Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
As public schools continue to get de-funded, expect more of these fundraisers.
And I just thought— I have friends in multiple school districts. So I don’t get hit up just once for these things, I get hit up multiple times. And they aren’t doing it just once, it’s through out the year.

Add to the fact, that most stores that I shop in are also asking for donations every time I go in, most tv channels are asking for help for all sorts of various disasters, homeless on every corner with signs ...I am suffering from Donor Burn Out. It’s a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
I had a funny experience with this. My niece goes to a high school in Texas. Her drama club was raising money for something and the club wanted to go a traditional fundraiser in the form of a car wash. These types of fundraisers I find great because you are getting something for your donation, plus it teaches the kids about working for something you want. In the end, the teacher declined this idea and wanted each student to solicit people for email addresses and then using some third party solicitation program, sent out an email blast to all the addresses asking for money. Each student was REQUIRED to return to class with 5 legit email addresses. I've now received about 5 emails to one email address from the class asking for money.

Seriously, what does this teach a child? When you want something, just stick your hand out and eventually someone will put some money in it? What happened to working for something your class needs?

Old 10-24-2017, 01:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think most people hate the fundraisers, especially the kids and their parents. I do sometimes wish the schools would just ask for money instead of having kids sell things where the school only gets a percentage. I do like things like "dine out" nights where the restaurant gives the school a portion of that night's proceeds but things like buying magazines and popcorn is just not worth it. Nobody really wants those magazines or popcorn but they feel like they should help so they end up spending $30 and the school only gets $10. I think a lot of people would prefer to forgo the magazines or popcorn and just give the school the $30.
Ask the schools to do fundraisers that are NOT corporate sponsored. For example, it may behoove them to just ask directly for money. Or, buy ingredients at a supermarket and bake your own pastries

Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
As a person with no kids, I have a really difficult time summoning any desire to contribute to school fundraisers, especially in my district where 75% of our astronomically high property taxes goes to the school budget (which, incidentally and without fail, increases every year). So no, I don't think it's rude. If the school district cannot adequately manage a budget which far exceeds that of any other part of the country, then the issue is at the district level and not that of those who don't want to contribute further to its mismanagement. /end rant

I consider my donation to be paying out my ludicrously high property taxes for which I receive nothing in return, since I don't have any kids benefiting from the public schools.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM

173 posts, read 134,724 times
So many grumpy people. If you don’t want to fund education (and not just money but management) properly then this happens.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I had a funny experience with this. My niece goes to a high school in Texas. Her drama club was raising money for something and the club wanted to go a traditional fundraiser in the form of a car wash. These types of fundraisers I find great because you are getting something for your donation, plus it teaches the kids about working for something you want. In the end, the teacher declined this idea and wanted each student to solicit people for email addresses and then using some third party solicitation program, sent out an email blast to all the addresses asking for money. Each student was REQUIRED to return to class with 5 legit email addresses. I've now received about 5 emails to one email address from the class asking for money.

Seriously, what does this teach a child? When you want something, just stick your hand out and eventually someone will put some money in it? What happened to working for something your class needs?
that is pretty ridiculous. Granted, the PTO at my kid's school does direct fundraising where we ask people to just give money. But that's adults asking other adults and they get to at least come to a party where they can eat and drink (including beer and wine) for free.

People complain about kids/younger people acting entitled but if this is what they are being told they have to do by an authority figure like a teacher, how else are they supposed to act?

That doesn't take away from the grumpiness exhibited on the thread and that some people find it so much effort to simply say no, thanks. But a process like this instead of selling something (even overpriced! lol!) or providing a service is just crazy.

I wish kids did car washes out here in Denver where I live now, we did them constantly when I was a kid and it was nice to have a clean car. My car needs to be washed and I'd so much rather give $$ to some kids raising money for a good cause than a commercial car wash.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Easy....Just don't answer the door.

I don't mind it, I get a tickle out of seeing those little eager faces....And I so appreciate that parents are waiting on the sidewalk, otherwise I'd be concerned.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that is pretty ridiculous. Granted, the PTO at my kid's school does direct fundraising where we ask people to just give money. But that's adults asking other adults and they get to at least come to a party where they can eat and drink (including beer and wine) for free.

People complain about kids/younger people acting entitled but if this is what they are being told they have to do by an authority figure like a teacher, how else are they supposed to act?

That doesn't take away from the grumpiness exhibited on the thread and that some people find it so much effort to simply say no, thanks. But a process like this instead of selling something (even overpriced! lol!) or providing a service is just crazy.

I wish kids did car washes out here in Denver where I live now, we did them constantly when I was a kid and it was nice to have a clean car. My car needs to be washed and I'd so much rather give $$ to some kids raising money for a good cause than a commercial car wash.
Car washes are the best fundraisers.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
As a person with no kids, I have a really difficult time summoning any desire to contribute to school fundraisers, especially in my district where 75% of our astronomically high property taxes goes to the school budget (which, incidentally and without fail, increases every year). So no, I don't think it's rude. If the school district cannot adequately manage a budget which far exceeds that of any other part of the country, then the issue is at the district level and not that of those who don't want to contribute further to its mismanagement. /end rant

I consider my donation to be paying out my ludicrously high property taxes for which I receive nothing in return, since I don't have any kids benefiting from the public schools.
Agreed!!! I live in the highest taxed district in my city & experienced school district increases every two years and this last ballot the school district went door to door asking for support on the measure. I know they did not like my feedback but I'm sorry it is clear there is financial mismanagement and I feel administrators are severely over paid and the teachers are disgustingly underpaid. I'm all for teachers being paid but school are like every other corporation where you have senior leaders making obscene salaries and turning out subpar performance. I guarantee I could make the district profitable and have a surplus.
Fortunately, all the voters felt the same way as I and shot down the increase citing tax fatigue. The only benefit you have out of a strong district is property values but there comes a point where how many swimming pools does the local middle school need.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I think some kids really benefit from learning to talk to and persuade people.
For other kids, it's hell.

It would be much better if schools didn't choose the ripoff companies that take a huge chunk of the sales.
Maybe have creative kids make stuff, extroverts sell it, mathletes do the books...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting