Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,387,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Show me a restaurant with that kind of policy, and I'll show you a restaurant to avoid.

And show me a restaurant with that kind of policy and I'll show you a restaurant to patronize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
True. I guess I think these restaurant discussions tend to then spill over into how children should act at grocery stores, Target, while walking down the street, on planes, etc., places where all kids might need to be sometimes. But it is outside the scope of this particular thread, you're right.

There is a time and place to act and behave in a child like way, it is up to the parents to instill manners and respect for themselves and towards others.

Think about it, if your child is acting in an unruly way in a grocery store and someone who does not see your child comes out and hit your child with a shopping cart or one of those huge machines they use to move merchandise, who would you blame? If your child cannot be controlled in any way then keep them at home. No one should have to deal with a kid constantly kicking their chair on a plane because they're a kid, that doesn't ease the discomfort. I had a child kick me in my head while me and my daughter was watching the Dark Knight and I grabbed his feet after trying to get it across to his grandparents that he was kicking me in my head and let them deal with it. So now I'm the bad person for just taking kicks to my head from a kid because kids should be kids and not deal with acting respectful and mindful? I paid money just like his parents and grandparents. That type of behavior should not be accepted at all. At parks they are more than welcomed to behave like kids and run wild, but still be mindful that they are not the only ones in the park and watch out. This is what parenting is all about, not just allowing your child to run rampant and thinks everyone will give them a pass because they are kids. My daughter doesn't get that pass at all, her mama taught her to respect others and herself and be mindful of her surroundings. Of course I have to continue saying it, but I started teaching her before she was one

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM

466 posts, read 816,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well, I don't think of Chili's (and I do not know the other places) as a family themed restaurant. It may have a kids menu but it also has a bar. Look at the print ads, commercials, etc for Chili's they are full of adults, drinking and socializing. Not many 3yos in their target audience. That should be an indicator that if your 3 yo's behavior would seem out of place in those ads THAN THAT IS NOT A RESTAURANT HE SHOULD GO TO.

Maybe limit yourself to TRULY family themed restaurants, ones where they do not serve alcohol should be a good start.

I didn't say family-themed, I said family-friendly. If a restaurant has a kids menu, a basket full of coloring books and crayons at the hostess stand and a stack of high chairs and boosters in a corner, I'm going to assume kids are more than welcome, bar or no bar, especially when some have kids eat free or half price nights. Unless you are disturbed about your kid eating the same vicinity as alcohol. I am not.

If some adult is looking for a complete adult night out at Chili's or Red Lobster, they might be looking in the wrong place. They are basic so-so chains that are always full of kids. Always. If my husband and I want some romantic evening night out, those wouldn't be the places I would choose.

ETA: And I've already explained that my normal-functioning child isn't allowed to act a fool, no matter where we are eating.

Last edited by carolinacool; 02-07-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM

18,532 posts, read 18,772,721 times
I wouldnt take a chld to a restuarant, cinema or anywhere if they climbed on seats, were noisy or out of control, it would just be embarrassing but some people cant seem to see past their offsrpring and think they have a right to be heard....

Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
I didn't say family-themed, I said family-friendly. If a restaurant has a kids menu, a basket full of coloring books and crayons at the hostess stand and a stack of high chairs and boosters in a corner, I'm going to assume kids are more than welcome, bar or no bar, especially when some have kids eat free or half price nights. Unless you are disturbed about your kid eating the same vicinity as alcohol. I am not.

If some adult is looking for a complete adult night out at Chili's or Red Lobster, they might be looking in the wrong place. They are basic so-so chains that are always full of kids. Always. If my husband and I want some romantic evening night out, those wouldn't be the places I would choose.
Maybe they shouldn't be full of kids.

It is natural to expect an atmosphere at a restaurant like the one they advertise. Seriously, do you see any toddlers in the chili's commercials? Why shouldn't people expect the restaurant to be like the way it is advertised?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe they shouldn't be full of kids.

It is natural to expect an atmosphere at a restaurant like the one they advertise. Seriously, do you see any toddlers in the chili's commercials? Why shouldn't people expect the restaurant to be like the way it is advertised?
All I see in the ads are people oohing and ahhing over whatever the dish of the month is. If we are tallking about Chili's in partcular, it tries to sell itself as some cool hangout, but in reality, it's Chili's! LOL It's families, it's people who come to sit in the bar to watch a game and it's some couples. The last time we were there, they asked if my son wanted to color some paper they had going on for charity where they hang the artwork around the restaurant. No it's not Chuck E. Cheese, but it sure as hell ain't Morton's. LOL

Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
All I see in the ads are people oohing and ahhing over whatever the dish of the month is. If we are tallking about Chili's in partcular, it tries to sell itself as some cool hangout, but in reality, it's Chili's! LOL It's families, it's people who come to sit in the bar to watch a game and it's some couples. The last time we were there, they asked if my son wanted to color some paper they had going on for charity where they hang the artwork around the restaurant. No it's not Chuck E. Cheese, but it sure as hell ain't Morton's. LOL

chilis commercial - YouTube

A couple from TGIFridays, a simialr restaurant.

TGI FRIDAY'S COMMERCIAL: ENGAGEMENT - YouTube

T.G.I. Friday's Commercial - YouTube

Clearly YOUR TODDLER is not their preferred demographic.

Do you know why Chili's isn't a cool hangout or why the audience they are specifically targeting avoids them, its because people insist that their toddlers belong EVERYWHERE, even places with bars.

Want to take your toddler out to a restaurant AND be considered a considerate parent? Take them to a child appropriate restaurant until they can behave in a manner that is not distracting or disruptive.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,699,143 times
I wish restaurants could ban children. It's not like everyone would do it. The law discriminates against age all of the time.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Clearly YOUR TODDLER is not their preferred demographic.

Do you know why Chili's isn't a cool hangout or why the audience they are specifically targeting avoids them, its because people insist that their toddlers belong EVERYWHERE, even places with bars.

Want to take your toddler out to a restaurant AND be considered a considerate parent? Take them to a child appropriate restaurant until they can behave in a manner that is not distracting or disruptive.
Then tell them to take away the crayons and high chairs and "kiddy cups." Oh, and tell them to stop sending ME coupons about how my kid can eat for free Wednesday or Thursday night or whatever. Clearly, they are targeting parents, so we must be in some demographic (even if we aren't in the commercial. *roll eyes*).

Is your problem children behaving badly or simple children being in places YOU don't think they should be - even if the place WANTS them to be there? Because those are two different arguments. I agree with the first, not the second. And I'll say it again, children need to behave wherever they are.

And I don't take my child everywhere. Good grief.

Last edited by carolinacool; 02-07-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I think it's lovely, and I wish more restaurants would encourage this type of random-act-of-kindness behavior. Red Robin restaurants are famous for this - they just find a moment that touches their heart and touch back with a free meal, or discount, or dessert, and even more.
We got dessert comped at Red Robin not too long ago. DH had rescued a balloon that was floating past our table and returned it to a little kid. Who was in a restaurant with a bar. And a zillion other kids. All of them well behaved as is the norm where we live.

Where are all these children running around restaurants causing havoc and chaos? Every time I read these threads I feel as if I live in this geographical oddity that causes all children entering into it to use their inside voices and say, "Please" to the waitstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting