

638 posts, read 530,153 times
Yes. My children do not participate in those. I write a check. Save the fat donations for kids whose parents can’t afford it. A one time check writing campaign is much more effective than wrapping paper bullhooey.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,122,054 times
I don't want anyone coming to my house for any reason. But I do prefer selling over "canning". At least they're doing something rather than just begging for money.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM

1,665 posts, read 977,083 times
We live in a rural area. Our neighbor has 3 children. If they would come over to see if we would buy something, we probably would. We're pretty much new to the area and love it. We would have no problem supporting our local school.

Now when we go to Wal-Mart, urgh. The kids and adults are strategically placed at the exits. We usually tell them thanks, but no thanks, we do not carry cash. Now if it's the girl scout cookies, we make it a point to withdraw cash for those. Samoas, Thin Mints...Oh my!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting