Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was the worst?
Easy Baake. Oven 6 20.00%
Lawn darts 13 43.33%
Energy lab 7 23.33%
Or Barbie Sky dan 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The Thingmaker!

Boomerville, USA: The ThingMaker

First, you take various bottles of colored goo. Then you pour the goo of the color(s) you desire into metal molds (of monsters, insects, flowers, etc.).

Finally, you cook the goo-filled molds on a hot plate (the goop solidified at 390F, to give you an idea of how hot) until the liquid solidifies.

Hot plates! For young children!

What could possibly go wrong... ?

[Let me guess - someone will be along to tell us shortly that kids these days just don't have enough character, in part because they have no scars from youthful hot plate burns...]
That's it! We had so much fun with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Super Elastic Bubble Plastic

Another Wham-o product. I remember seeing it sold as "Plastic Bubbles" under a different brand before the Wham-o version hit the market.

Super Elastic Bubble Plastic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is a smell I can still remember! But, we did love blowing those bubbles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:10 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
As an interesting side note on improper uses for toys. Anyone remember the
racetracks that came with 2' sections of plastic that you snapped together to
build your own hotwheels tracks? My mother repurposed those a few times when a
belt, flyswatter or switch wasn't handy

Yep. When I started babysitting (at age 12) the lady gave me a section of orange racetrack and told me to use it if the boys didn't mind me.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Anyone remember the fuzzy wuzzy bear soap. Not a toy but what made it fuzzy?

Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Anyone remember the fuzzy wuzzy bear soap. Not a toy but what made it fuzzy?
mold?

I'd never heard of it before (but know the song), but was thinking that it was probably something that starts growing when wet, like some sort of seed. But then I went and watched a commercial for it on youtube, and it said it gets fuzzy after 3 days of being left out of the packaging. So just the air makes it grow fuzz and not water? It did not look like something I would want to wash my hands with, thats for sure.

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bath Soap - YouTube

Old 07-22-2014, 04:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
I loved lawn darts. That's one thing we always took camping with us. I had clackers and had no problems with them. Those were big while my cousin was stationed in Vietnam. We sent him some and he said others got them too. The only problem was everytime they got them "clacking" good, everybody jumped for cover thinking they were being fired on.
What gets me is some of the "gun toys" that I grew up playing with. Who remembers Johnny Seven OMA
1964 JOHNNY SEVEN OMA TOY GUN COMMERCIAL - YouTube , and Sonny Six Killer Outrageous&hysterical 6th finger toy from 60's,anyone have or remember these? ? That last one was a cap gun that looked like a finger.Can you imagine all the people upset over gun toys being produced? Bring back the good days!

The only toy that really upset me? My pet rock. It ran away!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Yep. When I started babysitting (at age 12) the lady gave me a section of orange racetrack and told me to use it if the boys didn't mind me.
My mother said I kept the yard stick companies in business when I was younger. lol

Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
What gets me is some of the "gun toys" that I grew up playing with. Who remembers Johnny Seven OMA
1964 JOHNNY SEVEN OMA TOY GUN COMMERCIAL - YouTube , and Sonny Six Killer Outrageous&hysterical 6th finger toy from 60's,anyone have or remember these? ? That last one was a cap gun that looked like a finger.Can you imagine all the people upset over gun toys being produced? Bring back the good days!

One of the kids across the street from me had the Johnny Seven OMA. One of the guys in my class in school had the Sixfinger.

I had a pretty good arsenal. My favorite was the Dick Tracy Thompson SMG that fired perforated roll caps until the mechanism got jammed with black powder residue and paper fragments. Also had a very nice scaled-down M1 Garand and a very well-detailed .45 ACP that was full size. Had both versions of the U.N.C.L.E. gun (no THRUSH gun) and an Agent Zero M gun that was disguised as a camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting