Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,396,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm sure many will not agree with me although I did get 9 reputation comments agreeing - I wonder if my opinion is shared but people are afraid to voice it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand nursing is hard - I formula fed my 1st for medical reasons and I am currently nursing right now (9 months). I got a lot of nasty comments for formula feeding in public (... they get it too ...). I hated formula feeding. I (personally) think nursing should just be treated as normal feeding without any glorification and that formula should be used as a last ditch medical resort, that's all.

This is a very debated topic amongst nursers, I know, and there are generally two camps - "celebrate" and "normalize". One thing that you will notice in high % nursing countries is that it is normalized, not "loud and proud" ~ and some places, like Norway, were just like the USA back in the 70s, with formula being the norm. Of course, that cannot be compared as maternity leave rates in the USA make a nursing relationship less desireable for many women, as well as the promotion of formula (which is done in a way that is illegal in many countries).

I don't know what the 'right' path is, I just think the norm should be norm, and that one could just feed a baby without anyone batting an eye. I don't care if you drink a Starbucks, why do you care that my son is eating?
I agree, in part, that formula feeding moms get criticism in public, but for different reasons. Formula feeding moms get the criticism for not nursing,like they are somehow failing their babies. I

I don't see the culture in the US in the majority of cases being loud and proud. I really don't see this as the dominant culture here.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,247,171 times
Correct, most women are not loud and proud - but those who are, garner the most attention. If that's what they wish to do then go right ahead, I'm just not sure it's the 'right' way.

People will always be offended - I (personally) feel the easiest way to shut up the 'offended ones' is just to go about my daily life as my legal right to do so. People who 'hate' on nursing IMO feel that way because it is not normal to them. So, I prefer to just remain calm and normal and do what I need to do - and part of that is to not accept any special treatment.

Change always takes time, but what is the right way to do it?

If I am wrong, and the other way is the way to change things, then I would happily support that. We all have the same goal here (except for the mother who apparently hasn't taught her son manners ) right?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,249,627 times
I don't see how people know if formula is being fed in the bottle. Plenty of moms pump and use a bottle.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,247,171 times
My oldest son, who I did not nurse, has found me nursing to be very strange and curious. He is always curious, looking, pointing. I just go about my business, nursing his brother, to teach him that it is just a normal act between mother and baby. If only all little boys were raised that way hmm...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,249,627 times
Quote:
Correct, most women are not loud and proud - but those who are, garner the most attention. If that's what they wish to do then go right ahead, I'm just not sure it's the 'right' way.

People will always be offended - I (personally) feel the easiest way to shut up the 'offended ones' is just to go about my daily life as my legal right to do so. People who 'hate' on nursing IMO feel that way because it is not normal to them. So, I prefer to just remain calm and normal and do what I need to do - and part of that is to not accept any special treatment.

If I am wrong, and the other way is the way to change things, then I would happily support that. We all have the same goal here (except for the mother who apparently hasn't taught her son manners ) right?
I don't think the mom in the OP story expected anything. Besides that it made it to a news source, it would otherwise be a low key event like the other stories shared here.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
When I see a woman breast feeding in public, my only thought is "Where does the line start?"
The thing is, women can and always have been so discreet about breast feeding in public -- they didn't make it into a public scene, so I suspect the women that make sure you can see it want a response like yours. It's not longer about mother and baby, it's about making a very public display.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,396,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The thing is, women can and always have been so discreet about breast feeding in public -- they didn't make it into a public scene, so I suspect the women that make sure you can see it want a response like yours. It's not longer about mother and baby, it's about making a very public display.
really? I have never seen a woman being intentionally obvious about nursing their babies.and the idea that women nursing in public are eager to bring on perverted comments such as those of the pp is ludicrous. I have a a very hard time believing any women having erotic sexual thoughts while nursing

Old 07-21-2013, 02:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
really? I have never seen a woman being intentionally obvious about nursing their babies.and the idea that women nursing in public are eager to bring on perverted comments such as those of the pp is ludicrous. I have a a very hard time believing any women having erotic sexual thoughts while nursing
I have seen it. I've seen a woman dripping milk onto a restaurant table --- she was that obvious about breast feeding, no discreet blanket or towel covering anything. Another time I saw a woman one time walking through a store with bare chest and baby nursing at one breast as she walked, so yes, if you are out in public and you know a woman is breast feeding, she's making a display of it, otherwise no one even knows she is, it can be that discreet. That poster didn't say the woman has erotic sexual thoughts - he and others might though.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,799,970 times
Quote:

Sorry but just ignoring negative reactions changes nothing. For years, blacks just ignored the behavior of racists and there was no real change until people stood up, loud and proud, and made demands to be treated fairly during the civil rights movement.

People do not change their behavior until they are confronted, it is human nature.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,799,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have seen it. I've seen a woman dripping milk onto a restaurant table --- she was that obvious about breast feeding, no discreet blanket or towel covering anything. Another time I saw a woman one time walking through a store with bare chest and baby nursing at one breast as she walked, so yes, if you are out in public and you know a woman is breast feeding, she's making a display of it, otherwise no one even knows she is, it can be that discreet. That poster didn't say the woman has erotic sexual thoughts - he and others might though.
I have never seen such a thing either. Even in the liberal, hot bed of nursing nazis the northeast.

And yes, I see mothers breastfeeding all the time. You see a babys head, and a few inches of breast. Sometimes you might even see a nipple when the child is latching on. The horror!!

I seriously doubt there are hordes of people routinely walking through stores topless just to breast feed. I call bologna. Aside from the ridiculous nature it would just be plain old uncomfortable. Most nursing moms I knew, even the nursing nazis, rarely nursed without a nursing bra or at least a cami due to comfort issues.

But I am sorry that you ran into two people who made you think the rest of us need to be invisible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting