Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,807,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My oldest son, who I did not nurse, has found me nursing to be very strange and curious. He is always curious, looking, pointing. I just go about my business, nursing his brother, to teach him that it is just a normal act between mother and baby. If only all little boys were raised that way hmm...
People are curious about what they do not understand. Its "normal" for children to be curious about breastfeeding. Just ignoring their curiosity does nothing to teach them about what breastfeeding is.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,398,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have seen it. I've seen a woman dripping milk onto a restaurant table --- she was that obvious about breast feeding, no discreet blanket or towel covering anything. Another time I saw a woman one time walking through a store with bare chest and baby nursing at one breast as she walked, so yes, if you are out in public and you know a woman is breast feeding, she's making a display of it, otherwise no one even knows she is, it can be that discreet. That poster didn't say the woman has erotic sexual thoughts - he and others might though.
I call b.s. on both of those stories.

And what I meant was, even though some. Women are not completely covered up when nursing in public I assure you the last thing they are thinking is how sexy they are looking and hope they are turning g random men on. Just because some sicko is not able to find nursing non sexual does not mean a nursing no is not covered up enough.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,278,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I call b.s. on both of those stories.

And what I meant was, even though some. Women are not completely covered up when nursing in public I assure you the last thing they are thinking is how sexy they are looking and hope they are turning g random men on. Just because some sicko is not able to find nursing non sexual does not mean a nursing no is not covered up enough.
Me too.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:35 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,249,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sorry but just ignoring negative reactions changes nothing. For years, blacks just ignored the behavior of racists and there was no real change until people stood up, loud and proud, and made demands to be treated fairly during the civil rights movement.

People do not change their behavior until they are confronted, it is human nature.
Well, breastfeeding in public is already legal. If I recall, Rosa Parks just wanted to sit on the bus on her way home. She didn't expect special treatment, she just wanted to be treated like anyone else.

There are two camps of lactivists~ the ones who want to host nurse-ins, stage protests with signs, and have mommy milking blogs. The other camp (which I am in, although I respect the other side) is those who just go about nursing in a normal sense without expecting any sort of additional attention or treatment.

Quote:
People are curious about what they do not understand. Its "normal" for children to be curious about breastfeeding. Just ignoring their curiosity does nothing to teach them about what breastfeeding is.
Are you criticizing for me just nursing in front of my son and not actually explaining to him in-depth about what I was doing? "He's eating" is good enough for a barely 3 year old.

And now well over a dozen reputation(s) from my original post. Which I suppose confirms to me that I am saying what many are thinking, perhaps too nervous to speak out.

Equality is equality. Just want equality, that's all.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,807,530 times
Quote:
Well, breastfeeding in public is already legal. If I recall, Rosa Parks just wanted to sit on the bus on her way home. She didn't expect special treatment, she just wanted to be treated like anyone else.
If you think the civil rights movement was about a seat on the bus I don't know what to tell you.

And expecting to be able to sit in a restaurant and feed a baby is NOT SPECIAL TREATMENT. As a matter of fact, I have never seen a breastfeeding mom ask for special treatment. They are not asking for breastfeeding only restaurants, or special tables. They are just asking to be treated like everyone else.

And while breastfeeding is not illegal in public (which btw is not universal as you seem to imply, only 45 states implicitly grant this right), maybe you are also unaware that restaurants, stores, etc. tend to be privately owned. Fighting to be treated like every other patron is no different than those who fought to be allowed to eat wherever, sit wherever, in privately owned establishments during the civil rights movement.

Breastfeeding State Laws

Quote:
There are two camps of lactivists~ the ones who want to host nurse-ins, stage protests with signs, and have mommy milking blogs. The other camp (which I am in, although I respect the other side) is those who just go about nursing in a normal sense without expecting any sort of additional attention or treatment.
What is wrong with a nurse in? They are not asking for special treatment. Saying it over and over doesn't make it a fact. You have yet to show in anyway there is a movement of nursing mothers who want SPECIAL TREATMENT.

Quote:
Are you criticizing for me just nursing in front of my son and not actually explaining to him in-depth about what I was doing? "He's eating" is good enough for a barely 3 year old.

And now well over a dozen reputation(s) from my original post. Which I suppose confirms to me that I am saying what many are thinking, perhaps too nervous to speak out.

Equality is equality. Just want equality, that's all.
You have yet to show how anyone is asking for special treatment. What special treatment? Who is asking for it? Maybe give a link. Geez, anything besides just stating it over and over.

And as for rep points, brag all you like, it means nothing because women have the right to feed their babies even if it makes someone uncomfortable. You and the rest of you rep buddies can go feed your kids in the bathroom if you like, but the rest of us do not have to accept that at all.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,942,433 times
Quote:
We can treat breast feeding as being normalized when it actually has been.
I agree with this. The end goal is for breastfeeding to be normalized. But right now, it's not in the US. Women still get kicked out of restaurants and YMCAs and other locations where they were otherwise authorized to be as a member of the public. And if they aren't kicked out, then they are asked to stop nursing, or to nurse in the bathroom, or to cover up in some way, etc. And because that still happens with some regularity, many women are pretty nervous about nursing in public, especially new mothers. So a pat on the back can counter the negativity, and help the mom to feel more comfortable. And the more that moms feel comfortable, the closer we get to normalization. We just aren't there yet.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,766,135 times
Now I realize part of it may have been the time period as my kids are older, but I formula fed one (after 4 months) and breastfed the other (for years) -- I never ever got any kind of comment against formula feeding. Not to my face. I am sure there were people who were tsk tsk-ing to themselves about it but I never got any dirty look or comment about the bottle feeding. Breastfeeding was what drew out the folks who actually had the nerve to say something negative. That's why I applaud the pizza treat on the waitress' behalf. It's just an attempt to counter the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute
I have seen it. I've seen a woman dripping milk onto a restaurant table --- she was that obvious about breast feeding, no discreet blanket or towel covering anything. Another time I saw a woman one time walking through a store with bare chest and baby nursing at one breast as she walked, so yes, if you are out in public and you know a woman is breast feeding, she's making a display of it, otherwise no one even knows she is, it can be that discreet. That poster didn't say the woman has erotic sexual thoughts - he and others might though
I call BS too .

Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,321,449 times
Quote:
I am very passionate about breastfeeding. But I believe 'lactivism' is just about equality and respect - equality and respect to be given the same peace and freedom as any feeding child (bottle or boob). Not to be treated better than any other. It's about being 'normal' not 'special' for just doing as we should do. I do not agree with giving free food just because she is breastfeeding. I understand people can give free pizza for whatever they want, but if you wouldn't give a woman a pizza for giving her baby a bottle, then not a breastfeeder either.
You missed the whole point. But, it is your opinion. I applaud the waitress.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have one of those covers that I wear around my neck. It's a PIA because I can't see if she's latched on correctly. I've experienced cracked and bruised nipples early on so it's a concern. Even with the cover I find a more private space like my car, which is just stupid especially in this heat. I need to get over my worries about what strangers may think.
I always found that a loose tshirt top was easy. Also, usually I had a light weight recieving type blanket that I would put over my shoulder.
I never had any concerns, I just nursed where ever...Of course that was in the 80's and people were reinvigorated about nursing, so I did not experience negativity, at least not to my face.
I nursed 4 sons. I was vocal about what I was doing to the older kids....it wasn't made into a "thing" Afterall that is the only reason we have breasts...
Just ignore those folks that have anything to say that is negative. It really isn't their business, and the most important thing is you are doing something wonderful for your baby. Concentrate on that.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Hope the mother is eating healthy since what she eats is passed to the baby. The real problem with the breastfeeding and the lack of support is because some of the mothers display their breast, to my son's delight, and are not discreet. I don't care to look at someone's breast while I am eating and sorry if my son stares but that should be a hint to put it away. I don't see a reason to reward someone for nursing their baby especially with free pizza!
So, don't look. I eat out, and almost never notice someone else unless I make a point of it. Your son is gonna follow your lead. If the normal thing like nursing is seen as "obscene" by you, than that is the opinion your son will have. If he is old enough to understand that the woman is breasfeeding, then he is old enough for you to explain she is feeding her baby..."Like I fed you"...or maybe you didn't.
Regardless, telling a child what is going on, then going back to your family moment, rather than expressing disgust is better for your child. He will have a healthier attitude as a result.
If he is older, than of course correct him for staring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting