Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd grader choice of a birthday dinner, what would they choose?
A restaurants like Applebees, Chilis, Outback etc 7 24.14%
A restaurant offering other than local cuisine. (Indian, Chinese etc) 6 20.69%
A fast food type place such as Chik Fil A, McDonalds, Popeye's etc 16 55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times

Advertisements

Let's say your kids are in 2nd grade. You told them you were taking them to anywhere they wanted to go for their birthday dinner. What type of place would they choose?

This came up in another forum here and it got me curious. This isn't a bragging thread on oooh my kid eats only at fancy restaurants vs fast food etc. It's a genuine curiosity to see if parents' choices of dining influences their kids' choices.

I eat both fast food and all kinds of ethnic foods from all over the world. I grew up eating that way since my family is from a variety of places. I am raising my kids the same way. They do like fast food but they always consider that more of a "lunch" thing and not a dinner. If they have a choice in where to go for dinner, they invariably pick a sit down restaurant. What would your kids pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
In 2nd grade, our kids wanted McDonalsd. All the time. Ugh. Had to have a Play Place though. Now that they're middle schoolers, they hate Mickey D.'s and want Cook Out, which is really cheap and kinda decent, so there we go.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
In 2nd grade, our kids wanted McDonalsd. All the time. Ugh. Had to have a Play Place though. Now that they're middle schoolers, they hate Mickey D.'s and want Cook Out, which is really cheap and kinda decent, so there we go.
Kind of decent? We love Cook out! My kids has and will choose the ethnic restaurant for dinner.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
My daughter would choose Chuck E Cheese first, followed by CiCi's Pizza and then Chick-Fil-A.

I can understand Chuck E Cheese (which she has done once so far for her birthday) due to the fun factor and attention of costumed characters. I can understand Chick-Fil-A due to the playground and her love of chicken nuggets. But, I do not know why she has a fixation on CiCi's. I don't take her there, but she's gone for a school function and a chearleading/tumble event. There is no fun factor and the pizza, like Chuck E Cheese, is fairly horrible, IMHO.

I'm going to try to make all future parties for both kids be backyard parties. Between a pool, which we are shopping for now, and an inflatable delivered, I think the kids should be in good shape.

This brings up another question which I'll start a new thread.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 AM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Let's say your kids are in 2nd grade. You told them you were taking them to anywhere they wanted to go for their birthday dinner. What type of place would they choose?
Definitely NOT Tilted Kilt!
Seriously.
I am surprised that is even an option in your poll.

We did very little fast food.
Our kids would go to Hoss's, Eat 'n Park and the like.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 AM

606 posts, read 944,633 times
Mine was in second grade last year and asked for sushi. I think odds are very high she'll either choose the same place again this year or she'll have me cook her favorite dish at home.

I'm sure that our dining choices influence hers significantly -- in particular, we eat very, very little fast food for a number of reasons (there are very few chains convenient to our house but lots of other restaurants, I'm celiac and the limited GF options at most fast food places don't appeal to me in the slightest, and we have some local options that are tastier and no more expensive than fast food if we want to grab something quick).

Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Noodles & Company, a local diner, or Chinese food. About Cici's pizza, a lot of kids seem to like the buffet style where you can choose what you want. My cousin's kids love Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes, and when I was a kid my favorite restaurant was Furr's.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Noodles & Company, a local diner, or Chinese food. About Cici's pizza, a lot of kids seem to like the buffet style where you can choose what you want. My cousin's kids love Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes, and when I was a kid my favorite restaurant was Furr's.

I'll second Noodles & Co and Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes for a "regular" dinner out when my kids were younger. A special/celebratory dinner out they would choose either a Chinese dinner or a Hibachi style restaurant.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,890 times
Farrells Ice Cream Parlor

Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,490,004 times
My second-grader's favorites:
a) Chuck-E-Cheese (because it is fun), b) the local Chinese buffet (Because you can get whatever you want), c) CiCis (again, buffets are AWESOME), with a tie for d) Red Lobster (biscuits) and McDonalds (toys)

At two-three, she loved Italian food. When she was four-five, she wanted Mexican food all the time.

The current four-year-old will go anywhere that has burgers-with-cheese-and-ketchup-AND-NO-PICKLES.

The six year old eats anything put in front of her. She doesn't have a favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting