Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,264,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I'm just laughing at the idea that my 3-year-old should be able to sit down and color for 45 minutes uninterrupted. LOL (from upthread)

I have a neutral behavior child, I guess. We sometimes have to tell him to sit down and stop staring at people (I hate this!), to stop kicking his feet on the chair if we are in a booth, to stop dropping his crayons on the floor, etc. So he's not a perfect angel, but he is also not a runner or a screamer, which I think is more annoying. We do bring his LeapPad and our cellphones with kid apps, a couple of Hot Wheels cars and a snack. Since he just turned 3, I find most of his behavior age appropriate and no, I don't go running for the doors if he whines for 30 seconds. He always pulls it together. We've only had to leave a restaurant once when he was 1.
Gosh. I raised three kids, none of whom were shrinking violets. All learned to sit still because it was expected of them at an early age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What's really annoying is when childless adults dine at family friendly places and then complain when children are misbehaving. Even when my wife and I didn't have children, we had enough common sense to avoid those establishments and if we did go there, we didn't complain if someone's toddler started to scream. We understood it comes with the territory. It just seems like a lot of people are bitter and unsatisfied with their own lives that they allow littles things like kids misbehaving to really upset them. Some of the things that people are complaining about are so petty like getting upset because someone's kid in a booth refuses to sit or a baby or toddler screams for a few seconds. Big deal, develop some thick skin and get over it. If you are dining at a quiet romantic restaurant then I can understand being upset if someone brings their toddler and they start screaming but if you are going to a place like Applebees on a Friday or Saturday night, guess what kids are going to be there and they will scream. You would have to be a moron not to know that in advance.
Let's just dispute your points one by one.

1. Family-friendly restaurant does not mean kids get to do whatever they want. If a toddler is screaming her head off, then it is the duty of the parent to remove the child from the place.

2. I think it's hilarious that you think just because people want to enjoy a peaceful meal, they are bitter and unsatisfied if they are annoyed if someone's brats are disrupting matters. Talk about blaming the victim.

3. You seem to think that small children are complete blithering idiots incapable of regulating their behavior. Nothing could be further from the truth. You teach your children at an early age how to behave and -- guess what? -- they behave that way. In fact, it's kind of a revealing statement on your part, as if there's one code of behavior at home and one in a restaurant.

4. While an Applebees isn't exactly my idea of a night out with the Missus, this statement by you kind of reveals you as a snob. I've hauled my kids to Applebees a few times in my life. And they behaved. But for some people out there, Applebees is date night.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sorry but I completely disagree with your approach. While I think your approach may be successful, I think it's obsessive. Kids are kids. And many will misbehave. To go to a McDonalds to practice is obsessive. Children are going to mature and develop as they grow older. Most of the time they lack the emotional and intellectual development to understand their actions and they are not trying to annoy people. i think a little more empathy and patience is in order. I'm not advocating that children should be allowed to run all over the place but to expect them to behave like adults at that age is ridiculous. I just disapprove of the mentality and approach parents like you adopt. To you, it's a game and you want your children to behave so you can show off and say "See my kids are so well behaved" while you judge other parents whose kids don't act like yours. To me it's just an element of the Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder in which people have an unhealthy desire for order. For the record, my kids were like most kids. There were nights, they were well behaved and received compliments and there were nights they were misbehaved and I ended up tipping 30% and apologizing to nearby guests. I would never take my children to a McDonalds just to practice in anticipation of going to an adult restaurant. I'm sorry but I think that's insane. I would much rather take my kids to the park instead.
My word. You have this totally, utterly backwards. You teach the kids now how to behave now. Trust me. Children are smarter than you give them credit. It doesn't mean they goosestep around. It doesn't mean they are lobotomized or robots. It just means that they know how to behave in society. I have an ADHD kid and, when he was young, he still managed to sit in a restaurant for an hour at a time without annoying the other diners.

Obsessive compulsive, my foot. It is teaching your child that he or she is not the center of the universe and that you actually give a rip about other people. And all that hippy-dippy nonsense about expressing oneself does not mean that your kids get to interrupt the meals of others.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,854,678 times
If your kid is permitted to kick the back of my seat, am I permitted to sit behind you and kick the back of yours?

If your kid throwing food at my table is tolerated by you, will my throwing food at you be tolerated too?

If your child yelling and shouting with joy over something he sees/experiences, his voice directed toward my table, is permitted, is my yelling and shouting at you permitted?

No? Then don't permit it of your child. If it's good enough for your kid because "kids will be kids," then it's good enough for adults, because "adults will be adults."

Oh and if your kid hits ME - just hold your arm out and be prepared to take the punch.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM

466 posts, read 817,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Gosh. I raised three kids, none of whom were shrinking violets. All learned to sit still because it was expected of them at an early age.
Of course. Did I disagree with you? That's why we tell him to sit! LOL Kids don't learn these things in a vaccuum. And honestly, we probably confuse him because we tell him to stand up because we usually have to readjust his booster seat a couple of times during a meal.

And for the record, I don't believe anyone here said these types of places are "geared toward" children. We said they serve and welcome children and have amenities that make bringing children easier. And that families must be part of their demographic if they offer discounts specifically for children.

This thread has blown up kind of crazy! LOL

Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM

37,221 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Where did I say that?

What I said was for parents who think it is too much to ask that children be non-disruptive in the restaurant they should pick restaurants geared towards children. That parent then said TGIFs, Chilis, etc were geared towards children. I think those restaurants are clearly marketing themselves to the adult set due to the existence of the bar, pool tables, sports memorabilia, etc while child themed restaurants market themselves by their features, like a ball pit or play area.

Well behaved children are welcome at any restaurant, aren't they?
It is not necessary to have a play area to be child friendly. I agree with the posters that say if child menus and high chairs are available, then families with children are definitely part of the restaurant demographic. Some of the chains have web sites directed at kids. Some T. G. I. Fridays do children's birthday parties. In addition, there are a variety of marketing approaches, some of which may be aimed a specific classes of customers. That does not mean that other classes are not being sought in other ways. Chili's for example, often has free meals for children coupons on its facebook page. Television ads are generally directed at the demographic watching the program during which the ad runs, not necessarily the entire demographic for the restaurant. The presence of a bar or service of alcoholic beverages does not mean the restaurant is not family friendly. After all, I suspect that most parents who would order alcohol in a restaurant also drink it at home.

The Best Family Restaurant Chains in America

Top 10 Child-Friendly Restaurant Chains in the U.S. in 2011

Yes, well-behaved children tend to be welcome anywhere. They need to be taught what is expected of them and removed from the restaurant if they do not live up to expectations. That includes child centered eateries like McDonald's. Even in those places, the yelling and running around needs to be confined to the play area.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,785,611 times
Applebee's "B Bar" Grand Opening | Facebook

My local Applebee's "B" Bar, no kids allowed (after 4 or 5) pool tables, bands, etc. I had no idea other Applebee's were not like this one.

Same goes for the local TGIFridays. Maybe you could take a toddler there during the day, but by dinner time not really that kinda place. I have never seen a toddler there but I only go a few times a year. I know sometimes they do fundraisers on the weekends that are more all ages kind of thing.

https://www.facebook.com/eatontownfridays

Again, maybe its local difference.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,247,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Applebee's "B Bar" Grand Opening | Facebook

My local Applebee's "B" Bar, no kids allowed (after 4 or 5) pool tables, bands, etc. I had no idea other Applebee's were not like this one.

Same goes for the local TGIFridays. Maybe you could take a toddler there during the day, but by dinner time not really that kinda place. I have never seen a toddler there but I only go a few times a year. I know sometimes they do fundraisers on the weekends that are more all ages kind of thing.

https://www.facebook.com/eatontownfridays
Oh gosh, no. I've never seen one like that.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM

37,221 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but I have a friend with a 6-year-old son who is autistic and my heart breaks when I hear her talk/write about the stares and comments she gets in public. I get the frustration of hearing kids scream and scream, but I do try to keep in mind I don't know what the issue is. I also don't think these children should need to sit at home their entire lives, either.
I would hope that with increasing awareness of autism and its behaviors that her experiences will become less trying. There is hope:

Autistic Child Is Disruptive in Café: How Will Patrons React? - ABC News

T.G.I. Fridays sponsors "Autism Night" in some locations.

Watch the "What Would You Do?" video.

Houston Waiter Who Stood Up For Special Needs Child Becomes Hero « CBS Houston

Waiter, supported by the restaurant, denied service to a patron who made a derogatory remark about a child with Down syndrome.

See the section on the community here:
Living With Your Child With Special Needs

Good luck to your friend and her child.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 PM

466 posts, read 817,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Oh gosh, no. I've never seen one like that.
Wow, me neither. I wonder if it's a new concept they are trying out in select markets. As for Friday's, in all honesty, the last time I was there I was pregnant, so four years ago. The service at our local store has never been great, so we just don't go. I do know that its bar stays open later than the other places - I think either 1 or 1:30 a.m., so maybe there is more of a scene then, but I can't imagine any kids would there past 10 p.m. on a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting