Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was the worst?
Easy Baake. Oven 6 20.00%
Lawn darts 13 43.33%
Energy lab 7 23.33%
Or Barbie Sky dan 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 AM

115 posts, read 145,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
This was the first thing to come to my mind. Nothing as fun-inducing as giving a 6 y.o. an electric hot plate, steel molds to place in it, and toxic goo to bake. Then, using a thin wire clip as a handle, lift the hot molds out and put them in a tray of water to cool! Water and electricity is such a great combo for kids. I still have scars from the burns, but oh what fun I had!

BB guns, jarts, and riding a bike without as much as a thought of a helmet! And we survived!

Anybody else recall playing mumblypeg with a pocket knife?
I spit mtn dew all over my phone so funny btw anyone remember. Potty time with Elmo from 2005?

Last edited by Geomaster2004; 07-16-2014 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Spell Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,935,581 times
Looks like a pretty good idea to me, right?!?!?!?!??!!?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,060,144 times
I went in a different direction with this...

I'm not a fan of the avalanche of cheap plastic toys that come with every kid birthday party, vending machine, dollar store, pinata, etc. I throw them out at every opportunity.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I went in a different direction with this...

I'm not a fan of the avalanche of cheap plastic toys that come with every kid birthday party, vending machine, dollar store, pinata, etc. I throw them out at every opportunity.

Exactly.

They need good, well-made toys like Vise-Grips, band saws, and no-bounce hammers. A nice propane torch is useful, too.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 PM

723 posts, read 869,388 times
I'm glad I didn't have a trampoline as a kid, I'd probably be a quadraplegic by now. Those things are deathtraps.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 AM

166 posts, read 244,004 times
I'm 43 for perspective.

We lived in a very hilly subdivision and had bicycles and lots of bad ideas involving plywood and cinder blocks. Evel Knievel wore a helmet but we didn't figure we needed one. I'm amazed that I was able to have kids still.

Lawn Jarts. the ones with the heavy metal ends. Combine those with a 10 years old boys reasoning ability and you have a recipe for disaster. Combined with a 10 year olds curiosity and you have holes in the side of a house, trees or whatever else we wanted to see if we could throw them at.

Bottle rockets and BB guns. No one lost an eye but neighborhood pets were very wary.

Glass coke bottles and firecrackers. I still have all my fingers.

I remember some kind of lab chemistry kits that were sold for kids. I especially remember that it came with sulfur. My parents remember the exact moment that I figured out it will burn, inside the house of course.

Anyone remember those toy motorcycles where you put the long plastic strip in the weighted rear wheel and pulled it out really hard? It would scream across the floor and you always made it go as fast as you could. Turns out my sister never payed much attention to mine until I got the rear tire spinning at the speed of light and put it in her hair. Evel Knievel wins again.

As an interesting side note on improper uses for toys. Anyone remember the racetracks that came with 2' sections of plastic that you snapped together to build your own hotwheels tracks? My mother repurposed those a few times when a belt, flyswatter or switch wasn't handy.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:00 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,824,888 times
The Thingmaker!

Boomerville, USA: The ThingMaker

First, you take various bottles of colored goo. Then you pour the goo of the color(s) you desire into metal molds (of monsters, insects, flowers, etc.).

Finally, you cook the goo-filled molds on a hot plate (the goop solidified at 390F, to give you an idea of how hot) until the liquid solidifies.

Hot plates! For young children!

What could possibly go wrong... ?

[Let me guess - someone will be along to tell us shortly that kids these days just don't have enough character, in part because they have no scars from youthful hot plate burns...]

Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
[quote=Unsettomati;35709902]The Thingmaker!

The smell from those was unreal. Which brings us to model building and airplane glue.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
I remember the clackers,,,my sister had white ones,,,and I was a bit slow on the learning curve, so I got nailed all the time..

silly string ,,was quite combustable

wasn't there a vegan Barbie?? her hair falling out,,she looked sickly ????

there was some odd bubble blowing toy - gobbing on this awful smelling stuff at the end of a hard strawlike thing,,,blow thru and hope to blow a colorful bubble,,,

a neighborhood kid swallowed this stuff and an older brother called the poison hotline and they said to induce vomiting.... so we were all screaming and this kid,, to vomit or die..... he did get it out,,,,wouldn't have looked good on youtube....

Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there was some odd bubble blowing toy - gobbing on this awful smelling stuff at the end of a hard strawlike thing,,,blow thru and hope to blow a colorful bubble,,,

a neighborhood kid swallowed this stuff and an older brother called the poison hotline and they said to induce vomiting.... so we were all screaming and this kid,, to vomit or die..... he did get it out,,,,wouldn't have looked good on youtube....

Super Elastic Bubble Plastic

Another Wham-o product. I remember seeing it sold as "Plastic Bubbles" under a different brand before the Wham-o version hit the market.

Super Elastic Bubble Plastic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting