Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:46 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No , just people being honest. When my sons were young, I absolutely hated the way the schools would load them up with candy and other stuff to sell. We usually bought it all so they wouldn't have to go all over the neighborhood, begging for money.

Another issue is safety. This isn't 1950 America anymore, and we aren't in Mayberry. It is not safe to let small children walk up to strangers doors because you never know what kind of creep lives there.
I felt the same. I did not want my children exploited and hustling for money, and also felt it was a safety issue also. However I was happy to contribute to the school and let my children focus on homework and family time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 PM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
Local semi-private school here is raising money for a 7th grade trip to Wash,. DC. When I heard it was going to be a device-free week for the kids, I was happy to support it (bake sale, car wash). Also saving up my returnable cans for them.

Can't stand when they just have a can and beg (usually seems to be sports team/little league types). DO something to earn the money.

GS cookies, I would rather just give them the money. They get less than a $ per box sold, great deal for the cookie company, not so great for the kids.

Many years ago our neighbor (HS age, I think) came over selling dry-erase boards as part of Junior Achievement. I had NO use for one, but her sales pitch was just adorable and she was really Miss Personality, so I couldn't resist. And it was only $5.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Well, neighbors bought from my kid when he was selling boy scout popcorn, etc ~ so now I return the favor. If it's magazines or candles, etc I usually pass.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No , just people being honest. When my sons were young, I absolutely hated the way the schools would load them up with candy and other stuff to sell. We usually bought it all so they wouldn't have to go all over the neighborhood, begging for money.

Another issue is safety. This isn't 1950 America anymore, and we aren't in Mayberry. It is not safe to let small children walk up to strangers doors because you never know what kind of creep lives there.
Maybe if people would get out and get to know their neighbors the people on the street wouldn't be strangers. Or at least you'd have an idea they were creeps.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I agree with you that it is evil, but when did it become necessary? It didn't happen in the 1940s or the 1950s, nor did it happen in the 1960s or the 1970s when I was growing up. I can't even remember it happening in the 1980s or 1990s. Sure kids sold girl scout cookies and had bake sales and car washes, but they didn't just hit people up for money at their homes or while waiting in traffic at stop lights.

Fundraising as the OP has defined it is not necessary. Schools can be great places to learn without such fundraisers, if the administrators would practice proper budgeting.
Absolutely happened in the 70's forward.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Oh and in Texas it isn't about the administrators not budgeting. Rather the state legislator stealing the ttax dollars I pay to the district I live in. If they actually sent it to the poor districts it was intended for that would be different.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:25 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Absolutely happened in the 70's forward.
Selling door to door for schools also happened in the 1960s. I remember well as I was out selling candy for our marching band when I fell down some steps. Broke a couple of bones in my foot, had to go to the hospital for a cast and was on crutches for a few weeks.

Needless to say my parents immediately put an end to my sales career!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
Around here the kids are not allowed to conduct door to door sales. For safety reasons of course

Old 10-23-2017, 05:40 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,744,143 times
Thanks for everyone's feedback- as it seems there are mixed feelings of this but the majority seem to dislike the practice for one reason or another. I was thinking maybe I should go door to door asking my neighbors for fundraising dollars for my retirement savings, is this not the same premise?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:12 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I dont have kids and live in a very urban neighborhood where they should not be going door to door anyway, with or without parents. I smile, say no thank you, and shut the door if it is a child. Adults get anything from the full treatment with police being called to a closed door. Really depends on my mood and what they are "selling". Door to door anything really should not be done. It is possible for crooks to be trying to figure out who is home or the age of who lives at the house for "bad" purposes. We also have a couple of mentally ill people who will ring the doorbell or knock at times like 3am. I always call the police for them just in case they try and break down the door. Which happened to a neighbor at 8am on a Sunday.
There have been some cases of thieves working in pairs in my nice suburban area. One rings the doorbell and distracts the owner while the other goes around the back and tries to get in through a back door or slider.

I have a big lunatic dog and I dont answer the door to solicitors mainly because they tend to walk away on their own when they see him barking and carrying on in the window. If the mailman or a neighbor rings the bell, I'll shove the dog in the den and shut the door (and I crate him if I'm expecting company), but I don't do that if it's someone I dont know. The kids in my neighborhood dont go door-to-door... we have a lot of wooded lots so it would be a lot if walking for minimum payoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting