Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,527,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
Kitkatbar I understand your concerns and see your point. However, your message appears to be that verbal bullying is OK and with that I wholeheartedly disagree. If this were just about brand names I wouldn't have posted.
No, that's not what I'm saying, however I will make a point to tell you I think you're choosing ways of dealing with it that flip flop between too uninvolved or a huge overreaction. If someone is "tormenting" your son, you need to be placing a call to the teacher every day. You need to email the principal every day, describing exactly what's going on with time, date and incident. If you aren't taking those steps, clearly you don't see it as enough of a problem.

Then you flip flop to the other extreme. Telling your son to hit a kid running a dumb mouth is a huge overreaction. It's one that will likely get your kid suspended. It will be on his permanent school record. It will be seen by every teacher and administrator who has him in the future. If he's big enough to do damage (which he likely will be soon if he isn't already) he can get assault charges. Condoning physical violence skips all the steps in between that you/he could be doing to get him to stop. "Shut up man, get a life," and then turning away often works. Going to hang out with someone else often works. Having the principal sit you down and inform you you're going to be in hot water if it happens again often works.

Personally, I fear you haven't taken these steps because you care too much about the "image" of your son being the top alpha male in the class. You go so far as to question "what the principal was thinking" in having multiple contenders for "alpha male" in your son's class--placing a little too much importance on the social food chain IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:45 PM

22,920 posts, read 48,330,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying, however I will make a point to tell you I think you're choosing ways of dealing with it that flip flop between too uninvolved or a huge overreaction. If someone is "tormenting" your son, you need to be placing a call to the teacher every day. You need to email the principal every day, describing exactly what's going on with time, date and incident. If you aren't taking those steps, clearly you don't see it as enough of a problem.

Then you flip flop to the other extreme. Telling your son to hit a kid running a dumb mouth is a huge overreaction. It's one that will likely get your kid suspended. It will be on his permanent school record. It will be seen by every teacher and administrator who has him in the future. If he's big enough to do damage (which he likely will be soon if he isn't already) he can get assault charges. Condoning physical violence skips all the steps in between that you/he could be doing to get him to stop. "Shut up man, get a life," and then turning away often works. Going to hang out with someone else often works. Having the principal sit you down and inform you you're going to be in hot water if it happens again often works.

Personally, I fear you haven't taken these steps because you care too much about the "image" of your son being the top alpha male in the class. You go so far as to question "what the principal was thinking" in having multiple contenders for "alpha male" in your son's class--placing a little too much importance on the social food chain IMHO.

Great post!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,067,385 times
A lot of schools have zero tolerance policies for violence these days. If a kid hits someone they are automatically expelled. It happened to a kid in my high school and that was 20 years ago. It might sound like overkill but it's how real life works. If you punch someone on the job, you are automatically fired and charged with a crime. It's always bad advice to tell your kid to hit someone.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,959,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Good morning ladies,
Having grown up in the school system and the playground as well as being a four year Varsity starter in High school and later on in College, I personally know a thing or two about the locker room and the hall ways, I might add, both of my children (boy and girl) we're both MVP's and team Captains in two Varsity sports in High School and both moved on and we're Division 1 athletes and both have found their way, one as a senior consultant and staff writer for McGraw hill and the other as an officer with the United States Government and the LE community.

OP,
I have always raised my children on a couple of key points and a few facts of life. Never ever allow anyone to verbally abuse you or physically place a hand on you, "NEVER". After following normal channels when bullying or verbal/physical abuse was involved in school or the neighborhood, the rules are simple, Knock the snot out of anyone who places a hand on you. You can't always walk away, you just can't, but every time the abuse starts, throw the punch, and I mean throw the punch and knock the snot out of any little jackass until the verbal or physical ABUSE stops, and it will after time. Teachers mean well but they don't see it like a lunch room aid might, you can't always rely on support staff, sometimes it comes down to the kids, it doesn't have to be scary, because boys and girls will be boys and girls.

Teach you're kids well on the art of standing up for not only themselves but for OTHERS or face the alternative of having your kids living in fear throughout their school days?

*SIDE NOTE* We always stayed as far away from the field or ice during sporting events as we could to avoid the crazies and the questions like, who trained you're son to be so fast? we would answer, not us, he learned from watching the NY Rangers and skating everyday, lol.

Like I said, the rules are simple.

Thank you ladies, and Happy Mothers Day

Knight

I hoped someone wasn't wearing a PC T-shirt. My pop raised us the same way.
It's never going to be pretty so why prolong it? You can let the a-hole run his mouth forever and it only gets worse, especially if the a-hole gets a crowd to amuse. Pop him in the chops and shut him down. Those people aren't ready for that reaction and aren't ready for a fight. I was always a larger kid than most so I didn't have to put up with much but i remember having to wail on kids at the bus stops. I also remember seeing the kids who never stood up for themselves as the perpetual target. Once it was know the kid was a pushover it was on.
I have run across the same as an adult. The kids who were bullies continued on into their adult lives and people never stopped them.

Most cops are bullies.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,888,366 times
Quote:
Good morning ladies,
Having grown up in the school system and the playground as well as being a four year Varsity starter in High school and later on in College, I personally know a thing or two about the locker room and the hall ways, I might add, both of my children (boy and girl) we're both MVP's and team Captains in two Varsity sports in High School and both moved on and we're Division 1 athletes and both have found their way, one as a senior consultant and staff writer for McGraw hill and the other as an officer with the United States Government and the LE community.

OP,
I have always raised my children on a couple of key points and a few facts of life. Never ever allow anyone to verbally abuse you or physically place a hand on you, "NEVER". After following normal channels when bullying or verbal/physical abuse was involved in school or the neighborhood, the rules are simple, Knock the snot out of anyone who places a hand on you. You can't always walk away, you just can't, but every time the abuse starts, throw the punch, and I mean throw the punch and knock the snot out of any little jackass until the verbal or physical ABUSE stops, and it will after time. Teachers mean well but they don't see it like a lunch room aid might, you can't always rely on support staff, sometimes it comes down to the kids, it doesn't have to be scary, because boys and girls will be boys and girls.

Teach you're kids well on the art of standing up for not only themselves but for OTHERS or face the alternative of having your kids living in fear throughout their school days?

*SIDE NOTE* We always stayed as far away from the field or ice during sporting events as we could to avoid the crazies and the questions like, who trained you're son to be so fast? we would answer, not us, he learned from watching the NY Rangers and skating everyday, lol.

Knight
This man gets it.

The "Law of the Playground" still exists, in spite of a very concerted effort on the parts of schools to try to do away with it. The sooner your young sons learn these realities, and learn to take steps to deal with them, the better off they will be.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 PM

5,227 posts, read 4,725,594 times
Quote:
Good morning ladies,

OP,

Knight
This is one way and I guess since a lot of you guys are raising these "alpha" kids, knocking out the other kid seems like the best solution. What if you are completely outmatched or get beat up in the process? I rather teach my kid to be smart in every situation. I doubt using physical violence is always the solution. I will be sure to point out to my kid that the leaders in our world, now and historically have not always been the strongest but they are inevitably always smart.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,888,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This is one way and I guess since a lot of you guys are raising these "alpha" kids, knocking out the other kid seems like the best solution. What if you are completely outmatched or get beat up in the process? I rather teach my kid to be smart in every situation. I doubt using physical violence is always the solution. I will be sure to point out to my kid that the leaders in our world, now and historically have not always been the strongest but they are inevitably always smart.
Being smart is great.

But believing that smart and tough are necessarily mutually exclusive is just silly. Sometimes you need to defend yourself physically.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,392,812 times
Honestly, based on what you've told us, I think the kid is acting out against your son because he probably feels slighted/rejected after your son made fast friends with someone new this year, leaving the other boy sidelined.

Now, how he's dealing with his hurt isn't healthy or right, and that needs to be addressed, but maybe looking for the root cause as to why this boy 'suddenly turned mean,' might help a great deal more than trying to treat the symptoms. Just a thought.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 PM

60 posts, read 81,568 times
Thank you to everyone - it's been interesting to read the reactions to the topic. For the record, the school is very well regarded, although the playground is horribly supervised (thankfully the supervisor in charge knows my son after 4 years and knows that, while he's a big personality out there, he's not a trouble maker). For the record, my son's clothing is actually more expensive than the "bully's" so it's not a socio-economic battle it's just the kid looking for anything to attack. I do believe the bully is hurt in some way- aren't most? I think he feels left out and have constantly encouraged my son to ignore, laugh off, etc etc this kids remarks, which he has attempted to do day after day ......

And to the poster who believes I am approaching the situation from extremes....too much too little, you are absolutely wrong. Describing everything we have done to try to remedy this would not be appropriate in this type if forum, but thanks for your strong, accusatory yet unsubstantiated opinion.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,583,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famrelo View Post
For the record, my son's clothing is actually more expensive than the "bully's" so it's not a socio-economic battle it's just the kid looking for anything to attack.

And to the poster who believes I am approaching the situation from extremes....too much too little, you are absolutely wrong. Describing everything we have done to try to remedy this would not be appropriate in this type if forum, but thanks for your strong, accusatory yet unsubstantiated opinion.
Everything you talk about here is about power and how much better your kid is than the other one. I think your attitude is what is wrong here. Your kid isn't better than anybody.

But you don't want to hear that; you are never in the wrong, I'm sure.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-20-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting