Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Add to the fact, that most stores that I shop in are also asking for donations every time I go in, most tv channels are asking for help for all sorts of various disasters, homeless on every corner with signs ...I am suffering from Donor Burn Out. It’s a thing.
Donor Burn Out. I can totally see that. Seems like everywhere you go people have their hand out. Some places are really rude about it too. I don't know why cashiers get snotty about it. It's not like the money is going to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I had a funny experience with this. My niece goes to a high school in Texas. Her drama club was raising money for something and the club wanted to go a traditional fundraiser in the form of a car wash. These types of fundraisers I find great because you are getting something for your donation, plus it teaches the kids about working for something you want. In the end, the teacher declined this idea and wanted each student to solicit people for email addresses and then using some third party solicitation program, sent out an email blast to all the addresses asking for money. Each student was REQUIRED to return to class with 5 legit email addresses. I've now received about 5 emails to one email address from the class asking for money.

Seriously, what does this teach a child? When you want something, just stick your hand out and eventually someone will put some money in it? What happened to working for something your class needs?
I'd be deleting those email and get removed from the list. If they don't stop sending them, I'd report them as spam. That's what it is.

Email blasts are not fundraisers. This is just bizarre!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSleepyKitten View Post
So many grumpy people. If you don’t want to fund education (and not just money but management) properly then this happens.
I live in the state with the highest school taxes in the nation. Education is HIGHLY funded here. We spend more per student than any other state. Funding isn't the problem. It's how the money is spent.....that's the problem.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
As a parent, I hate the fundraising. My daughter doesn't do it - and I don't want to "buy" any overpriced stuff I don't need or want. I would love to just write a check and I think that will be my new plan. However, I know that in our school district some parents would rather "get" something for their $ then just send in a check so going fundraising-free would probably hurt more than help. I do use SmileAmazon with my daughter's school as the beneficiary - it adds up.

As far as girl scout cookies she sells to family - and I do bring ONLY that form to work - to people we know WANT cookies. I would never expect anyone to buy anything.
Long ago when my dd was a girl scout, we had a neighbor who would bring her form in to work at ..........
Keebler Cookies. Everyone bought because they loved girl scout cookies despite working at Keebler.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think most people hate the fundraisers, especially the kids and their parents. I do sometimes wish the schools would just ask for money instead of having kids sell things where the school only gets a percentage. I do like things like "dine out" nights where the restaurant gives the school a portion of that night's proceeds but things like buying magazines and popcorn is just not worth it. Nobody really wants those magazines or popcorn but they feel like they should help so they end up spending $30 and the school only gets $10. I think a lot of people would prefer to forgo the magazines or popcorn and just give the school the $30.
I don't have kids, but I remember hating them when I was a child. Lots of pressure to perform, and it usually ends up as a popularity contest between kids in the neighborhood.

As an adult, I would rather just donate some money than buy overpriced stuff I don't want or need, but I find the door-to-door thing a lot less annoying than parents who bring order forms to work and pass them around. You want to take orders from co-workers, fine - do it at your desk, or put the order form in the break room. If I want to order something, I'll come over. Don't bring it to my workspace and hover there, looking expectant.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:42 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Donor Burn Out. I can totally see that. Seems like everywhere you go people have their hand out. Some places are really rude about it too. I don't know why cashiers get snotty about it. It's not like the money is going to them.
Yes! Sick & tired of being constantly "sold" stuff. The cashiers are snotty about it because their boss is putting pressure on them to generate sales or donations. Companies sometimes get so far out of their wheelhouse trying to push extra products to generate revenues. I have a friend who works in a more high end clothing store- they love selling clothes but now there is continued pressure to sell store credit cards & is reprimanded if not enough sold. As my friend stated to me if they wanted to work with credit they would have joined a credit card company or a bank. I told her maybe she should as she may make more money & most likely have better hours. Speaking of high pressure to perform sales just look at the Wells Fargo scam as a prime example- a business that is not a retail store acting like one and putting so much pressure on the workers they commit fraud just to hold onto their jobs another week- month etc. all so the senior execs can bring home not just a couple million but hundreds of millions. See the similarity with the school districts? Pay the teachers crap- make the kids go out & hawk junk or panhandle to participate in some activity while the administrators rake in excessive pay while at the same time mismanaging the revenues that are coming in to the extent they continually ask tax payers for increases. I realize the conversation has gotten off topic a bit and a bit deep.

So I guess this goes to my original point when people show up at your door asking for money or trying to sell something- we as a society have to put up with this constant bombardment of being sold something when out & about so at least when we are in our own homes should not have to have it show up at our front doors.

Last edited by oneslip; 10-25-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
I think this thread debunks the idea that schools should be privately funded. Its clear people (a) don't want to help fund public education and (b) that we'd never have enough money to run schools without mandatory taxes.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think this thread debunks the idea that schools should be privately funded. Its clear people (a) don't want to help fund public education and (b) that we'd never have enough money to run schools without mandatory taxes.
You may have a point- & if the current trend continues where couples are waiting later in life to have children & many making the choice to not have children- there maybe municipalities or townships in which it is for child less couples/ individuals in which there are no public schools- just a thought based on current trends. How far would your tax dollars go in that situation?

I think most are in favor of having a strong school district for no other reason than having stronger property values but are resentful when so much of our tax revenue's go for schooling and the funds are not managed properly. As mentioned I live in the highest tax district in my city and most do not have kids but are willing pay if the funds are not being wasted & budgeted properly. Why should tax payers continue to foot the bill for incompetence or worse to fund excessive compensation for that incompetence. I think the school districts just felt it was too easy to slide a tax increase on the ballot.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This all depends on your state. I live in the highest taxed state in the nation. We spend more per pupil than every other state. Last time I looked it was over $22,000 per student. There are colleges that cost less! You can buy a decent car for that amount. Again, funding isn't an issue. It's how the funds are spent.

My high school is on it's second football field in 5 years. Brand new field again. This time they're going with AstroTurf and adding an 8 lane track. What school needs a need football field every 5 years? What school actually needs a football field? There are so many academic problems that need addressing, but that's ignored. This is about football!!! You know something super important. A single kid from this school has never gone to the NFL either.

Millions wasted AGAIN on a hunk of ground when the school could buy books, computer software, etc. it's not a funding problem. It's a spending problem.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:19 AM

801 posts, read 615,118 times
I say no to everything and did from the start, so no one comes here anymore. I say no to my children too and don't send them out to others so at least there's that for anyone who might be critical. If I want popcorn, I'll make it. If I need wrapping paper, I'll go to the dollar store. Aldi has your Girl Scout cookies for $1.19-$1.89/pk and I pass those up in the store too. For the local coupon books, I'll buy 2 (one for us and one for my parents, as part of their Christmas present every year) and send the 3rd one back (we have 3 children.)

Somewhat ironically, my husband and I are both in outside sales so this confuses many people who think our kids are going to kill it, then we shut it down right away. The sticking point is that it's not worthwhile to sell things that are a poor value; it damages your reputation. Spending $14 on a tiny roll of gaudy wrapping paper is stupid. If you'd sell that, what other garbage are people going to assume you sell? To add insult to injury, most of it isn't even going to go to the cause you're "supporting" anyway. And frankly, we don't really care if the classroom parties have to be done on a budget of $35 instead of $50. I'm pretty likely to send in $20, if told it's needed for something. Or just donate something or do the work they're raising funds for anyway.

Our kids can sell things that are worthwhile because they believe in it. Door to door for a coat drive for refugees or a basic-foods campaign for a pantry. And they sell their own work... they've got the neighborhood market cornered on babysitting, raking, and lawnmowing. lol

They do not believe in selling $14 rolls of wrapping paper or a $25 pillar candle so they can have seasonal decor in the hallways or some such nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting