Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 AM

25,994 posts, read 22,187,436 times

Advertisements

Hope the mother is eating healthy since what she eats is passed to the baby. The real problem with the breastfeeding and the lack of support is because some of the mothers display their breast, to my son's delight, and are not discreet. I don't care to look at someone's breast while I am eating and sorry if my son stares but that should be a hint to put it away. I don't see a reason to reward someone for nursing their baby especially with free pizza!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,125,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
But I feel the ultimate goal is just to make feeding normal. I don't want negative comments, I don't want a 'pat on the back', I wish to just do what I need to do and let the world revolve on it's own around me.
Breastfeeding was very hard for me. I would have taken, and will give, all the pats on the back I can.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Hope the mother is eating healthy since what she eats is passed to the baby. The real problem with the breastfeeding and the lack of support is because some of the mothers display their breast, to my son's delight, and are not discreet. I don't care to look at someone's breast while I am eating and sorry if my son stares but that should be a hint to put it away. I don't see a reason to reward someone for nursing their baby especially with free pizza!
Having a pizza once in awhile is not going to contaminate breast milk unless baby has sensitivity to dairy. And I don't think it's a bad thing for your son to stare. He's a kid and he can learn something while you perhaps explain in greater detail what is happening. It can be an opportunity for a lesson in human physiology.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Breastfeeding was very hard for me. I would have taken, and will give, all the pats on the back I can.
I have one of those covers that I wear around my neck. It's a PIA because I can't see if she's latched on correctly. I've experienced cracked and bruised nipples early on so it's a concern. Even with the cover I find a more private space like my car, which is just stupid especially in this heat. I need to get over my worries about what strangers may think.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Having a pizza once in awhile is not going to contaminate breast milk unless baby has sensitivity to dairy. And I don't think it's a bad thing for your son to stare. He's a kid and he can learn something while you perhaps explain in greater detail what is happening. It can be an opportunity for a lesson in human physiology.
I was thinking it was a good opportunity to teach the son manners. Staring at people is rude. If he is curious, explain what is happening ("Yes, that mama is feeding her baby. Now let's decide what we'll be having...") then redirect his attention to where it ought to be. It's not that difficult.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,582,475 times
Quote:
I have one of those covers that I wear around my neck. It's a PIA because I can't see if she's latched on correctly. I've experienced cracked and bruised nipples early on so it's a concern. Even with the cover I find a more private space like my car, which is just stupid especially in this heat. I need to get over my worries about what strangers may think.
Those covers never worked for me, and my youngest would swat away anything over her head. The majority of the time the baby's head obscures views of the breast. Go for it, it does get easier, and ultimately your outings will be more pleasant if baby is happy and less stressed.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,582,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Women are not "displaying their breasts", they are feeding a baby. If you don't care to see their breasts, then don't look. And spare me the "whipping it out" scenario, because that's just doesn't happen in the real world. Most moms are nervous and shy about public breastfeeding thanks to comments such as this, they try to be as discreet as possible.

"Son isn't the human body incredible that it can provide food for it's offspring? Now let's be respectful and give them privacy by not staring".

Last edited by Zimbochick; 07-20-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I was thinking it was a good opportunity to teach the son manners. Staring at people is rude. If he is curious, explain what is happening ("Yes, that mama is feeding her baby. Now let's decide what we'll be having...") then redirect his attention to where it ought to be. It's not that difficult.
Agreed. You're right.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
I don't think breastfeeding should be a "cause." I no more think that a woman should be praised for doing it in public, than she should criticized for doing it in public. It would be nice if people could just mind their own business. But you hear so many stories about women getting kicked out of places for breastfeeding, it is nice to see the opposite for once.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
<snip>
I dunno, I think we SHOULD give women a pat on the back for being comfortable enough to nurse their babies in public should they be out and have a hungry baby. It does not mean the world is revolving around someone. I agree in some respect, but unfortunately, it is not seen as normal, and I know a lot of women are really tentative about nursing in public. Maybe a woman who is encouraged was really nervous about it, and the positive pat on the back made her realize it was not so scary, and gives her confidence to know she is not doing anything wrong.
Yes to this.

I was not really one of those mothers, but I knew other moms who were very self-conscious and worried about public nursing and they were the kind who would end up being intimidated if someone gave them a dirty look or made a negative comment, and this could cause them to either stop nursing or stop getting out of the house. Neither one good.

I was more of a "your problem, not mine, I'm feeding my kid" kind of mom. I was not "in your face" about anything but I treated it like the normal thing it is and did what needed to be done. I wasn't in danger of being scared into not nursing in public but I understand that many many women are NOT like that and the encouragement helps.

Quote:
Yes, because I can promise you that years down the road you will look back fondly to this stage in their lives and you will be glad you breastfed them, and any strangers you encounter who might not like you feeding your child in public won't be relevant at all. You aren't doing anything shameful! Don't let others negatively influence your decision to do what's right for your baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.