Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I understand that there are rules, I understand that there are parents who would not like their child filmed or photographed. What I have yet to see though is a single actual case of a pedophile fixating on a child in the background of a picture or film posted on social media, hunting them down and abusing them...anyone?
Most cases I have ever seen or heard of involving an adult stalking a child online involve the child having some sort of online contact with this person. Somehow, whether it be through a fake online profile, mutual friends on a social media site, or just a online chance encounter, the predator lures the child TO them, or gathers enough information FROM the child directly to be able to make real life contact. But no, I have never heard of a pedophile finding, stalking and/or abusing a child that happened to be in the background of someone else's photo, or from any photo actually. Not to say it can never happen, but it seems extremely farfetched to me. Teaching a child about what to do/not do, who to talk to, or what information not to share online would go a lot farther to protect her than having a stroke about someone else's snapshot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here are the results using the terms "Cases of social internet sites being used by child predators"
plenty of links cases of social internet sites being used by child preditors - Yahoo! Search Results
None involving a photograph of a child in the background of someone else's picture...again, these are children who had contact with predators online. I'm not saying there's not danger in social media sites, but I don't think a parent's picture of their child with other children in the background is the danger. Jmo.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
I wonder if the OP has been tracking the thread?? No updates.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 AM

708 posts, read 879,374 times
I haven't read all of the replies.

There is a difference between filing an actual recital and weekly classes. Talk to the owner of the dance studio, and let her know your concerns. Because parents can be disruptive/distracting , many studios have you wait in a separate area during class time.

If you've actually had kids in dance, many studios DO NOT allow you to video your child's performance, and prefer that you buy a DVD from them. I'm sure there is a profit motive involved, but it also makes the experience more pleasant when everyone isn't being distracted by others trying to film.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM

708 posts, read 879,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When in a public place you have no expectation of privacy. Anyone can take your picture or your child's picture in a public place. Athletic associations do not want to have to defend themselves against lawsuits all the time so they require the release from parents. In reality a parent will not win a case where their child was photographed on a football field or basketball court.

So, yes it is a matter of perceived liability. But in reality anyone can take your child's picture in a public place. There might be an issue if someone was going to use the pictures to make money. But another parent is not likely to be doing that.
It isn't a public place, I'm assuming it is a privately owned dance studio. Public school athletics is not the same as an activity that this parent probably pays a lot of money for.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
I don't care what you think the chance's are it doesn't give you the right to take that chance with other children. I don't consider it safe you however don't care because you think it is safe. It still doesn't mean you should be able to post any pictures and/or videos with other parents children in them without their permission. Keep your pictures/videos of my kids away from your Uncle Bob and any other possible freak out there on the internet of which you do not have control over.

If a child is more likely to be killed/harmed riding their bike as opposed being killed/harmed in a car crash then hey it's not that dangerous and heck they are in more danger on a bike than a car so don't make them wear seat belts.
I see you completely missed the point. In my opinion understanding real risk, and making decisions accordingly makes living life a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,661,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I see you completely missed the point. In my opinion understanding real risk, and making decisions accordingly makes living life a lot easier and more enjoyable.
But people by and large suck as assessing and responding to risk. They prioritize whatever ghoulish far out story creeps them out the most over what happens to kids every day of the week.

Your earlier example of automotive safety is a good one. I know mothers who spend insane amounts of money making certain every crumb that goes down their kid's hatch is organic - and then forward face them too early, in poorly installed carseats, and drive aggressively while yapping on the cell phone. They cannot understand that they are putting their child in far more danger that way.

As for the OP... like most others, I think you went about it all wrong. I would love an update.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,504,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
But people by and large suck as assessing and responding to risk. They prioritize whatever ghoulish far out story creeps them out the most over what happens to kids every day of the week.

Your earlier example of automotive safety is a good one. I know mothers who spend insane amounts of money making certain every crumb that goes down their kid's hatch is organic - and then forward face them too early, in poorly installed carseats, and drive aggressively while yapping on the cell phone. They cannot understand that they are putting their child in far more danger that way.

As for the OP... like most others, I think you went about it all wrong. I would love an update.
Yes, this is my point. We can fear a bear attack in the middle of Chicago because it "could" happen. But when there is zero history of such an event happening, the probability of it happening is extremely close to zero. These are the same parents who fear poisoned Halloween candy...doesn't happen, has never happened, but it "could" so therefore let's fear it.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I wonder if the OP has been tracking the thread?? No updates.
It's an interesting topic regardless of whether the OP checks back with us.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
I haven't read all of the replies.

There is a difference between filing an actual recital and weekly classes. Talk to the owner of the dance studio, and let her know your concerns. Because parents can be disruptive/distracting , many studios have you wait in a separate area during class time.

If you've actually had kids in dance, many studios DO NOT allow you to video your child's performance, and prefer that you buy a DVD from them. I'm sure there is a profit motive involved, but it also makes the experience more pleasant when everyone isn't being distracted by others trying to film.
How is the risk to a child any different if you buy a DVD from the school or if you make your own recording? The fact remains that another parent can take the recording with your child in it and put it on any website that they choose. Other people will still see the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting