Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,125,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Examples:

1. Many jobs, especially in the public sector, require a driver's license. I am not talking about bus driver jobs, delivery jobs, or truck driver jobs. I am talking about jobs where driving is NOT an essential skill - I have seen this requirement for office assistants, HR personnel, and account manager listings, among others. Discrimination.

2. Retail and fast food establishments open late into the night as "convenience." These hours are only convenient to people who can drive and have their own cars. If I want to go to Taco Bell or McDonald's at 2am when the lobby is closed and I do not have a car, I cannot walk through the drive-thru and I will not be served because of "safety reasons." I am being discriminated against because I do not have a car to drive thru, even though I am still giving them business. Also, many retailers are staying open later and later. Target stores are generally open until 11pm or midnight, and many Walmart stores are open 24 hours. Not convenient hours for employees reliant on public transportation. And management does not sympathize and will require employees to have open availability even if they lack transportation. Discrimination

3. The lack of comprehensive public transit in most parts of the United States. Comprehensive defined as most areas being served throughout the day and into the night (until midnight, if not later). European and Asian countries do a much better job at this than we do, with comprehensive urban transit systems and intercity transit systems. Here in America, if there is no bus or train, better be prepared to call for an expensive cab.Discrimination.

4. On the roads, the cars are king and pedestrians and cyclists mean nothing. Streets in many areas are very wide and in some cases proper pedestrian crossings are not widely found except at major intersections. Sometimes at these wide, high-traffic intersections I have to wait several minutes to cross the street! And if I have to cross and I can't wait, I risk being ticketed for jaywalking. Discrimination.
Being a medical doctor requires you go to medical school and complete your internship and residency, not everyone gets into medical school....I guess that is discrimination too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 11:22 PM

493 posts, read 515,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Being a medical doctor requires you go to medical school and complete your internship and residency, not everyone gets into medical school....I guess that is discrimination too....

A medical degree and residency are essential qualifications for medical doctors. A driver's license is not an essential qualification for the average office worker. That is a completely different scenario.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
A medical degree and residency are essential qualifications for medical doctors. A driver's license is not an essential qualification for the average office worker. That is a completely different scenario.
If the job duties of the office worker require the worker to drive places, it is entirely the SAME situation. Point you are missing is that some jobs require some skills and not everyone will meet those skills. It is in no way, shape or form discrimination. Take another example, if you are deaf, can't hear on the phone at all even with hearing aids, and you apply for a call center job, if you can't perform the essential duties of the job, it is not discrimination that they don't hire you. Now, if they could make reasonable accommodations, say you can mostly hear in the phone but need an amplified telephone and they didn't hire you because of your hearing, that could be discrimination. Not having a drivers license is not a protected class and they can most certainly use that as a reason not to hire you if driving is a duty of the job.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
If the job duties of the office worker require the worker to drive places, it is entirely the SAME situation. Point you are missing is that some jobs require some skills and not everyone will meet those skills. It is in no way, shape or form discrimination. Take another example, if you are deaf, can't hear on the phone at all even with hearing aids, and you apply for a call center job, if you can't perform the essential duties of the job, it is not discrimination that they don't hire you. Now, if they could make reasonable accommodations, say you can mostly hear in the phone but need an amplified telephone and they didn't hire you because of your hearing, that could be discrimination. Not having a drivers license is not a protected class and they can most certainly use that as a reason not to hire you if driving is a duty of the job.
In the vast majority of these listings, the duties that require driving are unclear, if they are even listed.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
In the vast majority of these listings, the duties that require driving are unclear, if they are even listed.
So what. It still is not discrimination in any form at all.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:33 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,613,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Finishing university at age 18... that's amazing!
Passing a driver's test should be a breeze for her.

Personally, I would have her pay at least half the cost.
Not outside the US it's not.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
So what. It still is not discrimination in any form at all.
Veteran status is a protected status, and one can argue that being a veteran is a "personal choice."

Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,379,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Lots of people who live in large cities don't drive. They have jobs and live on their own or with their spouses, not with parents.
The person I was referencing does not live in a large city with public transportation available. It also does not sound as if the OP lives in a large city. The reality of living outside a city is that most places offer little in the way of public transportation.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
Can't you take her out to practice? She just likely needs some hands on to refresh, than help her study....i say push her, unless you live where driving isn;t the norm, it is necessary.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:53 PM

187 posts, read 270,839 times
Quote:
Veteran status is a protected status, and one can argue that being a veteran is a "personal choice."
Whoever would argue against Veteran being a protected status obviously hasn't heard of conscription...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting