Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Anyone making less than 185% of the U.S.Poverty Income Guidelines would be considered at nutritional risk.
Not true.

West Virginia's website makes that even more clear by stating that applicants must meet all three criteria----category, income AND nutritional risk. Nutritional risk is clearly defined and says nothing about income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,621,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's West Virginia's:

3. Nutrition Risk

Nutrition risk is any medical or health problem which can be corrected or lessened by proper amounts and types of food intake. Examples of nutrition risk are:
◾Low iron levels
◾Insufficient growth, i.e. low weight for age, low weight for height
◾Premature delivery
◾Inadequate dietary intake (types or amounts of food)

Eligibility Requirements
Again those are examples. I have never once heard of anyone who meets the income requirements being turned away from WIC. WIC provides formula to the baby, and the baby will die without formula. That's a risk.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,803,580 times
I don't care what any website says about medical qualification for WIC. EVERY pregnant woman, and EVERY child under the age of 5, who qualifies financially, gets WIC if they apply for it. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I will definitely have her check the frugality forum. That sounds like a great idea for her to plan on living on a budget.

I'd love for them to do this without assistance. I'd love to see them simply work hard and make it work. It's not going to be easy.
You should check the Work and Employment forum if you want a glimpse of what the job market is REALLY like these days, especially if you're actually thinking they're going to strike out successfully on their own.

She shares a room with her little sister. I'm betting she has never managed a budget of her own, and she could not even manage her own BC pills.

How do you think she is REALLY going to do this??

Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I don't care what any website says about medical qualification for WIC. EVERY pregnant woman, and EVERY child under the age of 5, who qualifies financially, gets WIC if they apply for it. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
That's what I've heard too.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Again those are examples. I have never once heard of anyone who meets the income requirements being turned away from WIC. WIC provides formula to the baby, and the baby will die without formula. That's a risk.
Unless you are speaking for yourself, you can't truly know how these people qualified. You and they might not even be aware of how you/they qualified themselves. It's a one time thing at the very beginning. The income qualification is ongoing throughout receiving WIC.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
That's not true. Then again, you're in a very liberal state. What really matters if how it works in NJ.

NEW JERSEY | WIC

Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Unless you are speaking for yourself, you can't truly know how these people qualified. You and they might not even be aware of how you/they qualified themselves. It's a one time thing at the very beginning. The income qualification is ongoing throughout receiving WIC.
You'll never win this one. I know exactly how they qualified, and I know who all of the people who are in the military have family members who qualify. There is no way you will convince me otherwise. Do you know someone who was turned down because I've never met anyone who has been denied for any reason other than income. I can promise you there are no medical exams other than height and weight.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,285,731 times
Quote:
Yep.

I'd bet that OP's daughter will have NO PROBLEM qualifying for WIC if she's on her own financially (or even living in poverty with her boyfriend). She should go the the local WIC clinic and they'll approve her under dietary-related "nutritional risk" for not being able to afford healthy fruits and veggies and baby formula.

WIC isn't an obscure program - it's a basic part of the social safety net for low-income pregnant women and mothers. It's generally regarded as more generous than food stamps.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,433,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Some of you have gotten the impression that I think I raised an irresponsible child. Well you are spot on. I do think that.

As I said before. My own mom was 19 when she had me. I did not have a good life and suffered a lot as a result. I tried to do everything differently than my own mother did. I raised my kids with this: do nothing my mom did and everything she didn't. Somehow that hasn't worked either. I never had my head in the sand. I got her bc two years ago to try and avoid this. We went to the doc together and discussed the options. Her and the doc decided that the pill was her best option.

After sleeping on this for two nights now, I am going to talk with them tomorrow and spell out their options. This is their decision and their battle. I can only be there for emotional support. That is it and I will be clear.

I am positively heartbroken over this.

I feel like she is my mom all over again. My mom resented me. I can't tell you how many times I heard how I ruined her life or was shown her c section scar and told that I did that to her.

I don't have the luxury of being able to stay home with the baby while they work or go to school. I have to work full time. This is what they will have to figure out.

This is their life. Not mine. They will have to live with their choices. I will be sure that baby doesn't suffer. I could never allow that. It didn't ask to be brought into the world.
A pregnancy of a 19 year old is hardly something to be heartbroken over. Now if she had killed someone, that would be another story. The pregnancy is just a sign that it is time for her to leave the nest and set up her own household in which to raise her child, preferably a household that includes the father as they should get married. If they don't marry she may be forced into poverty and that wouldn't be good. If the marriage doesn't work out, at least they tried to do the best thing for their child. But there is no reason for her to expect you to financially support her and her child(ren).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting