Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,270,349 times

Advertisements

Waitress Gives Mom Free Pizza For Breastfeeding (PHOTO)

I know this is a debated topic. Independent of where I fall on the issue I do like to see women supporting women for whatever cause they believe in.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,251,842 times
I am very passionate about breastfeeding. But I believe 'lactivism' is just about equality and respect - equality and respect to be given the same peace and freedom as any feeding child (bottle or boob). Not to be treated better than any other. It's about being 'normal' not 'special' for just doing as we should do. I do not agree with giving free food just because she is breastfeeding. I understand people can give free pizza for whatever they want, but if you wouldn't give a woman a pizza for giving her baby a bottle, then not a breastfeeder either.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,783,281 times
good for her

Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM

563 posts, read 1,502,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I am very passionate about breastfeeding. But I believe 'lactivism' is just about equality and respect - equality and respect to be given the same peace and freedom as any feeding child (bottle or boob). Not to be treated better than any other. It's about being 'normal' not 'special' for just doing as we should do. I do not agree with giving free food just because she is breastfeeding. I understand people can give free pizza for whatever they want, but if you wouldn't give a woman a pizza for giving her baby a bottle, then not a breastfeeder either.
I disagree with your last statement. People tend to not bat an eye, for better or worse, when someone bottle feeds. But breastfeeders get all kinds of negativity, so I think it's great that someone counteracted the negativity with something positive and encouraging. I believe the mother was quoted something along the lines of getting plenty of negative comments through her many breastfeeding journeys and had not had something positive like this happen to her before. I think breastfeeding does deserve a pat on the back.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,251,842 times
But I feel the ultimate goal is just to make feeding normal. I don't want negative comments, I don't want a 'pat on the back', I wish to just do what I need to do and let the world revolve on it's own around me.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,270,349 times
Quote:
But I feel the ultimate goal is just to make feeding normal. I don't want negative comments, I don't want a 'pat on the back', I wish to just do what I need to do and let the world revolve on it's own around me.
I hear you. Unfortunately, it's not normal in our society, which is too bad.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,613,641 times
I'll never forget my oldest was a few weeks old and we were in a restaurant at lunch time. I was still a little unsure of myself, and was trying to be as discreet as possible while breastfeeding. After lunch a much older lady passed us on her way out of the restaurant, she stopped and said "Good for you doing what is best for your baby. I wish I had had the courage to do that when mine were babies. Keep it up!" It was empowering, and kind.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,502,216 times
Quote:

I do agree with that. It should be normal. But as long as it is something that is looked at as negatively as it currently is, I think it's great to support each other and give some form of a thumbs up.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,400,595 times
I am very pro breastfeeding, and believe that we need to support women who choose to nurse their children, and not make them feel uncomfortable for feeding their children in public.

Quote:
I understand people can give free pizza for whatever they want, but if you wouldn't give a woman a pizza for giving her baby a bottle, then not a breastfeeder either.
The point is that women who bottle feed, don't need to be encouraged, because no one is going to try to kick a women out of a restaurant or store or public area because she is bottle feeding her baby. Nursing on the other hand...there is this side of things with nursing mothers in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
.....But breastfeeders get all kinds of negativity, so I think it's great that someone counteracted the negativity with something positive and encouraging. I believe the mother was quoted something along the lines of getting plenty of negative comments through her many breastfeeding journeys and had not had something positive like this happen to her before. I think breastfeeding does deserve a pat on the back.
Quote:
I dunno, I think we SHOULD give women a pat on the back for being comfortable enough to nurse their babies in public should they be out and have a hungry baby. It does not mean the world is revolving around someone. I agree in some respect, but unfortunately, it is not seen as normal, and I know a lot of women are really tentative about nursing in public. Maybe a woman who is encouraged was really nervous about it, and the positive pat on the back made her realize it was not so scary, and gives her confidence to know she is not doing anything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'll never forget my oldest was a few weeks old and we were in a restaurant at lunch time. I was still a little unsure of myself, and was trying to be as discreet as possible while breastfeeding. After lunch a much older lady passed us on her way out of the restaurant, she stopped and said "Good for you doing what is best for your baby. I wish I had had the courage to do that when mine were babies. Keep it up!" It was empowering, and kind.
Something similar happened to me when my oldest daughter was about 6 months old. my husband and I went to dinner, and I nursed my daughter as discreetly as I could while I ate. Toward the end of our dinner an older couple was leavjng and walked to our table. I was so afraid they were going to say something negative to me, but the women smiled and said they had been watching me, and were amazed at how I was able to feed my baby and myself at the same time, and how wonderful it was that I was nursing my baby.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,285,866 times
That was really nice of the waitress. I think its important to support breastfeeding mothers, many of them feel really insecure and nervous about feeding in public so someone doing or saying something nice to them can make a real difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting