Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,965,668 times

Advertisements

Gotta be honest here.....chilis, Applebee's, tgifridays and the like would be the LAST place on my radar for an evening out sans kids......bar or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Gotta be honest here.....chilis, Applebee's, tgifridays and the like would be the LAST place on my radar for an evening out sans kids......bar or not.
For me and mine, its more of a stop on the way to or from movies but my brother worked at the local chain with a bar while in college. He said it was a big scene for the over 40 somethings to sing karaoke, play pool, etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think it is about who has the money. Who goes out to eat more, a family with preschoolers, or young adults without kids?
Right, the young adults, who also buy alcohol, which has the best mark up in the house.

That is their clientele.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Quote:
Amen to that!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Seriously? We should only take kids to restaurants with ball pits? Should we wait until they are 21 to take them to chili's or applebees? red robin is my kids favorite. They even give out balloons. And they have a bar. The horror.
Where did I say that?

What I said was for parents who think it is too much to ask that children be non-disruptive in the restaurant they should pick restaurants geared towards children. That parent then said TGIFs, Chilis, etc were geared towards children. I think those restaurants are clearly marketing themselves to the adult set due to the existence of the bar, pool tables, sports memorabilia, etc while child themed restaurants market themselves by their features, like a ball pit or play area.

Well behaved children are welcome at any restaurant, aren't they?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,965,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
For me and mine, its more of a stop on the way to or from movies but my brother worked at the local chain with a bar while in college. He said it was a big scene for the over 40 somethings to sing karaoke, play pool, etc.
Well I guess we have way too many good micro breweries and local restaurants here for a Chilies to a scene for the over 40's crowd.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well I guess we have way too many good micro breweries and local restaurants here for a Chilies to a scene for the over 40's crowd.
When we get a girls night out, we hop. We start at one place and go to many over the course of an evening. Rarely do we go out to a fancy restaurant for GNO unless we are going to the city. We are much more interested in socializing then eating, places like the chains are much more conducive to socializing in a group than the Four Seasons.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,586,609 times
Quote:
Exactly! And I've never seen karaoke or a pool table in any of those chains.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Where did I say that?

What I said was for parents who think it is too much to ask that children be non-disruptive in the restaurant they should pick restaurants geared towards children. That parent then said TGIFs, Chilis, etc were geared towards children. I think those restaurants are clearly marketing themselves to the adult set due to the existence of the bar, pool tables, sports memorabilia, etc while child themed restaurants market themselves by their features, like a ball pit or play area.

Well behaved children are welcome at any restaurant, aren't they?
Never have i seen a pool table in an applebees or a chili's. Why does a restaurant have to be geared toward only 1 demographic? Do adults not accompany the children into these places? Are they not allowed to have a drink with dinner? What a ridiculous argument this thread has turned into.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Do you really think these parents don't try to be "consistent in reinforcing what is and isn't allowed." Do you really think that notion never crossed their mind or that they aren't already trying to instill this? Children are individuals and have their own personalities and unfortunately some are very head strong regardless of what parents do. Instead of judging those parents or trying to reward or punish parents, how about we just relax and accept that some very good parents have some "high energy kids" that are going to behave poorly in a restaraunt at times. And in my experience, some people are very hypersensitive. Who cares if a kid stands up in their seating area or runs off when the mother calls to them. "Oh my dining experience is just ruined now because their kid stood up while they were eating"

Likewise, when people see you spanking and yelling at your kids at the top of your lungs to keep them seated in a restaurant, no one thinks you are a good parent, they think you are an idiot who lacks patience and doesn't understand children very well. To judge another parent in that situation is hypocritical on your part. Everybody has been there. Everyone has had kids misbehave in a restaurant, it doesn't make them bad parents.
Blah blah blah blahbity blah. What? You think you're the only parent on the planet with headstrong kids? And why do you equate having disciplined kids with yelling or spanking? It's quite possible that you can have well-behaved kids without resorting to that kind of foolishness.

I mean, if we were eating at a pizza place, sure. Let them run all over the place. But if I'm going someplace nicer for a quiet evening out and I have to listen to your out-of-control munchkins causing chaos then, yeah, I'm going to be annoyed. Me and everyone else in the restaurant for that matter.

It's very simple. You teach your kids from the get-go how to behave at a dinner table. If you let them wander all over the place during mealtime at home, they're going to wander all over the place in a restaurant. If they yell at your dinner table, they'll yell in the restaurant. Your job as a parent is to teach them better behavior wherever they are, and it begins at home.

Hey, I've had kids misbehave in public places. Guess what we did? We removed them from the place. As in pronto. We never had an escalating series of threats. We simply gave one warning and whisked them away if they disobeyed. Funny, we typically only had to do it once per child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting