Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,156,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Driving in a wide variety of weather conditions, plus at night, is a very important skill.

When our son got his license, 16 years ago, although he had a lot of driving experience it was almost all during the day. Literally, a few hours after he had his new driver's license he drove a friend home at night. A car ran into him and totaled our car. Luckily no one was hurt but it caused a lot of problems. It is likely/possible that if he had more experience driving at night he may have been able to avoid the accident.

Our daughter was a few years younger. By that time the state had changed it's requirements and required that everyone applying for their drivers license had a certain amount of night time driving experience (10 or 20 hours). My husband and I made sure that our daughter had experience in all types of weather, including rain and snow, plus a lot of night time driving before she got her license and was driving on her own.

Not every parent does this. I discussed this once with an acquaintance. The woman said "I would never let my daughter practice driving when it was raining or snowing. It is just too dangerous." Well, I hoped that her daughter and I were not on the same road the first time that it started raining or snowing after she had her license and had never once practiced what to do (when she had an experienced driver in the car to help her). It may have been "just too dangerous" for me and all of the other drivers on the road.
We had our kids out in the first snow we could. It scared me a bit that our daughter was having just a little too much fun practicing driving in a parking lot full of icy snow . She's a good driver though so it worked out. Our boys were, and still are, much more timid drivers and we had to pretty much force them to practice in the snow and wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,751,659 times
My third child, daughter, failed the driving test 3 times she drove well but would get so nervous for the test and I do think the first examiner was really tough. She went her first year of college survived fine without driving she did still have her permit, she decided that summer she wanted to try again, she passed no problem we gave her a used car and she drives all the time now no issues.
She'll do it when she's ready.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,793,924 times
My son turned 16 in Jan.
He has been taking the pre-test online, to practice up before taking the written test.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 PM

493 posts, read 519,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I do know of others with kids who are determined to never drive themselves. One friend has paid for the training three times for her daughter. The instructor finally told her to give up. Her daughter just didn't have the confidence to handle the responsibility of a vehicle.
What a shame that our American society inherently discriminates so much against non-driving people like this girl that unless she moves to a big city, she cannot live a full life without going behind the wheel.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:22 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,156,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
What a shame that our American society inherently discriminates so much against non-driving people like this girl that unless she moves to a big city, she cannot live a full life without going behind the wheel.
How is it discrimination???? Not everyone has the skills or disposition to drive. She can live whatever life she chooses living wherever she chooses. She just might need to hire someone to driver her places at times.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:42 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,508,084 times
I have a 40 year old cousin that has never received her driver's license, and she still lives at home with Mom and Dad and her 18 yo daughter. I suspect her daughter also does not drive. Given the lack of public transportation in her town, I have no idea how she lives. I guess Mom/Dad drive her to work and friends pick her up to go out for an evening.

Unless you want your child to be living with you at 40, loan her the $500 with the understanding that she will be responsible for paying you back once she is employed.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,129,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I have a 40 year old cousin that has never received her driver's license, and she still lives at home with Mom and Dad and her 18 yo daughter. I suspect her daughter also does not drive. Given the lack of public transportation in her town, I have no idea how she lives. I guess Mom/Dad drive her to work and friends pick her up to go out for an evening.

Unless you want your child to be living with you at 40, loan her the $500 with the understanding that she will be responsible for paying you back once she is employed.
Lots of people who live in large cities don't drive. They have jobs and live on their own or with their spouses, not with parents.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:52 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,716,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Lots of people who live in large cities don't drive. They have jobs and live on their own or with their spouses, not with parents.
She's still going to university so we dont mind if she lives at home to defray living expenses.
If her degree was in a non mobile job we wouldnt be pushing her but as an up and coming geologist chances are good she will be expected to go places where there is no public transit thus the need for a drivers license.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:31 PM

493 posts, read 519,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
How is it discrimination???? Not everyone has the skills or disposition to drive. She can live whatever life she chooses living wherever she chooses. She just might need to hire someone to driver her places at times.
Examples:

1. Many jobs, especially in the public sector, require a driver's license. I am not talking about bus driver jobs, delivery jobs, or truck driver jobs. I am talking about jobs where driving is NOT an essential skill - I have seen this requirement for office assistants, HR personnel, and account manager listings, among others. Discrimination.

2. Retail and fast food establishments open late into the night as "convenience." These hours are only convenient to people who can drive and have their own cars. If I want to go to Taco Bell or McDonald's at 2am when the lobby is closed and I do not have a car, I cannot walk through the drive-thru and I will not be served because of "safety reasons." I am being discriminated against because I do not have a car to drive thru, even though I am still giving them business. Also, many retailers are staying open later and later. Target stores are generally open until 11pm or midnight, and many Walmart stores are open 24 hours. Not convenient hours for employees reliant on public transportation. And management does not sympathize and will require employees to have open availability even if they lack transportation. Discrimination

3. The lack of comprehensive public transit in most parts of the United States. Comprehensive defined as most areas being served throughout the day and into the night (until midnight, if not later). European and Asian countries do a much better job at this than we do, with comprehensive urban transit systems and intercity transit systems. Here in America, if there is no bus or train, better be prepared to call for an expensive cab.Discrimination.

4. On the roads, the cars are king and pedestrians and cyclists mean nothing. Streets in many areas are very wide and in some cases proper pedestrian crossings are not widely found except at major intersections. Sometimes at these wide, high-traffic intersections I have to wait several minutes to cross the street! And if I have to cross and I can't wait, I risk being ticketed for jaywalking. Discrimination.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,129,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Examples:

1. Many jobs, especially in the public sector, require a driver's license. I am not talking about bus driver jobs, delivery jobs, or truck driver jobs. I am talking about jobs where driving is NOT an essential skill - I have seen this requirement for office assistants, HR personnel, and account manager listings, among others. Discrimination.

2. Retail and fast food establishments open late into the night as "convenience." These hours are only convenient to people who can drive and have their own cars. If I want to go to Taco Bell or McDonald's at 2am when the lobby is closed and I do not have a car, I cannot walk through the drive-thru and I will not be served because of "safety reasons." I am being discriminated against because I do not have a car to drive thru, even though I am still giving them business. Also, many retailers are staying open later and later. Target stores are generally open until 11pm or midnight, and many Walmart stores are open 24 hours. Not convenient hours for employees reliant on public transportation. And management does not sympathize and will require employees to have open availability even if they lack transportation. Discrimination

3. The lack of comprehensive public transit in most parts of the United States. Comprehensive defined as most areas being served throughout the day and into the night (until midnight, if not later). European and Asian countries do a much better job at this than we do, with comprehensive urban transit systems and intercity transit systems. Here in America, if there is no bus or train, better be prepared to call for an expensive cab.Discrimination.

4. On the roads, the cars are king and pedestrians and cyclists mean nothing. Streets in many areas are very wide and in some cases proper pedestrian crossings are not widely found except at major intersections. Sometimes at these wide, high-traffic intersections I have to wait several minutes to cross the street! And if I have to cross and I can't wait, I risk being ticketed for jaywalking. Discrimination.
It is a choice not to get a drivers license, so it's not discrimination, it is personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting