Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM

60 posts, read 80,974 times

Advertisements

I believe theire is a distinction as bullying usually implies an imbalance of power. Our situation does not ..... my 4th grader is a big, strong, athletic kid who gravitates towards boys with similar characteristics. It's interesting to observe each year as the boys establish who the Alpha male is when school starts in the Fall. This is normal, healthy behavior and it allows boys to get on with their friendship and daily business (from what I've read and seen). While my son is an athlete, he also has a softer side and is a genuinely great friend who has a history of sticking up for kids who may have been smaller, getting teased, etc. He recently won an award for good sportsmanship in tennis and the "hardest worker" award on his ski team. Last year his teacher awarded him with the "Glowing Example" award for setting a glowing example for his friends. Basically, he's a pretty great kid. Not perfect, obviously, but pretty great IMHO

He became very good friends with another very competitive and athletic boy last year. His mother even sent me an e-mail about what an amazing kid my son was and how happy they were to have him in their son's life.

This year, things changed. The boys were placed in the same class again, however, this time with 3 or 4 other alpha male contenders. The class list looked more like a football line up than a classroom roster. I don't know what the principal was thinking. Long story short (well, sort of) pretty much at the beginning of the school my son became quite good friends with another boy - they just hit it off and seemed to have a mutual respect. Again, a very strong personality and athlete. The boy from last year, who had been such a good friend, just seemed to completely change. He has been tormenting my son nearly every single day of this school year. Making fun of the way he dresses (Under armour is better than Nike sort of comments, Nike is for girls, etc.), how he stands, the sports he does, pushing him from behind, lying - you name it. It has been incessant and I have been hearing about it all school year long. We brought it to his teacher's attention at conferences in the fall and she wanted nothing to do with it (she suggested bringing it to the principal's attention). The teacher is another story - never have I experienced someone just doing enough to get by meeting the minimum standards to this extent. Horrendous and not fair to the kids.

My son's personality hit a low a few months back- he was grouchy, negative, quiet and not at all himself - I finally put my foot down and said I was getting involved. My son had insisted all school year that he could 'handle' it. He knew if we got involved the boy would then resort to calling mine a tattle tale - a new topic of torment. We contacted the principal (who my husband has a decent relationship with) against my son's wish's and things improved for a while, but now they're back to really bad.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Going to the parents will not help as they never admit to any wrong doing (I have many other examples but this post is getting way too long). The parents are out of control and obnoxious in sports. They volunteer to coach everything and always play their son in the most in demand positions, only root for him at games and basically treat him as if he's destined to become a pro athlete (unlikely).

We have given our son permission to basically whack the kid when the opportunity presents itself (how horrible that sounds), which he has done a few times on the playground....it may make a bit of difference but basically this kid is just in my son's ear constantly. UGH. I feel so badly that my boy is going through this and am so amazed that one little jerk can impact an entire school year in this way. Is it bullying? I don't know. I don't feel there's an imbalance of power so to speak. Is this just a kid being mean? I've told my son he needs to thicken his skin so this kid doesn't get to him so much - I mean really? Under Armour vs. Nike? Who cares! But I guess after enough of it, it gets difficult to tune out. Seems like there should be some way to make it stop. Thoughts? Advice? Sorry for being so lengthy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
We have given our son permission to basically whack the kid when the opportunity presents itself (how horrible that sounds), which he has done a few times on the playground
That would be bullying.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Not at all. you have no idea how many times this kid has taken cheap shots with zero repercussions.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That would be bullying.
If things are as the OP described, it's not bullying.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Thank you, Marlow.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:53 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
IDK... fighting violence with violence is not okay with me.
And whacking " the kid when the opportunity presents itself" - which implies whenever the mood strikes - is not how I was raised or how I raised my kids.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
The school year will be over soon and hopefully a few months' maturity and a new teacher will make a difference. You can also ask that they not be in the same classroom next year.

Other than that, I'd tell your son that some people are asses and this kid is one of them. I'd also give him permission to tell the kid the 4th-grade equivalent of ****.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
My oldest son is currently 20. When he was in 4th grade he faced a similar situation. My son has always been short, but he is also the alpha male type. When he was in 4th grade he faced a situation where a bigger boy was making fun of him for being short and basically making his life difficult.

We spoke with the teacher about the situation but she told us that she never saw what was going on between the boys. My son said that was because it usually happened when they were changing classes or otherwise in transition. I told the teacher that since she was aware of it we expected there to be some change in the near future. There was no change.

We told our son to do what he needed to do to make this boy stop. We also told him that if he got in trouble with the school he would have to face the consequences but that we would not be upset with him. He would just serve his punishment and be done with it.

Our son stood up for himself (physically). Although he is short he has always been strong and coordinated. He got in trouble with the teacher but the teacher did not report the incident to the school. This boy never bothered him again.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
Quote:
IDK... fighting violence with violence is not okay with me.
And whacking " the kid when the opportunity presents itself" - which implies whenever the mood strikes - is not how I was raised or how I raised my kids.
I think it really depends on the situation. I am not a fan of whacking the kid whenever the mood strikes. But bullies depend on their victims to be meek and afraid to fight back. So refusing to fight back keeps the person a bully. Sometimes just knowing that the victim isn't going to be a victim makes the bully back down.

I don't think violence should be the first answer, but sometimes after you have tried other things violence works.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
IDK... which implies whenever the mood strikes .
Does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting