Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,341,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A customer saw a $4.00 dollar discount on their receipt for well behave kids.
Sounds cool, but is it universal and what constitutes good behavior?
Kids that do nothing but play with I phones, no food on the floor.
Is it Universal, what if you bring the kids and in your mind they was well behaved and didnt get the discount.
What about parents with stroller blockades...

Will the patron be cheap on tip basing it off the discounted price...

Receipt Includes Discount For 'Well Behaved Kids' And The Internet Cheers (PHOTO)
I think it's insulting. If you are a parent with multiple children, you can attest to the fact that some of yours kids behaved better than others regardless of what you did. I have 4 children and two of my children were well behaved at all times and two of them were a royal pain. Not all kids are the same and they develop differently. Granted, I wasn't one of those parents that allowed their children to run loose but unfortunately there is only so much you can do. Some of my children would squirm or climb underneath the table no matter how many times you tried to discipline them. And I'm sorry but I don't believe in hitting children. Yes, if I had taken them outside and scared the living daylights out of them by hitting or yelling at them really loud, that would have worked but I don't believe in that type of meathead parenting. And I think my parenting style paid off as all 4 kids are 4.0 students and my eldest is attending a top 5 ranked university and is a National Merit Scholar. I would not pay homage to a restaurant that employed this policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Of course this mother was young and had no idea how to discipline a child.
You mean she didn't hit her kids or behave in an abusive manner toward them? The mother wasn't young and naive, she was just being a good mom. And standing up in a chair and running away...wow talk about juvenile delinquent, let's call the restaurant police!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,264,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You mean she didn't hit her kids or behave in an abusive manner toward them?
Winning the gold medal in jumping to conclusions.....

There are plenty of ways to discipline a child that doesn't involve abuse. But, more importantly, discipline begins before the child ever walks into the first restaurant. I have three high-energy kids myself, but they all learned early on how to behave themselves at the dinner table. It's really not that hard to do. One just needs to be consistent in reinforcing what is and isn't allowed.

But show me a parent whose small children are wandering around a restaurant, shouting at the top of their lungs, climbing under the seats and whatever else, and I'll show you a parent who hasn't mastered parenting skills. And, trust me, if your kids are doing those things, nobody things they're all that cute, your family and friends included.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,165,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Show me a restaurant with that kind of policy, and I'll show you a restaurant to avoid.
I would gladly pay an extra $15 to have a kid-free restaurant. Understand, it's as much to avoid the parents as the obnoxious kids.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Winning the gold medal in jumping to conclusions.....

There are plenty of ways to discipline a child that doesn't involve abuse. But, more importantly, discipline begins before the child ever walks into the first restaurant. I have three high-energy kids myself, but they all learned early on how to behave themselves at the dinner table. It's really not that hard to do. One just needs to be consistent in reinforcing what is and isn't allowed.

But show me a parent whose small children are wandering around a restaurant, shouting at the top of their lungs, climbing under the seats and whatever else, and I'll show you a parent who hasn't mastered parenting skills. And, trust me, if your kids are doing those things, nobody things they're all that cute, your family and friends included.
Do you really think these parents don't try to be "consistent in reinforcing what is and isn't allowed." Do you really think that notion never crossed their mind or that they aren't already trying to instill this? Children are individuals and have their own personalities and unfortunately some are very head strong regardless of what parents do. Instead of judging those parents or trying to reward or punish parents, how about we just relax and accept that some very good parents have some "high energy kids" that are going to behave poorly in a restaraunt at times. And in my experience, some people are very hypersensitive. Who cares if a kid stands up in their seating area or runs off when the mother calls to them. "Oh my dining experience is just ruined now because their kid stood up while they were eating"

Likewise, when people see you spanking and yelling at your kids at the top of your lungs to keep them seated in a restaurant, no one thinks you are a good parent, they think you are an idiot who lacks patience and doesn't understand children very well. To judge another parent in that situation is hypocritical on your part. Everybody has been there. Everyone has had kids misbehave in a restaurant, it doesn't make them bad parents.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-05-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,239,070 times
There are some kids that just don't or can't mind no matter what in certain circumstances.

I had some that would be perfect, some that I could stay one step ahead of and some that would climb the wall of the restaurant and bother others dining. I ended up not going to restaurants until the wall climber finally understood and stopped misbehaving -and it was years. But I spared the other diners her antics for years. She just was not going to sit still and eat. She was great in the stores, on road trips, on airplanes, but not restaurants.

People that don't have kids just don't understand I guess.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 AM

37,162 posts, read 42,330,115 times
I'm guessing it's not a "policy" and people here complaining about it may very well give their business to such a place without even knowing. Almost all businesses usually have ways to do whatever the heck they want, a way to override or apply special conditions to things. And if what they want is to give a show of appreciation, via a "well behaved child" discount for whatever reason, randomly and out of the blue, it's nobody elses business. Life isn't fair, don't fret about someone else getting kudos or deals. And if your kids are brats I don't care what your parenting style is, keep them out of restaurants. It's just good manners and common sense. I was lucky with mine but I had a friend with a hyperactive son and after knowing her awhile, and attempting lunch a few times, I would only get together with her at our homes or a park or something. I didn't want to inflict him on innocent folks trying to have a quiet meal.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,932,800 times
My SIL in a nice restaurant loudly proclaimed over and over to her 2yr old :"Did Binny MAKE A POOPY?
Needless to say, she is a horrid parent.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,882,398 times
My kids behaved well in restaurants because it was expected of them.

I can't count how many times other diners or restaurant employees complimented them on their behavior.

Occasionally a parent of a misbehaving child would mention that I was "lucky" that I had well behaved children. It doesn't just happen, it requires discipline.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM

538 posts, read 1,014,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Do you really think these parents don't try to be "consistent in reinforcing what is and isn't allowed." Do you really think that notion never crossed their mind or that they aren't already trying to instill this? Children are individuals and have their own personalities and unfortunately some are very head strong regardless of what parents do. Instead of judging those parents or trying to reward or punish parents, how about we just relax and accept that some very good parents have some "high energy kids" that are going to behave poorly in a restaraunt at times. And in my experience, some people are very hypersensitive. Who cares if a kid stands up in their seating area or runs off when the mother calls to them. "Oh my dining experience is just ruined now because their kid stood up while they were eating"

Likewise, when people see you spanking and yelling at your kids at the top of your lungs to keep them seated in a restaurant, no one thinks you are a good parent, they think you are an idiot who lacks patience and doesn't understand children very well. To judge another parent in that situation is hypocritical on your part. Everybody has been there. Everyone has had kids misbehave in a restaurant, it doesn't make them bad parents.
This restaurant entertains a lot of older people. They don't want an obnoxious child standing up in their seat, looking over the dividing wall staring at them while they eat. Then when the mother says sit down, the kid yells "NO" basically in their face. This happened at least 2 times. Also, a child running around in a restaurant could easily knock someone down. It's not good for business.

I don't care how you discipline your child. But if you can't handle them in a restaurant, don't bring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting