Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was the worst?
Easy Baake. Oven 6 20.00%
Lawn darts 13 43.33%
Energy lab 7 23.33%
Or Barbie Sky dan 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times

Advertisements

Fun thread.

Does anyone remember those kits with the molds where you would heat up a hot plate contraption, pour some stuff in, and make those rubbery toys like the little trolls and such? I won such a set and had a blast until I really burned my fingers. Of course my parents never supervised me so I could have easily burned the house down or myself up, lol. Even back then, I thought to myself...better be careful. This is a bit dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Fun thread.

Does anyone remember those kits with the molds where you would heat up a hot plate contraption, pour some stuff in, and make those rubbery toys like the little trolls and such? I won such a set and had a blast until I really burned my fingers. Of course my parents never supervised me so I could have easily burned the house down or myself up, lol. Even back then, I thought to myself...better be careful. This is a bit dangerous.

Mattel "Thingmaker"

I had one. It came with molds to make "Creepy Crawlers" (bugs and other critters). Later, I got a set of molds to make military-type items.

My friend Gerry had the Vac-u-form, which heated sheets of plastic that were vacuum-drawn over other objects to pick up their shape.

Both of them got very hot, indeed. Which was no big deal for a kid like me who had a chemistry set that included lethal chemicals, and a basement full of my father's tools (including band saw and drill press) to use. (Rules - 1. Don't drink ANY of the liquids (muriatic acid, hydrochloric acid, ruby fluid) on the shelf. 2. You can use all of the hand tools, the band saw, and the drill press. Stay away from the table saw.)

Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Just remembered - The liquid material that was heated in the "Thingmaker" was called "Plastigoop".

Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM

487 posts, read 748,564 times
Thingmaker was fiery hot! But fun!

Lawn Jarts weren't sharp - if you had a lick of sense you wouldn't be in the line of fire.

Have woodburning sets been discussed? Or those sharp edged Erector Sets?

You can get hurt with just about anything if you're stupid about it. Croquet mallets, baseball bats, etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM

115 posts, read 145,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Spanish Barbie salutes bulls' being killed? Is she dressed up like a matador?

This list was difficult to read.
Yes with the red cape.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Spanish Barbie salutes bulls' being killed? Is she dressed up like a matador?

This list was difficult to read.
Yup with the red cape

Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Who remembers those rocks you'd smash open and there's prizes in them. I FRACTURED MY FINGER WITH THE MALLET.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Anyone remember the rockets you would fill with water, pump air into it then launch it?

They were fairly safe as long as you didn't point them at your little sister, hit her in the thigh and leave a nasty bruise which resulted in being grounded for the weekend.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Anyone remember the rockets you would fill with water, pump air into it then launch it?

They were fairly safe as long as you didn't point them at your little sister, hit her in the thigh and leave a nasty bruise which resulted in being grounded for the weekend.
Yes, it would fly off in unpredictable directions.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Sillyputty- toxic

SLIME!- "NOSTALGIA POISONING"!

SLIME! MATTEL 1970'S CLASSIC TOY SLIME - YouTube

lol, i don't understand what all the fuss about the toys of the past. I mean we all turned out ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting